shape
carat
color
clarity

Radiant - Advice on these specs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

talo

Rough_Rock
Here are the specs that I took with me:
Depth: 72.6%
Table%: 58.00%
1.28ct
Polish: V Good
Symmetry: V Good
Fluorescence: None

Color: F
VVS1

Was told it was an "ideal" cut. It looked amazing and seemed to have more fire and brilliance than some of the others we looked at. Side by side with a similar spec Princess cut there simply was no comparison. The price is $7100 but I have some concerns about the cut based on what I read here. I know part of this process is coming to some compromise, but am I compromising incorrectly if the cut is way off?

Thanks!

Audrey Hepburn

Rough_Rock
Talo-
Not an expert, my dear, but a fellow radiant hunter, and here is my take on your specs-

Did you go to a local jeweler to see this diamond? Did he/she get it in for you especially?

I think the depth (73%) is tooo large, think about all that weight of the stone that you will be sitting at the bottom of the diamond, where you won't be able to see it when you look at the ring from above! What are the measurements of the stone (in mm?)

Also, what are your priorities with the 4 c's? I really like the color you have (radiants show a lot of color, because they're so deep- which is why they're used so often in colored diamonds - think j.Lo's pink ring, a radiant) and I like radiants in a "g" color or better. However, I think you should consider going to a lower clarity. VVS1 is a great clarity for a diamond like an emerald cut or a asscher cut ("step cut" diamonds) where there's less "brilliance" and more of a "pooling" effect. However, in a radiant, especially a very sparkly radiant, the average person looking at the ring without a loupe will not be able to tell the difference between a VVs1 and a VS1 or 2 or even an eye-clean S1!! So is CLARITY where you want to spend your money with a radiant?

In conclusion - I think the stone's too deep, and I like the color, I think the table may be too shallow, and I don't know if you want to spend the extra money on clarity you may not be able to "appreciate." Also, those specs are NOT what most people think of an "ideal cut" for a radiant around here (although that's always up for debate!) So, find out where this guy is pulling the "ideal" card from (his arse, perhaps?)

But bottom line - if it's sparkly, and it's what you want, and you think you've seen enough radiants to make a comparison, go for it. Otherwise, you may want to hold off, and check out a few more examples of radiants.

Best wishes- and let me know if you have any more questions!
9.gif

-AH

PS- check out www.gemappraisers.com for a popular (but not definitive) "grading scale" for radiants and other fancy shapes. Your stone I think falls into their "2B" category.

talo

Rough_Rock
Im not sure what my priorities are, except that I will be proposing soon : )
I went to the diamond building here in Boston, so it was a local diamond dealer. I do not have much basis other than my significant other has gravitated to the radiant which is away from the princess cut she originally thought she wanted.

Im just starting and have realized this is a ton of work. Seems to be almost a big a decision as popping the question
1.gif

victorianblue

Rough_Rock
The price appears right in line with what is being offered by vendors advertising on this site. Out of curiosity, what are the dimensions of the diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results