shape
carat
color
clarity

Questioning my new center diamond

Lawhun_c

Rough_Rock
82F469B9-4AE8-48DF-8337-F6FDC1EC9BCD.jpeg 91FC505C-8844-4D22-82C8-CDE27FEC7E08.jpeg 82F469B9-4AE8-48DF-8337-F6FDC1EC9BCD.jpeg I recently went on a cruise and while at port in Mexico I bought a new diamond from a reputable diamond retail store. After the purchase I was questioning whether I had gotten a good deal or not. After getting back home and having access to the Internet I feel like I over paid by A LOT. I PURCHASED A . 97 carat rectangular brilliant diamond. It is I-J color. VS2 no florescent and no cutlet. I paid 5,500.00 for it.
I felt like it looked yellow in a lot of light and wanted to make sure it was set good and I wasn't going to lose the diamond from the setting, so I took it in to a certified gemologist at a local jewelry store for an appraisal. Right off he bat he tell me that my dimensions are off from what my GHI certificate says. He states this is very rare and it is only slightly off but the diamond in my ring that he measured is slightly larger than what is stated on my paper work. He said the only way to get the true carat size of The center diamond is to un-mount it to be able to get all these measurements. This would allow him to measure the depth of the diamond which he cannot do while it is mounted. I told him I don't really care as long as the appraisal is close and if something happened to the ring I would get some compensation.
I guess I have several questions here
1. Did I pay to much
2. Why does it look so yellow, is it really not an I color
3. Should I have the diamond un-mounted to get a more accurate appraisal or would the difference not be worth it?
Thank you all in advance for all your help

Last edited:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think there is anything that you can do now since you bought it in Mexico. I have never understood why people from the US buy diamonds abroad when PS vendors are so comparative.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I felt like it looked yellow in a lot of light and wanted to make sure it was set good and I wasn't going to lose the diamond from the setting, so I took it in to a certified gemologist at a local jewelry store for an appraisal. Right off he bat he tell me that my dimensions are off from what my GHI certificate says.
Hate to tell ya but it is only good for toilet tissue. Never heard of GHI grading lab...:knockout:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's off because the main reputable labs that certify diamonds are GIA and AGL, EGL USA is usually one to two grades off in colour and others like EGL from other countries and everywhere else can be several (we are talking 2 to 7 grades incorrect) in colour and they are usually one to three out in clarity. I've rarely heard of them getting the size of a stone wrong. That really is terrible.

You also need to establish if the stone was clarity enhanced or has been messed with in any way then I'm afraid you really did get ripped off, the lesson here is don't buy diamonds from unknown sources (even ones that seem like bargains) unless you fully understand what you are buying.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it’s the store I think it is, a quick search of reviews tells you all you need to know. I went in with a friend, and they use very high pressure selling tactics to get you to buy.

Sorry, this is no help to you, but if you really want to know, then I suppose the only way to get an accurate appraisal is to get it in unmounted. If the appraisal is way off, then you could try contacting the company’s HQ and complain.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There might be recourse with the credit card company if the diamond is not as described too. I’d get an unmounted appraisal if you are worried.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results