shape
carat
color
clarity

Question regarding converting pear stud earrings to dangle

Q

Queenie60

Hello - I have a pair of pear stud earrings that I never wear - I tend to wear my round studs every day. They are beautiful stones and I would like to make them into a dangle earring that I can wear maybe when I dress up, etc. They are currently set in a 5 prong white gold basket. I would like to dangle them from a round stud. 1 stone is 8.82 x 5.50 and the other is 8.75 x 5.56. What size of a round stud would be the best proportion for a pear of this size? I was thinking 1/3 carat? Any suggestions?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Question regarding converting pear stud earrings to dang

Go to local stores with your pears and see what you like best with them, size wise. That is the best way to check. Just go to Shreve in Stanford. They are (omg so ridiculously) expensive, but for browsing they are one of the best in the area. There's also a good (but snooty) jeweler in San Carlos that is a small store, but lots of selection.

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to do what you are doing. I adore pear drops. I would to them as jackets, FYI. Just a loop at the end that goes right onto the back of the round stud. That way you can wear the stud by itself or with the pears. So you get two looks.

Q

Queenie60

Great suggestions. Thank you ladies. What are your thoughts on a pave lever back, dangle the pears from that? I like that look as well.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow! How did I miss this??

Beautiful sized pears, Queenie! I would probably go up a tad in size for the stud part - say, to around .4 or even .45. I think the balance is best if the stud is about half the size of the pear.

You've probably seen these, and I apologize for repeating myself if you have, but here's my pear drops, which might be some use for inspiration. It's a .3ct pear at the top, then a 9 pt rb, then a .32 EC, then another 9 pt rb, then a .5 pear. Pave on the hooks. About 2.6ctw and roughly 2" (maybe slightly longer?)

I love pear drop earrings - incredibly elegant! Pls let us know what you decide - this would be a killer project! Had my pears been the same size as yours, I would have done the exact same setting you're considering. Would have done it in bezel, tho, because with pears, I find the prong work is always visible and slightly changes the profile/overall shape of the stone. Bezel, on the other hand, gives a nice, smooth look in the exact same shape as the stones.

_38174.jpg

Q

Queenie60

Thank you Mrs-B - Need to give it a rest for now, will probably begin the pear earring project after the first of the year. My hubby needs a bling rest! I like your idea of going a bit larger with the round stud. I'm going to entertain the idea of having CVB design something more vintage looking for me. Still pondering with ideas - this will be my next project. It's a shame to have these two stones just sitting in my safe, never worn.

Your earrings are beautiful. Great combination of different shapes. Do you wear them often? This is why I will be going with a more simple look as I tend to wear more simple, classic style jewelry.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Queenie, they will be gorgeous. I can't wait to see them. :appl:

Q

Queenie60

Thank you Marcy - look forward to the finished product!! Some day......

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results