shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions About Going Back to School

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
I have decided that I would like to go back to school for something totally different than what I do now. I just don't like this field as much as I thought I would.

I want to get a master's degree in a totally different field than what I got my bachelor's degree in. I will have to take extra classes before being accepted to graduate school, right?

Also, I am a bit confused about the three letters of recommendation requirement. I do not feel comfortable asking my current employer, - I would be leaving to go back to school full-time, and for something totally different. Also, at this point, I doubt that any of my undergraduate professors would remember me.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Good for you for making this decision I know it can be a bit scary as I just did the same thing myself! For some of the schools I looked at I didn't meet all the undergrad prerequisites (having studied something completely different) so upon acceptance I would have had to take a few undergrad classes my first semester to make up for it. Fortunately for the school I ended up going to I met all the requirements and didn't have to do this. For recommendations I decided to use my latest employers (we were all laid off together so we still had a great relationship and they understood why I was changing fields.) The schools I looked at all said if you had been out of undergrad for a few years professional references were perfectly acceptable. Do you have a former employer you could ask so it's not awkward asking your current one? Otherwise I would go back and ask one of your old professors you might be surprised just how well they remember you!

Good luck with your applications, and may I ask what fields you are leaving and looking to get into?

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Shihtzu - I'm not sure what you are referring to with three letters of recommendation. I would assume though that any past employer, or friend who works in a professional environment, and who knows your discipline level would be appropriate.

As to the grad qualifications. You'll need to check to see what the undergrad program requires, and what is required before going into that undergrad program. I just started back a year and a half ago, and am still working on lining up all of my pre-requisites.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your decision to make a career change and go back to school. Regarding the pre-requisites, I would contact the school you want to go to and ask them what undergrad coursework is required in order to enroll in the grad program. Someone from the grad school can review your undergrad transcripts and see if anything you've already taken can qualify towards what you need before starting th new degree.

For letter of recommendations, I agree that former employers would be a good place to start to regarding work ethic, ambition, ability to meet deadlines and perform well under pressure, good people skills or other characteristics you possess. Also, do you know anyone who works in your new area of interest who can vouch for you? Since someone already in the field knows what qualities are required/helpful for people to perform the job well, they can attest to your having the qualities that will help you succeed in the new field.

Good luck!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooh, this is an exciting time, Shitzulover! Congrats on deciding to go back to school.

If I were you, I'd meet with the school you hope to attend and figure out which specific coursework you'll need to complete before you enroll in the program. THEN, I'd take those courses and develop relationships with my professors, and THEN I'd ask those profs for letters of recommendation. If you have to take some prereq courses, anyway, it seems like the perfect opportunity to get rec letters from people who are in the area you will be studying.

When I decided to go to grad school I set up meetings with every potential school so I could ask questions about the program and observe classes and whatnot. Good luck on finding the program that's right for you!

ETA: When I write rec letters for students I always ask them to give me three characteristics that they hope to emphasize about themselves in their application, as well as information about their experience and participation in organizations that supports those three characteristics. (Of course, if I didn't see that characteristic in the student I don't discuss it in the letter.) You could include that information in your request for letters, I know it always helps me best support my students applications.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
Can I make a slightly different recommendation? Assuming you're going to have to go into debt/use up savings to go back to school (as in, not getting a full-ride scholarship with a living expenses stipend), is it possible to try to get some hands-on experience in your new field before going back to school? Maybe by taking an entry-level job for a year and getting a feel for it? I say it because you've already been burned once (entered a field you didn't like) and getting trained in a new field is often expensive and time-consuming. Also, if you can make connections in your new field, show schools and future employers you made an informed choice, and also get a feel for which academic programs are most respected, I think you'll be a lot better off.

Now, maybe you're already intimately familiar with this new field and this isn't helpful at all, in which case, ignore me and good luck!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a BFA in Graphic Design and now am getting my MA in Counseling (QUITE the career change). When I was researching programs, some required a related BA, some required certain classes, mine only required an undergrad degree. :naughty: So I suggest you do some research. Every university has different requirements. Good luck! I am really enjoying grad school.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
I always recommend my students make vertical and not lateral moves with their education. If you don't need extra classes, don't take them. If you do, though, building good relationships with your profs while you are in the classes this time is a great way to get good letters of recommendation.

As for letters, I think it probably varies whether or not you are going back for more of a vocation, it should be fine to have employers write them. If it is more educational, you need to have letters from professors. I might, if reviewing your application, think it was odd to have other employers and not your current employer, especially if you worked there for a long time. Are they really so unreasonable that your job/work like would be jeopardized by telling them you were going back to school? If so, I am truly sorry (and congratulate the decision to go back to school even more!).

If you were a stellar student, your profs probably still remember you. I have been teaching college for 8 years now, and I remember every student who earned an A in any of my courses. I remember the B students for a year or so, and forget the C/D students the term after I have them (unless they come and see me often in office hours). If you still have marked work you did for the course, let your profs know, and put together a dossier for them with your work, your resume, a writing sample, and your personal statement.

I also don't write letters for anyone who earned lower than a B+ in my class, so make sure you ask profs whose courses you do well in. Also, make sure to ask if they would be able to write you a strong, positive letter. That is a fair question. Plenty of profs write the "they were here" letters for students (particularly students who just did mediocre work) which will not help you at all.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
katamari|1295239101|2824714 said:
I also don't write letters for anyone who earned lower than a B+ in my class, so make sure you ask profs whose courses you do well in. Also, make sure to ask if they would be able to write you a strong, positive letter. That is a fair question. Plenty of profs write the "they were here" letters for students (particularly students who just did mediocre work) which will not help you at all.
Is a B student considered mediocre? What should the B student do who wants to further their education beyond a 4-year degree?

katamari

Ideal_Rock
swingirl|1295258657|2824791 said:

Is a B student considered mediocre? What should the B student do who wants to further their education beyond a 4-year degree?

I don't know if I would equate B-work with mediocrity across the board. Even though I put these two ideas together, not wanting to recommend a mediocre student is not the reason I have a B+ standard. I only write letters to B+ better students for two reasons. First, a 3.3 is usually the cutoff for assistanceships. I do not believe anyone should go to grad school unfunded, and it is a belief my students are aware of. Second, in my field, there is an over-saturation of advanced degree holders. There is also an over-saturation in law and many of the other professional programs my students are interested in. It is so difficult to earn positions, it really is unlikely that anyone other than a top student would end up employed. I simply cannot, in good faith, recommend them.

To answer your question generally, if one of my students wanted to get a grad/prof degree as a B student, I recommend they go back to school if at least one of these things were true: they were getting an assistanceship, they got into a top 5 program, they were going into a field with plenty of options, or they were in a situation where their current job was paying tuition reimbursement. Maybe, maybe if they really just hated what they were doing and couldn't bare life without changing fields and could really convince me they had passion or talent they didn't earlier, I would consider it. I would just really need to know why the student wanted further education and what they expected from it.

To answer it specifically, I would say only go back to get a credential/MA/MS in a field where there are plenty of opportunities.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
katamari|1295417214|2826454 said:
swingirl|1295258657|2824791 said:

I don't know if I would equate B-work with mediocrity across the board. Even though I put these two ideas together, not wanting to recommend a mediocre student is not the reason I have a B+ standard. I only write letters to B+ better students for two reasons. First, a 3.3 is usually the cutoff for assistanceships. I do not believe anyone should go to grad school unfunded, and it is a belief my students are aware of. Second, in my field, there is an over-saturation of advanced degree holders. There is also an over-saturation in law and many of the other professional programs my students are interested in. It is so difficult to earn positions, it really is unlikely that anyone other than a top student would end up employed. I simply cannot, in good faith, recommend them.

To answer your question generally, if one of my students wanted to get a grad/prof degree as a B student, I recommend they go back to school if at least one of these things were true: they were getting an assistanceship, they got into a top 5 program, they were going into a field with plenty of options, or they were in a situation where their current job was paying tuition reimbursement. Maybe, maybe if they really just hated what they were doing and couldn't bare life without changing fields and could really convince me they had passion or talent they didn't earlier, I would consider it. I would just really need to know why the student wanted further education and what they expected from it.

To answer it specifically, I would say only go back to get a credential/MA/MS in a field where there are plenty of opportunities.
I agree, which is why I gave the advice I did. Getting some work experience gives you a chance to see first-hand what career opportunities there are, as well as giving your interest a chance to grow or dissipate. I'm a law student, but before I went back to school I worked in a related field and studied hard for a solid LSAT score that would get me into a top program. I have a good idea of the work I want to do, how hard it is to get there, how viable that is from the school I chose, and have a full rolodex to boot. Following my path is definitely more work and more time than jumping feet-first into an advanced degree, but I am really glad I went about it the way I did.

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
I'm really seriously considering this option, but I still have some concerns, so I decided to bring this thread back up.

I have always LOVED psychology, and I always knew that I wanted to do something in the field - even back in high school, it was my dream. I find it to be so fascinating, and I always loved all of the psychology classes that I took. It was actually my original college major, but I heard that it was difficult to get a job in the field, especially with just a bachelor's degree Because of this, I changed my major to something else that still sounded pretty interesting, and that I was supposed to be able to find a good job with right away.

I ended up going with a degree in health information management. I also find the healthcare field to be interesting, but I could never actually work with patients (I have a weak stomach and I'm a major hypochondriac, so being around contagious diseases probably wouldn't be the best idea for me). I thought that this would be good, since I would still be able to work around the healthcare setting, but without actually being involved with the direct, clinical aspect of patient care.

When I got into the workforce, I discovered that it was actually very difficult to find a job. I understand that a lot of it has to to with the economy, but it seems like all of the jobs are for people with way less education (high school graduates, maybe with a certification), or with several years of experience.

I ended up finding a job in medical coding. I didn't really enjoy it, and I also felt like I wasn't living up to my full potential, since I could have just gotten a certification to be a coder, rather than going to a four-year school. After seven months, I decided to find something else. I finally found another job as a health information manager, and I have been there for almost five months now, but I honestly can't stand it. A lot of it has to do with the place itself (none of my coworkers are happy at all), and with the way that I am treated there. I probably shouldn't get into it, but they have done some unacceptable things, and I can't stand to work for a company that treats its employees like this. Sometimes I'm so stressed about my workload that I just start to cry.

But, it's not just WHERE I work - I really don't enjoy the job like I thought I might. I am working with medical records, and there is so much that I dislike. I hate running around chasing after signatures, and having the physicians get irritated with me. I also can't stand putting chart after chart together - it's just so dull and monotonous. This career path just isn't what I thought it would be, and I have no desire to apply for another similar job.

Because of all this, I started seriously thinking about going back to school. I started looking at the graduate psychology program at my old school, and I started getting really excited at the prospect of going back. The university where I got my bachelor's degree offers a master's degree in clinical psychology, which is what I want to study - after that, I could choose to go on and get my PhD somewhere else, or I could work with just the master's degree (under the supervision of someone with a PhD). I really loved it there, and I loved the professors in the department and the classes themselves. I do not currently have a GRE score, but I did work really hard as an undergraduate student, so I am proud to say that I graduated with an impressive GPA. I do feel that the professors there would remember me. Of course, it is pretty far away (a four hour drive), but my fiance telecommutes to work, so he is willing to move there with me.

I'm just nervous about going for it. I'm not sure how many extra classes I would have to take, or whether or not I would have to do it before I entered the graduate program. Also, I am 24 now, and I would like to have children in my later 20s. I know that things don't always work out as planned, but I don't want to have trouble having children because I waited too long.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice? I just get so excited when I think about going back to school for this. I honestly worked way too hard in school to be this miserable, or to throw it all away. I want to be in a field that I love, and I truly feel that if I were able to get into psychology, I would look forward to going to work every day, instead of dreading it. I'm just so scared - I'm afraid that it's too risky to just change career paths like this.

The only upside to where I am now is that I get a paycheck, and I obviously would be paying (instead of being paid) to go to school. My fiance and I don't need the money that I make here right now, but it makes for some nice extra cash, and it also allows for us to put even more away into savings.

What would you do if you were in my shoes? Thanks everyone!

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
I'm really seriously considering this option, but I still have some concerns, so I decided to bring this thread back up.

I have always LOVED psychology, and I always knew that I wanted to do something in the field - even back in high school, it was my dream. I find it to be so fascinating, and I always loved all of the psychology classes that I took. It was actually my original college major, but I heard that it was difficult to get a job in the field, especially with just a bachelor's degree. Because of this, I changed my major to something else that still sounded pretty interesting, and that I was supposed to be able to find a good job with right away.

I ended up going with a degree in health information management. I also find the healthcare field to be interesting, but I could never actually work with patients (I have a weak stomach and I'm a major hypochondriac, so being around contagious diseases probably wouldn't be the best idea for me). I thought that this would be good, since I would still be able to work around the healthcare setting, but without actually being involved with the direct, clinical aspect of patient care.

When I got into the workforce, I discovered that it was actually very difficult to find a job. I understand that a lot of it has to to with the economy, but it seems like all of the jobs are for people with way less education (high school graduates, maybe with a certification), or with several years of experience.

I ended up finding a job in medical coding. I didn't really enjoy it, and I also felt like I wasn't living up to my full potential, since I could have just gotten a certification to be a coder, rather than going to a four-year school. After seven months, I decided to find something else. I finally found another job as a health information manager, and I have been there for almost five months now, but I honestly can't stand it. A lot of it has to do with the place itself (none of my coworkers are happy at all), and with the way that I am treated there. I probably shouldn't get into it, but they have done some unacceptable things, and I can't stand to work for a company that treats its employees like this. Sometimes I'm so stressed about my workload that I just start to cry.

But, it's not just WHERE I work - I really don't enjoy the job like I thought I might. I am working with medical records, and there is so much that I dislike. I hate running around chasing after signatures, and having the physicians get irritated with me. I also can't stand putting chart after chart together - it's just so dull and monotonous. This career path just isn't what I thought it would be, and I have no desire to apply for another similar job.

Because of all this, I started seriously thinking about going back to school. I started looking at the graduate psychology program at my old school, and I started getting really excited at the prospect of going back. The university where I got my bachelor's degree offers a master's degree in clinical psychology, which is what I want to study - after that, I could choose to go on and get my PhD somewhere else, or I could work with just the master's degree (under the supervision of someone with a PhD). I really loved it there, and I loved the professors in the department and the classes themselves. I do not currently have a GRE score, but I did work really hard as an undergraduate student, so I am proud to say that I graduated with an impressive GPA. I do feel that the professors there would remember me. Of course, it is pretty far away (a four hour drive), but my fiance telecommutes to work, so he is willing to move there with me.

I'm just nervous about going for it. I'm not sure how many extra classes I would have to take, or whether or not I would have to do it before I entered the graduate program. Also, I am 24 now, and I would like to have children in my later 20s. I know that things don't always work out as planned, but I don't want to have trouble having children because I waited too long.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice? I just get so excited when I think about going back to school for this. I honestly worked way too hard in school to be this miserable, or to throw it all away. I want to be in a field that I love, and I truly feel that if I were able to get into psychology, I would look forward to going to work every day, instead of dreading it. I'm just so scared - I'm afraid that it's too risky to just change career paths like this.

The only upside to where I am now is that I get a paycheck, and I obviously would be paying (instead of being paid) to go to school. My fiance and I don't need the money that I make here right now, but it makes for some nice extra cash, and it also allows for us to put even more away into savings.

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
How confident are you that this degree will enable you to get a job you want? Have you looked into med schools/osteopathy schools? You said before that you didn't get a degree in Psych the first time bc you heard it was hard to get a job: do you still think that's true? You're in the medical field now, do you see people with the qualifications you seek getting jobs you'd want? I'd work backwards, find the job you want (and do research to make sure you'd really want it!) and then ask around and see what qualifications those people are expected to have.

rangerd

Rough_Rock
suchende|1296074008|2833905 said:
find the job you want (and do research to make sure you'd really want it!)

I'd agree with this. You said you were interested in healthcare till you actually did it for a living. I switched careers after getting a degree in something that interested me, but ended up hating as a career. I wish I would have interned or temp'd or something at the career before I spent all the time and money getting into it. There are a lot of careers you can get into with just a bachelors (even if it's not related to the new job you want), but I don't think Psych is one of them (at least not as a doctor obviously). As far as your personal concerns, going all the way to a PHD in Psychology, it sounds like you're going to be near 30 while entering the job market and starting a family at the same time. It's certainly not impossible with two parents (especially one who is a stay-at-home dad), but something to think about.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
You need to take the GRE. That should be your first step. I was lucky b/c the school I am attending didn't demand a high GRE score (over 1000) but every college is different. My sister is getting her phd in education and her college STRESSED the importance of a good score. I am getting my master's in counseling and I am much older than you so I would not let your age be a deciding factor. Few of my classmates are fresh out of their BA. Most are in their mid 20s-50s. The job market in mental health is stable. There will always be a need but you need an advance degree. I am a follow your dream kinda girl. If this is your passion don't let fear hold you back.

ETA: For my three recs I asked two former professors who hopefully remembered me. If not I am sure they have a form letter they send out :cheeky: and someone related to the field I am entering.

afreebird

Shiny_Rock
How exciting! I'm a full-time grad student right now, and I'm loving every minute of it! Honestly, I feel that getting my Bachelors was something I did for my parents; it was simply expected. I grew up never questioning if I would go to college; it was simply a matter of what college and what major. BUT my Masters is for me! I will feel very proud of myself once I've completed that goal, as it is one that I have set, not someone else.

Definitely go and get some study guides for the GRE. I don't know about you, but it's been awhile since I've been a student. I really had to spend some time brushing up on my math skills, especially. My engineer husband would assign problems to me every night and review stuff I was having a hard time understanding.

This is really an exciting time for you! Don't let yourself get too daunted by the paperwork involved in applying. I set a deadline for myself and muddled through the individual application sections, and it helped to break it up into smaller pieces. I remember the biggest pain in the butt part was the transcript requests to my previous universities.

diva rose

Shiny_Rock
I think it's great you are considering studying again.

Can I consider another profession?
How about speech and language pathology/speech pathologist?

As one myself - I highly recommend especially those who plan to have children and like interacting with them.

Besides implementing speech and language therapy - SLPs learn and assist in the areas of behaviour management/supporting individuals and families with emotional needs etc. You also study psychology etc in the course.
Clearly because we need to be able to detect individuals at risks and support them appropriately within sessions.

The job is high in demand and the pay is good if you work in private sector.
Pay in public is alright also - depending on which country and your qualifications.

Check http://www.asha.org/ for more information.

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the replies everyone! I really do feel like this field is my passion, and that I really made the wrong decision by changing my major.

I contacted the head of the psychology program at my old university, and he explained that I am eligible to enter the program in the fall even without an undergraduate degree in psychology, but of course, I will need a GRE score. The problem is that their application deadline for this year is March 1st, so if I want to be considered this year, then I will need to at least take the test by then. He said that they do not have to receive my official scores by that date, but that I will have to report them by then.

I did pick up a couple of test prep books last night, and wow - it seems so difficult! I really want to be considered for this year, but there is no way that I will do well unless I study 24/7. I don't know what to do about my current job. I don't feel that I can stay here much longer, anyway, but I am supposed to give four weeks notice before I leave.

If I do go back to school and get a degree in psychology, would I still list this job on my resume, even though it has nothing to do with psych? Or would I just start fresh with a new resume? I am just concerned that if I don't give much (or any) notice, and I am required to list this position, I will have trouble finding a job in the future, especially if potential employers contact my current employer and ask about 'eligibility for rehire'.

The psychology program at this school requires a score of 1000 on the GRE. Is that really high? Like I said, I just picked up my first book yesterday, and it looks extremely difficult.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also had to break 1,000 and no, it is totally doable. I had been out of school SOOO long I had to re-teach myself everything. Plus I am not a great test taker. Princesss (another poster) was my lifeline and we studied together a few times a week for a few months. The GRE site has some study guide timelines I found helpful. I started studying late Aug. and took the test early Nov. I think I may have started a GRE thread way back that had some good tips.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
My parents are both psychologists, so I can tell you what they would say to you if they were on PS.

First, a masters in clinical psych will not get you far - go for a masters in social work or a full PhD in psych. The reason is that almost no states will license you unless you have one of those two degrees and having a license is so important to having a decent paying job and opportunities to advance. My mom only has a masters and was able to be licensed in my home state (many years ago) but now can't move to another state because she would never be re-licensed. My dad has a PhD and has a lot more freedom. I'm not sure if any states license with only a masters now.

Second, to get into a program (at least a PhD program) you really need some work experience and background in the field. Try finding somewhere that you can work with developmentally disabled adults or something - there are places that take people with only bachelors degrees and will help get you immersed in the field. The jobs are usually hard and pay very little, which is why those with grad degrees aren't doing them ;)) but you will have a tough time getting into grad school without the experience because there are so many applicants. You will also get work experience while doing your degree, so that should help your worries about resume writing - by the time you graduate you should have some experience under your belt.

The field pays little and is fairly over-saturated. I think it's something you have to know you'll really really love before you jump into it. To be honest, my parents wouldn't get into psych again if they knew what they know now, though I can tell my mom really loves aspects of her job - it's just taken her 40 years in the field and jobs she didn't like to get to this point. I'm not saying that to talk you out of it, but just to say how important it is to get some work experience and make sure you like it as much as you think you will.

Also consider what you really want to do. My mom sees patients - she does evaluations on kids for a program and also works in private practice with clients (typical clients with depression, anxiety, whatever). My dad is able to work part time teaching university classes and part time managing an autism care office, so there are very different paths you can take.

I hope this was helpful! Good luck on your decision. I think the job you have now definitely doesn't sound like a good fit for you and I hope you're able to go back to school and find something you love.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
shihtzulover|1296137063|2834509 said:
Thanks for the replies everyone! I really do feel like this field is my passion, and that I really made the wrong decision by changing my major.

I contacted the head of the psychology program at my old university, and he explained that I am eligible to enter the program in the fall even without an undergraduate degree in psychology, but of course, I will need a GRE score. The problem is that their application deadline for this year is March 1st, so if I want to be considered this year, then I will need to at least take the test by then. He said that they do not have to receive my official scores by that date, but that I will have to report them by then.

I did pick up a couple of test prep books last night, and wow - it seems so difficult! I really want to be considered for this year, but there is no way that I will do well unless I study 24/7. I don't know what to do about my current job. I don't feel that I can stay here much longer, anyway, but I am supposed to give four weeks notice before I leave.

If I do go back to school and get a degree in psychology, would I still list this job on my resume, even though it has nothing to do with psych? Or would I just start fresh with a new resume? I am just concerned that if I don't give much (or any) notice, and I am required to list this position, I will have trouble finding a job in the future, especially if potential employers contact my current employer and ask about 'eligibility for rehire'.

The psychology program at this school requires a score of 1000 on the GRE. Is that really high? Like I said, I just picked up my first book yesterday, and it looks extremely difficult.
Maybe I am reading between the lines too much, but I get the sense that your unhappiness with the job you're at at this very moment is your primary reason for going back to school. While it might work out that another degree would overshadow your resume as it is now, I really recommend people not jump back into school without lots of careful deliberation.

I know a lot of people who go back to school for not the best reasons, and without doing their research. Especially people who recently got laid off or otherwise aren't happy with the jobs they got right out of school. I think, for some people, school is a safety blanket. It's safe, it's rewarding (grades! self-improvement!) but it's expensive in terms of time and money.

Remember, schools will admit you even if their graduates aren't getting jobs. It's up to you to make sure the program that admits you will get you the job you want, in the city you want, and that the employer you're interested in will hire right out of school.

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
Elrohwen|1296162280|2834901 said:
My parents are both psychologists, so I can tell you what they would say to you if they were on PS.

First, a masters in clinical psych will not get you far - go for a masters in social work or a full PhD in psych. The reason is that almost no states will license you unless you have one of those two degrees and having a license is so important to having a decent paying job and opportunities to advance. My mom only has a masters and was able to be licensed in my home state (many years ago) but now can't move to another state because she would never be re-licensed. My dad has a PhD and has a lot more freedom. I'm not sure if any states license with only a masters now.

Second, to get into a program (at least a PhD program) you really need some work experience and background in the field. Try finding somewhere that you can work with developmentally disabled adults or something - there are places that take people with only bachelors degrees and will help get you immersed in the field. The jobs are usually hard and pay very little, which is why those with grad degrees aren't doing them ;)) but you will have a tough time getting into grad school without the experience because there are so many applicants. You will also get work experience while doing your degree, so that should help your worries about resume writing - by the time you graduate you should have some experience under your belt.

The field pays little and is fairly over-saturated. I think it's something you have to know you'll really really love before you jump into it. To be honest, my parents wouldn't get into psych again if they knew what they know now, though I can tell my mom really loves aspects of her job - it's just taken her 40 years in the field and jobs she didn't like to get to this point. I'm not saying that to talk you out of it, but just to say how important it is to get some work experience and make sure you like it as much as you think you will.

Also consider what you really want to do. My mom sees patients - she does evaluations on kids for a program and also works in private practice with clients (typical clients with depression, anxiety, whatever). My dad is able to work part time teaching university classes and part time managing an autism care office, so there are very different paths you can take.

I hope this was helpful! Good luck on your decision. I think the job you have now definitely doesn't sound like a good fit for you and I hope you're able to go back to school and find something you love.

I pretty much second what Elrohwen said. I am a masters level social worker, so maybe I'm a little biased, but I feel that it's a much more versatile degree than a masters in psych. If you really want to get into mental health and therapy, you can become a licensed clinical social worker after receiving clinical supervision as a MSW (usually about two years, depending on the state).

If you're really set on psych, I would go for the PhD. But just as Elrohwen said, the field is pretty over-saturated. The good thing about the MSW is that you're not boxed into the one particular area. I went into school wanting to do mental health (I also considered clinical psychology but wanted to keep my options opened). I worked one year in the state hospital/inpatient psych but ended up doing hospice. I may go back to mental health at some point, because I want to get my clinical licensure, but I'm pretty happy in hospice right now.

Oh and if you go the MSW route, there are generally no prerequisites other than having a bachelor's degree (if you have a BSW, you can do an accelerated masters in one year, but if not, you just do the two-year program). I was not required to take the GRE to get into my program.

Just some things to think about! I'd be happy to answer anymore questions, too. Good luck!

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Pardon me while I yell, but NEVER PAY FOR A GRADUATE DEGREE IN A SOCIAL SCIENCE! I am beyond serious about this. If you are getting a degree from a program that will not fund you, you will be so much less competitive for jobs when you complete your degree. And you will pay for something you could get paid to earn.

You need to apply broadly and go to the best school you get into WHERE YOU ALSO GET FUNDED! I am sure you received a fine undergraduate education from your alma matter and enjoyed it very much. However, graduate school is a different game. Graduate school ranking matters.

My advice, take a GRE prep course. Yes, they may cost $2-3K, but it could be the difference if you are funded or not. Apply to many, many more schools than just your UG institution. Go to the best school to offer you support where you can study with scholars who interest you. And best, when talking grad school, really means ranking and fit. Schools that offer funding will be top schools in your field, so you will have impressive training and will be more qualified to all the people who just went to some credential-mill program. If have good transcripts and strong references, a good GRE is the only thing standing between you and funding.

Two other things to consider (which you may already know): Earning an MA hardly earns you any credit towards a PhD. This is especially true if you go to an unranked MA/MS program. You will still start as an entering Master's student and have to likely repeat most if not all coursework and rewrite or write a thesis. Second, there is more than one terminal degrees in psych (PsyD, PhD, and numerous counseling degrees).

Paying for a graduate degree in the social sciences is an unequivocally bad idea.

Edited to add: I assume you know this, but just in case not, funding means you will have your tuition paid, earn some benefits (though it might only be health insurance), and receive a modest stipend to work as a research, lab, or teaching assistanceship.

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for your replies, everyone - and thank you for all of your helpful suggestions and advice. I have given this a lot of thought, and I know that I definitely don't want to jump into anything too quickly.

I know that I missed most of the application deadlines for this year, so I suppose that I will focus on next year. There are other schools closer to my home, and their programs are probably more highly regarded than the one at my old university, so I would like to keep my options open.

Something actually just happened at my old job yesterday, and I ended up leaving. I do realize that the particular company that I worked for probably made things much worse, but I truly don't feel like that field was my calling in life. I think that I would have been able to do it from day to day, but that I would never look forward to going to work.

Since I have a lot of free time right now, I would like to begin some sort of internship in the psychology field, to make sure that it's truly what I want to do, and also to gain a bit of experience. Do places really take people like me in, to learn more? How do I go about getting one?

Thank you all again! :)

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know in my field you have to be a student to get an internship (and have insurance). You might be able to volunteer in other capacities. Also, look into taking some post-bac classes. You can usually transfer them over AND it will help you get a feel of what you are about to commit to.

rangerd

Rough_Rock
I got an internship after high school just by sending out my resume and a letter explaining I wasn't looking to get paid in anything but experience and I actually got a number of replies with offers. If you can afford to go this route, I would give it a try.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results