shape
carat
color
clarity

questions about caring for new e-ring

gzagenius

Rough_Rock
Is it okay for someone to wear their engagement ring 24/7? This includes showering with it on, washing hands, lotion, etc... I'm not too worried about her ring going missing, but more concerned if water/soap/lotion/etc will have any adverse affects on the stone and platinum setting. I want her to wear it all the time, and so do I.

What are the best ways of maintaining the ring? How often should it be cleaned, and how much does it usually cost to have it cleaned?

Oh, and BTW, she said yes on 10/11/10!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I probably wouldn't want to wear it 24/7, especially if you have paves diamonds all over, also its not comfortable sleeping in one, since you do tend to swell in the hands/fingers at night. I clean my rings when Ifeel its pretty dirty but use my own baby tooth brush and dish soap. Otherwise take it to a jeweler every six months to get it professionally cleaned ans also for inspection to make sure your diamond isn't loose. As far as cost, it varies some do cleaning for free, but inspection may cost, I find that platinum rings cost more.

RhubarbPie

Shiny_Rock
I wear my ring 24/7, including to sleep. There is no pave, but its a 3 stone emerald cut ering. The stones are fairly large (2.78 tcw) and sharp at the corners and so sometimes I accidentally swipe my fiance with it when we're falling asleep (but I think its kind of funny :razz:). But thats really the only problem I've had sleeping with it. When I wash my hands I'm just really careful to keep a fist so it doesn't come off. I bring it to a jeweler whenever I'm around to have it cleaned. My dad is a dentist and he has the same cleaning device as the jewelers so I clean it there too. At home, I just use hand soap and a soft toothbrush to clean it.

bricklayer

Rough_Rock
Besides sleeping, cooking, or showering, or gardening, I wear my ring all the time. That's why I have insurance.

RhubarbPie

Shiny_Rock
bricklayer said:
Besides sleeping, cooking, or showering, or gardening, I wear my ring all the time. That's why I have insurance.

Oh, good point lol. We got engaged on July 29. My fiance called the appraiser (he had the ring appraised before proposing), I called my insurance agent (who is a family friend so he rushed it so the insurance would be in place before the weekend), the appraisal was faxed over and I had insurance for my ring on July 30. Obviously Im really careful as I'd be COMPLETELY devastated if anything happened to my ring (I'll never trade in my stone for a bigger stone...if I want a bigger stone, I'll just buy a whole new ring...but I'll never give up my original!), but its peace of mind knowing that we have insurance.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
I have a fairly large Emerald cut and I wear it 24/7...................

gzagenius

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your input. I guess it seems okay to wear it 24/7. I have the ring insured too, through JM. I was just concerned whether chemicals in soap, lotions, etc. would have any negative impact on the ring. I feel safe now.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
lotion or soap won't damage it, it'll just make it scummy. Get her an ultrasonic cleaner for it and use a dash of amonia with a few drops of Mr Clean in the water. I would be concerned about damage to the prongs from 24-7 wear like getting snagged on a towel or blanket loop and pulling one of the prongs loose. Make sure you put catches in your sink drains.

ringthings

Shiny_Rock
I wear all my jewelry all the time, and clean regularly. My fingers might swell a little, but I got the perfect ring sizes to allow for that, and not fall off in winter. Sure, my items might get some "wear" in time, but.. I'd rather enjoy them than hassle with putting stuff on/off, or dropping it down the sink or something. There are a few delicate, antique items (bracelets, for example) with smaller prongs that I save for special occasions.

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
I clean mine everyday with a soft old paintbrush (a small one for acrylic paint, not a housepainting one) and dish soap. The bristles are thinner and softer than a toothbrush, and get in all the crevices.

This saying got stuck in my head when we got the diamond- Don't bother buying a nice diamond if you are not going to keep it clean!

Sometimes I am a little psycho and clean it 2x a day. If I really want a sparkle blast, I shoot it with a little windex and dry it with the hairdryer. Like I said, sometimes I'm a little psycho. But I think if you are going to spend so much on something, you should enjoy it at its fullest potential! :appl:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
No harm in wearing it full time. I personally do not like to wear it to sleep or work out for comfort reasons and to shower/lotion/apply makup for cleanliness reasons (scungy fast that way), but the only times I do not wear it for protective reasons are when I am doing physical jobs with my hands -- cleaning, gardening, home repairs. This is because I do not want to worry about it, it is insured but I would rather not make a claim.

For some people when they are past the glowy engagement phase the desire for 24/7 wear goes away 8) It did for me.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I waer mine 23/7 - no showering, hand lotion or heavy labor, but otherwise on!! I clean my rings at least once or twice a day! (for what it's worth - I brush my teeth alot too!)

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
I wear mine 24/7. I have never had a problem with wear and tear. I do take it to my jeweler every 3+ months for a good cleaning and they inspect the prongs. I love seeing it on ALL the time. If I do gardening, I wear gloves. I get the lotion or soap off with a baby toothbrush and hand soap under warm water, while I am wearing it. (of course, when I use my US and JJ, I have to take it off). but then it's right back on. I've been wearing my ring 24/7 for almost 5 years now. (Mine is white gold setting with platinum prongs, no pave or melee.)

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I take my ring off for sleep, anything that might send it down a drain and for lotioning. For sleep it's a comfort issue, the rest just help to keep me from losing it or gunking it up to often.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results