shape
carat
color
clarity

radiant diamond help please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ms929217

Rough_Rock
I need to find a almost exact size 1.5 carat radiant diamond soon. I will adding it to a Michael B. petite princess ring. not the 3 sided. out of my price range.

I need one that is almost square and am looking to spend about 8K. Here are the best two I have found so far. I am open to opinions and advice please.

DIAMOND #1

Price: $8,143
Carat weight: 1.51
Cut: Very Good
Color: G
Clarity: SI1
Price per carat: $5,393
Depth %: 71.4%
Table %: 68%
Symmetry: Good
Polish: Very good
Girdle: Thin to medium, polished
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.67 x 6.51 x 4.65 mm
Length/width ratio: 1.02

DIAMOND #2

Price: $8,240
Carat weight: 1.51
Cut: Premium
Color: G
Clarity: SI1
Certificate: GIA
Depth: 70.0%
Table: 61.0%
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Slightly thick
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.30*6.26*4.38
Ratio: 1.01

Which one is better? Should I ask for pictures? Any help would be appreciated!
1.gif

SYC

Shiny_Rock
the dimensions on these 2 stones seem very different. are you sure you can pick just based on carat weight, or do you need a stone within a certain range of measurements too?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You need pictures, and Idealscope Image and an ASET image. Can''t really help you at alll just by the numbers. I will say that they are both too deep. I would look for depth in the mid 60''s and I like a smaller table like that of the second one.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would call Good Old Gold.

These are two they have on their site, both are larger than what you want, that are nice. And they generally have the nicest square radiants I''ve seen sourced.

But I would call them and ask them to get in 3 square radiants, best cut possible, not overly deep, G-H SI eyeclean. 1.4-1.6 carats.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4366/ Good old Gold is the first place I''d call if I wanted a square radiant.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto Gypsy,

We really need images in order to help much regrettably, radiants need to be seen to be judged.

ms929217

Rough_Rock
I appreciate the help so far. I guess I am really looking for 1.5 because this is the the recommended high carat weight for my setting.

So i guess the ideal depth is lower...60''s...I will continue looking.

I really don''t want to spend more than 9k.

Anthing anyone else finds for me to look at would be awesome. Thanks.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
1.5 might be the high end, but I think what''s more important is the proper proportion of your stone to the setting. You could have a deep 1.5 that doesn''t have the spread to support a really nice effect in the setting. Whereas you could go for a slightly lower weight but more shallow (bigger spread) that would appear larger and have the best proportion/symmetry in the setting. Trust the PSers to find a great stone, they''re fabulous. One thing that might help is to have a picture of the setting. Could you post one?

ms929217

Rough_Rock
and oh yea finger size is 4.5

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pretty! I would base your search on dimensions and specs vs carat weight alone. Any stone is going to look large in that setting because it''s so delicate.

ms929217

Rough_Rock
Ok. Thanks. I know my 4 C''s.

Cut is most important.

I am kind of confused about the whole table/depth thing. What is ideal for a radiant?

Girdle good = not to thin or too thinck...in the middle

I am not so much interested in what is rare and pricey but what is going to make this diamond shine brightly!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2009 8:55:58 AM
Author: ms929217
Ok. Thanks. I know my 4 C's.

Cut is most important.

I am kind of confused about the whole table/depth thing. What is ideal for a radiant?

Girdle good = not to thin or too thinck...in the middle

I am not so much interested in what is rare and pricey but what is going to make this diamond shine brightly!
There really isn't a ' recipe' you can follow with radiants which will result in a well cut diamond unfortunately, and depth and table are only a part of the story. The girdle yes, not too thin or not too thick is preferred. So that is why we really need images such as ASET and photos in order to be able to judge a radiant. You can read this chart and use it as a guide only, but don't get hung up on the numbers otherwise you could miss out on some lovely diamonds which might suit you very well.

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/fnc2.asp

ms929217

Rough_Rock
I sent goodoldgold an e-mail to find me a diamond. I can pay slightly more for a beautiful diamond. Thanks for the chart. I would really like to buy the diamond today!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2009 9:18:45 AM
I sent goodoldgold an e-mail to find me a diamond. I can pay slightly more for a beautiful diamond. Thanks for the chart. I would really like to buy the diamond today!
I understand, remember sometimes nice radiants can take a bit of time to find, so make sure you love the one you choose!

ms929217

Rough_Rock
Ok. So I still can''t find what I want. I have in a rectangular radiant. But not square!
Frustrating!

Carat - as close to 1.5 as possible
Color - as low as G
Clarity - as low as SI 1 as long as eye clean...would prefer no less than VS2
Depth - 58 - 69 (60-65 BEST)
Table - 59 - 68 (60-60.5 BEST I''ve heard a smaller table gives more sparkle)
girdle - very thin to slightly thick to thick
L/W - no greater than 1.05! Closer to square the better.

Is my diamond out there? Under 10K?

Please help!

Thanks a trillion!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2009 10:44:00 AM
Ok. So I still can't find what I want. I have in a rectangular radiant. But not square!
Frustrating!

Carat - as close to 1.5 as possible
Color - as low as G
Clarity - as low as SI 1 as long as eye clean...would prefer no less than VS2
Depth - 58 - 69 (60-65 BEST)
Table - 59 - 68 (60-60.5 BEST I've heard a smaller table gives more sparkle)
girdle - very thin to slightly thick to thick
L/W - no greater than 1.05! Closer to square the better.

Is my diamond out there? Under 10K?

Please help!

Thanks a trillion!
I took a look but there isn't much out there in the shape you want unfortunately for in house diamonds, you could try contacting a vendor of your choice such as GOG or Whiteflash and asking them to look into finding you a nice radiant from the virtual listings perhaps.

Also you could try and see if there is a dealer in your area selling these diamonds www.radiantcut.com

ms929217

Rough_Rock
I think I''m going to go with diamond #2.

Smaller table. Less depth. Polish better. A little more square. And actually cheaper. Found out price is $7700.

Should I buy? Probably today? What didnt you like about the ring Gypsy? I think it is a good deal for the price? It is SI? It didnt look bad to me.

They are e-mailing me on e of the images.

If anyone sees one similar that they think is a better deal plz let me know.

And oh yea, while I am sure the original cut radiant is beautiful and premium...I''m thinking it might just be a little overpriced becaused it is the "original".

Thanks for the continued help!

ms929217

Rough_Rock
sending ASET image. Could not do Ideal scope?

Good old gold has not found anything per my request.

Thanks.

I will let all look at ASET image for thoughts if i can figure out how to post it.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Post the images when you get them then we can take a look!

ms929217

Rough_Rock
From a vendor:

Thank you for your inquiry. The best option I was able to locate within the range of your desired characteristics and within the confines of our own selection criteria in terms of the proportions is a GIA graded radiant cut diamond weighing 1.22 carats which is Internally Flawless in clarity and E in color with negligible fluorescence. According to the GIA the diamond measures 6.93 x 5.92 x 3.55 mm with a total depth of 60% and a table diameter of 61% with a thin to medium girdle and no culet. The GIA rated the polish of the diamond as Excellent and the symmetry as Very Good. The diamond is currently available for $8,100.00 and will be discounted to $7,865.00 for payment via wire transfer, plus shipping. Here is a copy of the lab report for your review.

L/W 1.17 to 1.

Sounds good to me except the L/W. I am looking for more square.

Will keep looking...

ms929217

Rough_Rock
idealscope #1

1203994IS.JPG

ms929217

Rough_Rock
scope #2 not working yet. Let me work on it.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Standing by....

asforhim

Rough_Rock
I suggest caution purchasing radiants or any other fancy cut before laying your eyes on several. Cut dimensions are useless in fancy stones. There really is no way to examine their beauty without seeing them.

In regards to you staying in the 1.5 ct range... again ct wt doesn''t tell the whole story with radiants. Depending on the depth of the stone, the dimensions will vary considerably. For instance, the 2.32 ct Harry Winston I recently purchased has a depth of only 55%. The dimensions are closer to those in the 3 ct range.

2.32 ct round cornered, rectangular modified brilliant
8.54 x 7.93 x 4.38 mm
Depth: 55.2%
Table: 61%
Girdle: medium to thick
Polish: Very Good
Clarity: VS1
Color: E
Flourescence: None

LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyzRRuY4oFI

In fact if you look at the offical radiant cut website, under dimensions, they recommend less depth than most radiants are cut at.

You can find radiants in the 1.1-1.2 ct range with similar L and W dimensions as a 1.5 ct and you can find 2.0 ct stones with similar L and W dimensions to the 1.5 ct stone.

ms929217

Rough_Rock
idealscope #2

kingggekubacha.JPG

ms929217

Rough_Rock
Now let me clarify,

The first idealscope is for Diamond #2...above listed.

I decided against the Diamond #1...above listed.

The second idealscope is for a different diamond altogether that I am considering. Is there any advice anyone can give based solely upon the (2) pics.

thanks.

Mitch

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/18/2009 3:36:10 PM
idealscope #2
I think this diamond looks promising, do you have the photo of the actual diamond also? Colour and clarity, lab report?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results