shape
carat
color
clarity

Question Using Loupe

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it possible to view with a loupe the upper girdle break facet and the girdle at the same time or is the girdle at 45 degrees viewing or something to the facet. Does a girdle have a slope or is it straight?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am trying to see if a hairline crack running along the crown facet surface starts on the girdle surface but when I reflect light on the facet surface to see the crack then look to the girdle the light reflection changes and I cannot see the feather, when I look into the stone the black hairline feather can be seen but this changes as well when I turn to look at the girdle.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
If the girdle is "frosted" versus polished or faceted it will be more difficult to spot the hairline.

Reflected light is the key. Pinpoint where the hairline meets the girdle, using reflected light off that facet. Then (if the girdle is polished or faceted) position that section of the girdle so it is "lit up" by reflected light. You should be able to spot the hairline by that method if it is there.

Again Pyramid, I wouldn't be overly concerned. If it's really buggin you, take it to an independent appraiser for peace of mind.

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Richard Sherwood thank you for your reply. No the girdle is frosted. Would a hairline fracture run up the girdle though and then change direction and run up the upper girdle break facet, I suppose fractures are all different but as it is only at the surface would it change direction or does it just look for the next available bit of diamond to go through?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am probably not explaining this well but what I was wondering is can a hairline fracture on the immediate surface of the stone run at an angle like this on the upper girdle facet and then go straight down the surface of the girdle. Would a hairline fracture contained at the surface level be dangerous.

............../
............./ Upper girdle facet outline
............/
.......... I
...........I Girdle outline

can see hairline crack following the upper girdle facet outline - want to know if it also follows girdle outline, this crack is contained to the surface - is hairline breadth in depth.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I am trying to say is due to the angle difference between the slope of the upper girdle break facet and the actual girdle would a hairline fracture stop (or start) at the outside edge of the upper girdle break facet or can a hairline fracture travel along the upright straight girdle and also along the slope of the facet. The hairline fracture is contained to the surface of the stone and is only a hairs breadth in depth. It definitely continues right to the outside edge of the upper girdle break facet.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results