shape
carat
color
clarity

Radiant cut diamond advice please!

madsteph999

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a radiant cut diamond to have set in a custom platinum "twisted wire" 4 claw setting (see photo for reference).

I was hoping to get some advice as to which radiant cut diamond you would consider the best, since the one i had picked out was sold just hours before my order was to be placed!

I am located in Australia and only interested in buying from this website as they are in the process of designing the band i'd like.

I love the "crushed ice" look of the radiant cut diamonds and want something as big as possible within my budget, without sacrificing on clarity or colour. The diamond i had picked was 1.7ct / G / VS2 with face up area the same or bigger than 1.8-1.9ct similar diamonds i had been looking at. So I'm happy to go smaller weight for similar face up value.

These are the ones I have ear marked but would appreciate any feedback as I don't have a professional eye for the faceting and how light would reflect within the diamond.

1.8ct / H / VS1 / face up value 45.6mm2

1.7ct / G / VS1 - larger face up value (46.6mm2) than the above 1.8ct and better colour...i think this is my pick of the lot?

1.7ct / F / VVS2 - much smaller face up value than the two above (42.5mm2) but is it a much better quality diamond?

1.7ct / G / VVS2 / face up value 46.1mm2 - this one is said to be "super ideal" whereas the others are only very good cuts (however i believe radiant cuts are only certified to VG and anything beyond that is the company's own rating?) but the corner edges look longer than normal to me and as such is it less desirable?

Again I really appreciate anybody who takes the time to comment, and just want to reiterate that while I have done lots of research, I am not a professional and can't tell from a video what cut/shape will give the most brilliant/firey looking diamond!

Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 2.41.49 pm.png example of twisted wire band.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First 3 are "mushy" under the table (wont have good light return). I have the most hope for the last one but I wouldnt buy any of those 4
if it were for me.

Here is a better example of mushy and then following will be one with good (as in what to look for) light return.
Mushy stones sort of eat the light and do not return the light to the observer's eye (show brightness and flashes).

Better radiants that have better light return. Does it have to be elongated? Elongated with good light return are harder to find.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/1.02-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-sku-7966087 (one of my favorite faceting patterns in a radiant)

madsteph999

Rough_Rock
First 3 are "mushy" under the table (wont have good light return). I have the most hope for the last one but I wouldnt buy any of those 4
if it were for me.

Here is a better example of mushy and then following will be one with good (as in what to look for) light return.
Mushy stones sort of eat the light and do not return the light to the observer's eye (show brightness and flashes).

Better radiants that have better light return. Does it have to be elongated? Elongated with good light return are harder to find.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/1.02-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-sku-7966087 (one of my favorite faceting patterns in a radiant)

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain that...now that you've pointed out the difference in the patterns I can see it in those stones, I just don't think I can pick it up myself from any old photo! But it's definitely helpful to know what to look for.

I do want an elongated radiant so may just have to be patient and wait for the right one to come up...

I'll keep searching, thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results