shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions to ask and info to request from an appraiser?

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
My quest for an antique cushion continues: Adam at OWD may have found a contender. Since the purchase price will be in the $30K range, I plan on sending it to an appraiser and was wondering if you folks could advise what I should ask? Here's my list so far (much pulled from DreamerD's advice to JustGinger when she was considering Poppy [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-found-it.175686/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-found-it.175686/[/URL]).

In addition to cut, color, weight, clarity:
--Face up/down color
--Light distribution
--Under table darkness
--White light v. fire
--Patterning
--Crispness
--Symmetry
--Sarin
--ASET

If I get all of this from a reputable PS appraiser, should I get a GIA certificate as well?

This is my first (and hopefully not my last :naughty: ) diamond purchase---so advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks much

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I would absolutely get a GIA certificate. That's worth more to me than an appraisal.

Also, I am assuming you are buying an old stone. Don't be too disappointed when you get back the ASET / Idealscope. You can't compare an old stone to a modern round brilliant. Also, when you get your GIA - don't be disappointed when it goes back good or even poor in the ratings.

spicyitalian

Rough_Rock
Do both. 30K is a substantial price and a GIA report will give you an accurate report on the 4Cs. You will need an appraiser's help on other aspects like fire/asET scope reading etc...

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some of these things you want to ask are not well defined, or are highly subjective. An appraiser's opinion is great, but there is no substitute for seeing it yourself.

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the swift responses! Sounds like getting both is the consensus so far.

Charmy: yes, it is an old stone. I just luuuurve the chunkiness :lickout:

JulieN: I will be sending the stone(s) to a local appraiser so will get a look at it then. I would agree that seeing it in person is pretty important, even though I don't have an educated eye! Luckily, the appraiser is one who is a solid contributor on PS and has worked with antique cushions in the past (he helped Just Ginger).

Do you think I should hold out for good symmetry?? I don't know how uncommon that is in true antique cushions.

I've been making notes on generalized suggested numbers for such stones (depth, table, crown height) but I recognize that the numbers don't tell the story the way they do with MRBs.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
No advice, but do you have pics of this beauty? :) :naughty:

I bought the 4.00 J VS2 that was on OWD for 2 years :) Adam does have an eye for beautiful antiques.

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
Hi Resonance of Life: love your ring btw :love:

No pics yet---Adam emailed to say he may have some options---at GIA for one and the other is so new he hasn't fully vetted it yet except to say it looks beautiful and is a lower color. I'm anxious and impatient to know!!!

Will definitely post once we determine if worth pursuing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results