shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions about star sapphires from a newbie.

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock
I never paid much attention to star sapphires, but I came across these 2 rings that caught my eye.

Both are set in platinum with diamond halo.

What do you think of the price & quality of them?

This one is 3.7 ct. I like the color of the sapphire, and the style of the ring. But not sure about the visible inclusion. It's priced at about $1600.
Screenshot_20190727-141600~2.png

This one is 5.5 ct, but priced lower at about $1250. Maybe due to the smaller diamonds in the setting? The color is more muted, reminds me of a lavender jade actually.
Screenshot_20190727-141546~2.png

Would love any comments and opinions. TIA!

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Could me just me but I don’t see any stars here.

The 3ct is really too included in my opinion.

The 5ct is cheaper because the color is really washed out.

I think for that money you can find prettier star sapphires ;)2

voce

Ideal_Rock
I have star sapphires, and the stars don't always appear on camera even though my eyes see them. I would go with the 5ct one because of the inclusions in the other one, though if it's not a reputable vendor who would honor unconditional returns should I not like the stone, I would probably not take the risk of purchasing.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the colour of the first one better but that line of inclusions across it could pose an issue if you bump your hands around a lot or accidentally drop or knock the ring hard against something you could crack the sapphire along that line.

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock
@VividRed @voce @arkieb1

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. Sounds like 1st stone is a definite "pass". The 2nd stone I just don't love the color as much, and there is no return.

I will keep looking :)

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@VividRed @voce @arkieb1

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. Sounds like 1st stone is a definite "pass". The 2nd stone I just don't love the color as much, and there is no return.

I will keep looking :)
Keep looking because I too believe you can find better! Stars are not the easiest to find in the qualities which one specifically wants, but the search is part of the joy. Also, any additions to the ‘Show me your star sapphires and rubies’ thread would be great. Good luck!

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock
Keep looking because I too believe you can find better! Stars are not the easiest to find in the qualities which one specifically wants, but the search is part of the joy. Also, any additions to the ‘Show me your star sapphires and rubies’ thread would be great. Good luck!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Star sapphires are certainly on my radar now. And I agree, the search is half the fun, lol.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results