shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions about Tianyu/StarGem emerald cut moissy

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
Hello All,

After drooling on this forum of all your gorgeous jewelry pieces from either Tianyu or StarGem, I so want to order one (or more) for myself. I am sorry if the questions I am about to ask were already discussed in some of the posts. I haven't had a chance to read through since they are so long.

So here are my questions:
1. For elongated ACC, which one is better, Tianyu or StarGem?
2. Same question for Emerald cut - which vendor to use? also: how do the emerald moissy compare to a real emerald cut diamond? (I am a little concerned since I recently see a moissy emerald cut, not from either vendor though, look quite glass-y and moiss-y. )
3. any idea of the price point of their single halo or double halo pave ring settings?

Sorry for all the questions. I appreciate your help!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Hello All,

After drooling on this forum of all your gorgeous jewelry pieces from either Tianyu or StarGem, I so want to order one (or more) for myself. I am sorry if the questions I am about to ask were already discussed in some of the posts. I haven't had a chance to read through since they are so long.

So here are my questions:
1. For elongated ACC, which one is better, Tianyu or StarGem?
2. Same question for Emerald cut - which vendor to use? also: how do the emerald moissy compare to a real emerald cut diamond? (I am a little concerned since I recently see a moissy emerald cut, not from either vendor though, look quite glass-y and moiss-y. )
3. any idea of the price point of their single halo or double halo pave ring settings?

Sorry for all the questions. I appreciate your help!
I think it is worth reading through the last few pages on both the SG and Tianyu threads just so you can see some examples as these become sort of relative questions. Both of them can cut these stones well but people have their preferences. Most of the ACC’s have been cut by SG and I have an emerald cut by SG as well but I do like the one’s from Tianyu a bit better. I am not sure how many moissanites you have seen in person or side by side with a diamond? I don’t think the ACC looks like glass but I can see how an emerald might in some lights because of the cut. To the average person, they may not be able to tell the difference but to me, a diamond looks like a diamond and a moissanite looks like a moissanite. Similar but different....

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
@swaye2010 thank you so much for your reply! I might try with Tianyu first after they re-open after new year. I appreciate it a lot for your information!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@swaye2010 thank you so much for your reply! I might try with Tianyu first after they re-open after new year. I appreciate it a lot for your information!
I’m doing an 8x10mm DEF VVS emerald cut set in a 14k white gold simple setting through Tianyu. I’m not doing any pave because I want to use different bands with it. The price was the same as having the pave. Ella explained that they have to use more gold if they don’t use pave so it’s the same price. She’ll probably put the order in later as it was the middle of the night for them when I emailed her.

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
I’m doing an 8x10mm DEF VVS emerald cut set in a 14k white gold simple setting through Tianyu. I’m not doing any pave because I want to use different bands with it. The price was the same as having the pave. Ella explained that they have to use more gold if they don’t use pave so it’s the same price. She’ll probably put the order in later as it was the middle of the night for them when I emailed her.
@Mamabean thanks for the post! I feel excited about the order even though that is not for me :razz: Let us appreciate your new jewel if you get a chance :dance:

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
This is my emerald from SG. The ring was not done by them though because I wanted miligrain and engraving. The stone looks white in person although some people who bought the G/H had some green undertones with a G/H stone. Since it is an antique setting, I don’t mind a bit of warmth but I think most people choose to go with a true colorless stone. The only thing I might have changed is to do a skinnier stone like 10.5x9 or something like that.

B4837F5F-D206-437C-B41A-98CE4DB3130E.jpeg

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Mamabean thanks for the post! I feel excited about the order even though that is not for me :razz: Let us appreciate your new jewel if you get a chance :dance:
It’s going to be very plain as I want to just enjoy the stone..so basically a big rectangle on my finger in white gold! :lol:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is my emerald from SG. The ring was not done by them though because I wanted miligrain and engraving. The stone looks white in person although some people who bought the G/H had some green undertones with a G/H stone. Since it is an antique setting, I don’t mind a bit of warmth but I think most people choose to go with a true colorless stone. The only thing I might have changed is to do a skinnier stone like 10.5x9 or something like that.

B4837F5F-D206-437C-B41A-98CE4DB3130E.jpeg
It’s beautiful! Who did it then? What size is it?

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
It’s beautiful! Who did it then? What size is it?
I bought a loose stone from SG that was custom cut in an 11x9 size and G/H color. Only 1 other person had bought an emerald from them and it was quite green in color so I was a little worried because I never saw the stones in person after ordering them. They photograph a bit warm but it is white in person. I took inspiration from an ebay 3 stone that I found last summer so the sides are 4x3x2. The setting was made by veandvile.com. It is a custom jewelry company that a family member started and I gave them this as their first moissanite project (they had never heard of moissanite). I know it was cast in Birmingham UK and hand engraved in Sweden. The ring has been well traveled! I figured I would go with a standard size moissanite because one day I will change out the moissanite with an aquamarine gemstone. It’s hard to pass up on the cost savings with getting the moissanites from China because most of them are pretty good but some of the nicer stones, I like to put in some higher quality settings. They are also working on an elongated ACC for me that will have the hand engraving and miligrain with diamond baguette side stones that I found on Ivy and Rose. Hopefully I will have it in another month or so.....

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bought a loose stone from SG that was custom cut in an 11x9 size and G/H color. Only 1 other person had bought an emerald from them and it was quite green in color so I was a little worried because I never saw the stones in person after ordering them. They photograph a bit warm but it is white in person. I took inspiration from an ebay 3 stone that I found last summer so the sides are 4x3x2. The setting was made by veandvile.com. It is a custom jewelry company that a family member started and I gave them this as their first moissanite project (they had never heard of moissanite). I know it was cast in Birmingham UK and hand engraved in Sweden. The ring has been well traveled! I figured I would go with a standard size moissanite because one day I will change out the moissanite with an aquamarine gemstone. It’s hard to pass up on the cost savings with getting the moissanites from China because most of them are pretty good but some of the nicer stones, I like to put in some higher quality settings. They are also working on an elongated ACC for me that will have the hand engraving and miligrain with diamond baguette side stones that I found on Ivy and Rose. Hopefully I will have it in another month or so.....
I love your set..The engraving is just beautiful!
My thought in ordering a plain setting for my emerald cut from Tianyu was I could always have it set in a prettier setting later if the stone is what I’m hoping it to be.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I love your set..The engraving is just beautiful!
My thought in ordering a plain setting for my emerald cut from Tianyu was I could always have it set in a prettier setting later if the stone is what I’m hoping it to be.
That’s exactly what I did. I tried several different cuts and the ones I didn’t like I just resold. My favorites have been the emerald, elongated ACC and a round. I prefer diamond pave or side stones so I am resetting my favorites.

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
For an emerald, I got one from Tianyu in a GH and you can definitely see a tint of yellow. I also had an emerald diamond for a short time and the diamond looked very different than the moissy. The diamond was the same color as the moissy but they didn’t look anything alike. I forgot to take side by side pics but the moissy was lacking. I love moissy and have owned many. The diamond was gorgeous for the emerald cut. I don’t know if the DEF moissy will actually be colorless either. Tianyu said that the color shows up with the emerald cut moissy, even if I order a DEF but the H diamond didn’t show color and both stones were in an identical type setting. Tianyu actually refunded me on the ring as the setting was off, the stone looking colored, and the size was off. I have ordered a lot from Tianyu and have been happy with everything, aside from the emerald ring.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
For an emerald, I got one from Tianyu in a GH and you can definitely see a tint of yellow. I also had an emerald diamond for a short time and the diamond looked very different than the moissy. The diamond was the same color as the moissy but they didn’t look anything alike. I forgot to take side by side pics but the moissy was lacking. I love moissy and have owned many. The diamond was gorgeous for the emerald cut. I don’t know if the DEF moissy will actually be colorless either. Tianyu said that the color shows up with the emerald cut moissy, even if I order a DEF but the H diamond didn’t show color and both stones were in an identical type setting. Tianyu actually refunded me on the ring as the setting was off, the stone looking colored, and the size was off. I have ordered a lot from Tianyu and have been happy with everything, aside from the emerald ring.
Thank you for letting us know. I just recently ordered one from them and I will definitely look it over in the video before shipment. It wasn’t cheap so I would definitely not accept it if it looked off. I had them make me a princess cut pendant and the stone is beautiful..so I ordered the earrings too. I would think they will be the same as the pendant moissy. Do you have a photo of that emerald ring? It would be really helpful!

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
41011041-390E-4BEC-9713-F796E96CAB14.jpeg C0C68F1B-903F-4F2A-8138-CE359C1463B2.jpeg
Thank you for letting us know. I just recently ordered one from them and I will definitely look it over in the video before shipment. It wasn’t cheap so I would definitely not accept it if it looked off. I had them make me a princess cut pendant and the stone is beautiful..so I ordered the earrings too. I would think they will be the same as the pendant moissy. Do you have a photo of that emerald ring? It would be really helpful!

I posted their pics awhile ago on here:

0373FA86-B588-4BF5-B9AB-B92E9CF226AD.jpeg 09184C54-683B-4D88-84D0-62ADDB65C936.jpeg

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
41011041-390E-4BEC-9713-F796E96CAB14.jpeg C0C68F1B-903F-4F2A-8138-CE359C1463B2.jpeg

I posted their pics awhile ago on here:

0373FA86-B588-4BF5-B9AB-B92E9CF226AD.jpeg 09184C54-683B-4D88-84D0-62ADDB65C936.jpeg
Thanks for the photos..It doesn’t sparkle that much. I asked for a video so I can see how it performs... How much trouble was it to send it back for the refund? It actually looks like what I asked them to do. What was the size? I did order mine in DEF so maybe mine will be colorless..Sorry for all the questions but I want to be prepared!

Last edited:

Bfelix

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the photos..It doesn’t sparkle that much. I asked for a video so I can see how it performs... How much trouble was it to send it back for the refund? It actually looks like what I asked them to do. What was the size? I did order mine in DEF so maybe mine will be colorless..Sorry for all the questions but I want to be prepared!

No, it doesn’t sparkle very much. Step cuts are different but the diamond has a wonderful sparkle and the moissy just fell short, IMO. The size was a 7x5. It was ALOT of trouble to send it back. I had to fight to get them to allow me to send it back for a refund. I opened up a case through PayPal. When I was just speaking to my rep, they were just trying to give me a small discount but it wasn’t worth it. After opening the case and having so many things wrong with the ring, they really didn’t have a case.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, it doesn’t sparkle very much. Step cuts are different but the diamond has a wonderful sparkle and the moissy just fell short, IMO. The size was a 7x5. It was ALOT of trouble to send it back. I had to fight to get them to allow me to send it back for a refund. I opened up a case through PayPal. When I was just speaking to my rep, they were just trying to give me a small discount but it wasn’t worth it. After opening the case and having so many things wrong with the ring, they really didn’t have a case.
I’m happy you got your refund..although it was a hassle..I love PayPal..I had to use them once on Etsy because the seller kept my money and the returned item. Fortunately I got a bad vibe from her before I sent it back so I got signature confirmation. She never ever responded to PayPal so they just deposited it in my account and and went after her account I would assume.

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
@swaye2010, thank you for sharing your ring and your experience with SG. It is such a beautiful ring! I think the stone proportions perfectly for the setting. A skinnier stone will work better with a more modern setting IMO. As far as light performance, how do you compare it with a diamond? For the two moissy I have seen, they shine and they give out rainbow reflects, but they remind me more of a CZ than a diamond. I don't know how to accurately describe it - maybe it is the lack of the fire a diamond can give. My friend did not buy those moissies from any vendor known by PSers so they might not be as high quality. I would appreciate if you can give comments as far as the light performance of the SG EC moissy, esp. the scintillation and fire.

@Bfelix, I am sorry the TY EC did not work for you but I am glad at least you got your refund. I wonder - just my thoughts - maybe GOG EC moissy would worth a try if you are not satisfied with Tianyu's moissy? I had some email back and forth with Jon and got an impression that theirs might be higher quality. Jon said all his EC moissies have great ASET images, because that is how they are designed for cut. I haven't bought one or seen one in person yet, but maybe some of our PSers have the experience. They are more expensive though.

Again thanks everyone for your great input to the post. I am glad we can put all information together so we all be wiser shoppers :appl:

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
@swaye2010, thank you for sharing your ring and your experience with SG. It is such a beautiful ring! I think the stone proportions perfectly for the setting. A skinnier stone will work better with a more modern setting IMO. As far as light performance, how do you compare it with a diamond? For the two moissy I have seen, they shine and they give out rainbow reflects, but they remind me more of a CZ than a diamond. I don't know how to accurately describe it - maybe it is the lack of the fire a diamond can give. My friend did not buy those moissies from any vendor known by PSers so they might not be as high quality. I would appreciate if you can give comments as far as the light performance of the SG EC moissy, esp. the scintillation and fire.

@Bfelix, I am sorry the TY EC did not work for you but I am glad at least you got your refund. I wonder - just my thoughts - maybe GOG EC moissy would worth a try if you are not satisfied with Tianyu's moissy? I had some email back and forth with Jon and got an impression that theirs might be higher quality. Jon said all his EC moissies have great ASET images, because that is how they are designed for cut. I haven't bought one or seen one in person yet, but maybe some of our PSers have the experience. They are more expensive though.

Again thanks everyone for your great input to the post. I am glad we can put all information together so we all be wiser shoppers :appl:

I have tried most of the cuts but I can still tell that a moissanite is different than a diamond. It could be that I am also buying very large stones. I find them to be more diamond like in the 2 carat and under. I mentioned these opinions on the other threads but the elongated antique cushion’s or OMC’s look the most realistic to me if you want the mossy to look like a diamond. I found that the OEC and square ACC still look pretty good most of the time but I did find them to ‘white out’ a bit in daylight. The round H&A looks like a diamond most of the time except I did get a lot of rainbows/fire in dim light. The smaller rounds for eternity bands and 5 stone rings look really good though. The oval’s or any of the more splintery cuts just look like moissy’s to me and not very much like diamonds. The emerald cuts don’t have a lot of fire but step cuts are typically known for having less than other cuts. My picture shows a pretty realistic view of what the stone looks like. I can see some double refraction when the light hits it. It is most definitely not a sparkle bomb like the other cuts. It has a similar look in different light settings. I wouldn’t say it looks like a plastic CZ but it probably doesn’t have the beauty of an emerald diamond either. I know there was another person who received an EC from Tianyu right before Christmas and she was really happy with it.

There are two other PSer’s (@MakingTheGrade and @Sirenagirl) who have recently purchased emerald cut’s from Jonathan at August Vintage. They are much more expensive than the Chinese moissanite prices but i am sure are worth it if you are looking for the best possible cut. You might want to check with them and also look at the last 20 pages of the Tianyu thread to see other examples of the emerald cut that have been purchased recently.

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much @swaye2010 what you said above is so informative and super helpful! I am glad to see a comparison between all cut types. It definitely helps me to have a more realistic expectation. Thank you so much again I really appreciate it!

Sirenagirl

Shiny_Rock
I'm still eagerly awaiting my August Vintage EC. I decided to buy a mount from AV, that and a shipping issue have delayed the arrival of my EC. I will post photos as soon as I receive it. Hopefully others can help compare my EC moissy with an EC diamond since I don't own one. I'm going a little crazy waiting for its arrival. :loopy:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have tried most of the cuts but I can still tell that a moissanite is different than a diamond. It could be that I am also buying very large stones. I find them to be more diamond like in the 2 carat and under. I mentioned these opinions on the other threads but the elongated antique cushion’s or OMC’s look the most realistic to me if you want the mossy to look like a diamond. I found that the OEC and square ACC still look pretty good most of the time but I did find them to ‘white out’ a bit in daylight. The round H&A looks like a diamond most of the time except I did get a lot of rainbows/fire in dim light. The smaller rounds for eternity bands and 5 stone rings look really good though. The oval’s or any of the more splintery cuts just look like moissy’s to me and not very much like diamonds. The emerald cuts don’t have a lot of fire but step cuts are typically known for having less than other cuts. My picture shows a pretty realistic view of what the stone looks like. I can see some double refraction when the light hits it. It is most definitely not a sparkle bomb like the other cuts. It has a similar look in different light settings. I wouldn’t say it looks like a plastic CZ but it probably doesn’t have the beauty of an emerald diamond either. I know there was another person who received an EC from Tianyu right before Christmas and she was really happy with it.

There are two other PSer’s (@MakingTheGrade and @Sirenagirl) who have recently purchased emerald cut’s from Jonathan at August Vintage. They are much more expensive than the Chinese moissanite prices but i am sure are worth it if you are looking for the best possible cut. You might want to check with them and also look at the last 20 pages of the Tianyu thread to see other examples of the emerald cut that have been purchased recently.
I got scared off from getting the emerald cut from Tianyu and I already paid but it was before production..so I just sent Ella an email asking her to change it..if possible..to an OEC...They’re on holiday so they didn’t cut anything yet. I’m hoping she agrees because I looked at lots of photos including the ones in Instagram and they have a milky yellowish cast sometimes..I love my princess cut pendant and ordered earrings that will be started after their holiday..so hoping she’ll change the order since I’m a repeat customer..:pray:

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I got scared off from getting the emerald cut from Tianyu and I already paid but it was before production..so I just sent Ella an email asking her to change it..if possible..to an OEC...They’re on holiday so they didn’t cut anything yet. I’m hoping she agrees because I looked at lots of photos including the ones in Instagram and they have a milky yellowish cast sometimes..I love my princess cut pendant and ordered earrings that will be started after their holiday..so hoping she’ll change the order since I’m a repeat customer..:pray:
I wouldn’t say they look milky or yellow....they do show some double refraction in daylight though because of the large, flat surface area of the cut. I think it is better to go with a more elongated shape and probably not over 2.5 carats for the most realistic look. I wish I had thought to make it a little skinnier in the cut but I chose a standard size 11x9. Mine is also G/H and it could be that the E/F color looks a bit more milky because it is colorless. It is a difficult cut sometimes because going for near colorless can result in a green tinged stone. I don’t see any green or yellow in my stone but I do see some double refraction in the daylight. It doesn’t have the consistent double refraction that you may see in a round though. Here are a few videos in different light situations so you can better see the cut. It looks a little darker than real life because it is reflecting the black phone case.

This is in warm light:

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/315320429" width="640" height="1138" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p><a href="
">BB011696-30CE-45CA-A9C9-C1EBA970C59B</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/user85749469">Angel Waye</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

This is in cool light:

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/315321510" width="640" height="1138" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p><a href="
">8A1CD3A1-A93E-4EF6-B7E1-F58D29D048A4</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/user85749469">Angel Waye</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Diffused light:

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/315322086" width="640" height="1138" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p><a href="
">DFDBEBE8-9179-4EE5-8771-327AC91AF122</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/user85749469">Angel Waye</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results