shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions on rubies.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
7C690304-CCB1-45E3-9935-5138AEB25345.jpeg CF0FB329-6FAA-4349-887A-72960B8CBEBA.jpeg I want to do a toi et moi ring and have been toying with the idea of doing a diamond and a ruby (vs 2 diamonds).

Here are some photos of 2 I like.

Any suggestion on where to buy/ what to look for? Would this be more expensive than just doing another diamond? It’d need to match a 1.3 ct GIA K colored diamond. Should I look for a lab ruby?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are not allowed to discuss synthetics in this forum, but a matching ruby would br larger in carat weight than your diamond. They are denser than diamond. Finding a decent ruby that size, even minimally treated will cost more than what your diamond cost. If you don’t care about synthetics, and you’re on a tight budget, then you may have to do a lab ruby.

Last edited:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you like that color in ruby (purplish/red) of the first two pics posted you may find similar colored spinels and garnets at a much more affordable price point than rubies.

Reactions: T L

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you like that color in ruby (purplish/red) of the first two pics posted you may find similar colored spinels and garnets at a much more affordable price point than rubies.
Excellent point, but even dark purplish spinels are pricey these days.o_O I would just go with a rhodolite garnet.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
We are not allowed to discuss synthetics in this forum, but a matching ruby would br larger in carat weight than your diamond. They are denser than diamond. Finding a decent ruby that size, even minimally treated will cost more than what your diamond cost. If you don’t care about synthetics, and you’re on a tight budget, then you may have to do a lab ruby.

Which forum could I used to get more info on lab stones? Fabulous Fashion Jewelry? I’m okay with a lab ruby if the price is right and I can get the project done ASAP.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock

What color would the first one be? That color is my fave so I’d prefer something that looks similar.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Which forum could I used to get more info on lab stones? Fabulous Fashion Jewelry? I’m okay with a lab ruby if the price is right and I can get the project done ASAP.
We’re also not allowed to discuss other forums on this board, unless its other sub forums on this website. There’s a synthetic diamond sub forum, maybe they can comment further.

Get a rhodolite if you love that color!! You’re lucky if you do!! They’re very affordable right now, durable and very pretty, especially when well cut. Just make sure it’s not overly dark, but a one carat garnet should be a bit brighter than a larger stone if you get a good one.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
We’re also not allowed to discuss other forums on this board, unless its other sub forums on this website. There’s a synthetic diamond sub forum, maybe they can comment further.

Get a rhodolite if you love that color!! You’re lucky if you do!! They’re very affordable right now, durable and very pretty, especially when well cut. Just make sure it’s not overly dark, but a one carat garnet should be a bit brighter than a larger stone if you get a good one.

How do I tell if one is well cut? What’s the price range I should be looking at? I saw one for under $50 and thought that seemed too cheap.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are many precision faceters and vendors in the recommended vendor list sticky. A well cut stone produces maximum brilliance and sparkle. Check out many of the well cut gems people post here from vendors like Barry Birgestock, precisiongem.com (Gene Flannigan), and Jerry Newman, Rioux Rocks, and others.

Maybe some people will post pics of their well cut garnet stones for you in this thread.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
There are many precision faceters and vendors in the recommended vendor list sticky. A well cut stone produces maximum brilliance and sparkle. Check out many of the well cut gems people post here from vendors like Barry Birgestock, precisiongem.com (Gene Flannigan), and Jerry Newman, Rioux Rocks, and others.

Maybe some people will post pics of their well cut garnet stones for you in this thread.

Thanks!! I’ll start looking.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dark red garnet faceted by Christiane Morin (set with a leuco garnet in a preloved setting). You can't tell by the crappy picture but it sparkles at all angles with bright red flashes because of the great facet work.

IMG_20190501_213904.jpg

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Dark red garnet faceted by Christiane Morin (set with a leuco garnet in a preloved setting). You can't tell by the crappy picture but it sparkles at all angles with bright red flashes because of the great facet work.

IMG_20190501_213904.jpg
Gorgeous!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results