shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions from a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jnewbie

Rough_Rock
My login says it all. I''m a newbie to this diamong ring buying thing. I''m looking to buy an engagement ring, I have gone to a few shops in the LA jewelry mart area and I have done a lot of research online. This is what I''m settling on (I think):

1.2 carat, G color, SI1, excellent cut diamond = for about $6K

From my research, I feel like all other things being equal, I will go with Cut over Color, Color over Clarity. My girlfriend has small hands. I am looking for the best diamond that is eye clean for about $6K, and I will most likely buy from an internet dealer who has a return policy. Here are my questions:

1. The only thing I have a hope of understanding is a GIA report. The highest cut level on GIA is "excellent" yet I hear about "ideal" cuts. How can you certify an ideal cut?

2. I know this is a very broad question and specific to each diamond. Generally speaking, would you experts here be able to tell from the naked eye between a SI1 and a VS2?

3. I don''t know her ring size. Is it easier to resize a ring if it is bigger or smaller? I think she''s a 5 but it may very likely need to be resized. Should I guess at a size 5 or should I get a larger ring size just knowing that it will have to be resized?

4. It''s taken me this long to come down to a type of diamond. I am not even going to bother with trying to find the right setting so I am just going to get a basic 6-prong with the expectation that she can return it later for a setting that she wants. Do you think that is a bad idea?

Thank you in advance. I appreciate whatever comments you may have. I have learned a ton from this forum and it has given me a lot of information.

-- J

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you post the GIA report number and the carat weight as posted on the report?

1. AGS issue the cut grade Ideal, not GIA.

2. Not necessary, some SI1 are eye-clean and some VS2 are not eye-clean.

3. Depends on the type of ring, in general sizing within 0.5 size should be doable and safe but with pave setting maybe problematic down the road with loose stones the larger the size change.

4. Good idea, then just go slightly bigger on the ring size so that it will at least go over the finger during the proposal. :razz:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results