shape
carat
color
clarity

Question re: James Allen & Engagement Ring in General

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

13bravo

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

Well, I read about James Allen in many of your posts and ended up finding a ring and diamond on their site. I am utterly lost when it comes to this and based on the good reviews sent them an email for assistance. Does anyone know how long it takes for them to respond? Or do they respond to emails? I sent it on Sunday and have not yet heard back. Additionally, I love the ring (sans diamond) and knowing my wife (yes I said wife haha) she will as well. But to that end, quick question, for those of you that have purchased rings from them, how close are they to the appearance on the website?

Also, here is a copy of the email I sent them...do any of you have any helpful advice you can give me? Thank you SO MUCH in advance for your help...I feel like I am drowning!

"Hi,

I am hoping you can help me. I am looking for an engagement ring for my wife (yes we are already married) and my head is spinning. I did find something on your site that I like in theory:

diamond# 1238291
ring# 1222P

But I am tentative to move. At first I was looking for a ring with a color no greater than D, Clarity no greater than VVS2, an Ideal cut, no fluorescence, and excellent on all polish and symmetry. But there is so much conflicting advice out there I feel I would be better off hanging myself..OK, just kidding.

Can you help steer me in the right direction? I want a brilliant round diamond that is "colorless" and has an incredible fire (or whatever you call it)...I want it to sparkle like nobodys business on her finger, and I want NO inclusion to be visible without a loupe. But I can''t spend a billion dollars.

I know, I am asking for the world and don''t have the world to offer. Anyway, any guidance you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I would like to have this in my possession by March 17th...our 10th anniversary. I know, I want it all, right? Haha!

I cheated my wife out of a real engagement and wedding and I wish to make it up to her this year...starting with this engagement ring. She is a wonderful woman that has stayed home and helped me to take care of my parents, whom both have alzheimers, while still raising our three children. See what I mean? She''s a saint!

Thanks in advance for your help!!"

Regards,

13Bravo

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
The stone looks promising. Ask for an idealscope image from JA.

Most people would be hard put to tell the difference in color of the stone from D-G once it is set and not side by side with other stone.

Clarity, VS1 inclusions are almost impossible to find with a 10x loupe. VS2 is quite safe and quite a lot of SI1 are eye-clean.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi 13bravo and welcome!

The diamond has great potential so ask JA for an Idealscope image, if that checks out it could be a definite contender. The quality looks great too so if the IS looks good as I think it might, then you could be set.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bravo,
Call them if you havent heard back. You are trying to get a ring put together pretty fast so I wouldnt waste
time with an email they might not have gotten.

tyty

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2010 12:11:18 PM
Author: tyty333
bravo,
Call them if you havent heard back. You are trying to get a ring put together pretty fast so I wouldnt waste
time with an email they might not have gotten.

tyty
ditto.

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Sometimes email gets caught in spam filters, definitely follow up with a phone call if you have not heard back from them.

13bravo

Rough_Rock
Wow! I Can''t believe how many responses I have received from you all...this forum is SO helpful! Thank you so much!

OK, here is the update: They just sent me an email and they said it appears to be a beautiful diamond. They also said:

"The diamond has received an excellent cut grade from GIA as well as excellent polish and symmetry. The diamond is a VS1, so the diamond will be completely eye-clean and you will need at least a 30x level of magnification to see any inclusions."

What do you think of the above?

They actually suggested that I do an Idealscope...like you all did below...but I have no idea what that is! What exactly is it and what should I look to learn from that? Is that something I purchase? Is it a free service? How do you review the results?

Also, let me ask you, it appears many (if not all) took a look at the diamond in question. So, what do you think? Idealscope aside...does that look/sound like a quality diamond? Am I skimping? Or am I skimping in an area I shouldn''t be? Am I overvaluing anything? Thanks in advance!

13Bravo

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/2/2010 1:20:01 PM
Author: 13bravo
Wow! I Can't believe how many responses I have received from you all...this forum is SO helpful! Thank you so much!

OK, here is the update: They just sent me an email and they said it appears to be a beautiful diamond. They also said:

'The diamond has received an excellent cut grade from GIA as well as excellent polish and symmetry. The diamond is a VS1, so the diamond will be completely eye-clean and you will need at least a 30x level of magnification to see any inclusions.'

What do you think of the above?

They actually suggested that I do an Idealscope...like you all did below...but I have no idea what that is! What exactly is it and what should I look to learn from that? Is that something I purchase? Is it a free service? How do you review the results?

Also, let me ask you, it appears many (if not all) took a look at the diamond in question. So, what do you think? Idealscope aside...does that look/sound like a quality diamond? Am I skimping? Or am I skimping in an area I shouldn't be? Am I overvaluing anything? Thanks in advance!

13Bravo
That sounds fine.

An Idealscope Image is an image that some vendors can supply on request which basically shows if there is any light leakage in the diamond.

James Allen will normally provide up to three images at no charge. As far as can be told this could be a great diamond but the image will tell us more, the quality is also very good.

13bravo

Rough_Rock
All of you are making me feel so much more confortable about my current diamond choice, THANK YOU! The idealscope makes complete sense now, thanks again! I look forward to getting the image...can I share it with all of your for your opinions?

No, I did not mention I was from pricescope...I''ve read so much about James Allen on this site but I never noticed that they give a discount...that would be great! I will let Tammy know if it looks like this is the diamond for me!

I will be back in touch...thanks for your continuing support!

13Bravo

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
yap, we will help you interpret the idealscope image. Just post it here when you get it.

13bravo

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

Well, I am still waiting on the Ideascope image from James Allen. While waiting, I wanted to ask everyone about their thoughts and experiences buying online. I''ve been speaking to some people about the diamond and the ring I am looking to get and everyone around me is telling me I am crazy to think of buying a diamond ring online.

They say sight unseen is NOT how to buy an engagement ring, pay too much, not sure of what you are getting...etc, etc. Any thoughts on making this type of purchase online (in general and with James Allen)...especially considering the price? Is this a mistake? Pros? Cons? Anything you have to add would be great. Of course, I am hoping you will once again allay my fears but please do be honest. Thanks!

Oh, and one more stupid question...the ring images all are shown with the James Allen name inscribed on the inside of the ring. Is that just for those people that copy the images for other sites? Or do they actually inscrive James Allen on all their rings? And if so, can you have them NOT do that? Thanks again!

13Bravo

Lula

Ideal_Rock
It is safe to buy online from James Allen. I have purchased from them in the past and so have many others on this site.

Buying diamonds and jewelry online is still pretty new. That''s why most people you tell think you''re crazy. You''re not crazy, but you are ahead of the curve!

Yes, I believe all of their rings have James Allen inscribed on them, unless it''s one of their other brands like Danhov. Ask your sales rep if you can have the name buffed out on the ring.

BRS

Rough_Rock
I also have a diamond on hold with James Allen, waiting for an Idealscope image to come back.

Mine is a 1.24 J Si1 (eye clean)
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1192781.asp

I have found James Allen to be very responsive to all my emails and phone calls. I had them pull about 4 different diamonds and send me Idealscope images. Two of them have visible inclusions and one just didn't have the cut quality I was looking for.

I was also told I was crazy for trying to buy a diamond online, but it was by the brick & mortar jeweler who could not match the price I showed him online!
36.gif

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
you can probably ask them to polish the inscription away if you ask.

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/9/2010 1:22:24 PM
Author: 13bravo
Oh, and one more stupid question...the ring images all are shown with the James Allen name inscribed on the inside of the ring. Is that just for those people that copy the images for other sites? Or do they actually inscrive James Allen on all their rings? And if so, can you have them NOT do that? Thanks again!
13Bravo

13Bravo,

Per our FAQ:

Is the name JAMES ALLEN going to be inscribed inside my ring like I see in the pictures online?
No. The JAMES ALLEN inscription shown in our online product images is to protect the copyright of our photographs and videos. Your ring will only be stamped with the metal type (18kt or Platinum) and the "JA" hallmark.

Hope this helps.

Bella123

Rough_Rock
Hi 13bravo,

I would check with James Allen to see how quickly they can get the Idealscope image for you. I''ve been waiting for one since Thursday and my anxiety is surely kicking in.

Best of luck!

BRS

Rough_Rock
I have also been waiting for a James Allen IS image. I keep compulsively checking my email every ten minutes!

Bella123

Rough_Rock
It''s an exciting and anxious time! I am also celebrating my 10th anniversary. Just make sure JA knows your time frame!
19.gif

blingmyring

Shiny_Rock
Hi 13Bravo,

My JA ring (simple solitare, basket setting) looks ONE MILLION TIMES BETTER than the rendition / photo of it on the website. Ask them, however, to pay close attention to the prongs. My prongs don''t match eachother as well as I would like but it''s only a temporary setting for me so I''m not too bothered. If it were my ''forever'' setting I would want my prongs redone. Then again, I didn''t pay a Leon Mege pricetag for this setting .... Looking forward to reading your updates.

13bravo

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

JA finally got my IS to me...they said their main imaging person just left the company so they are scrambling to catch up...hence, I am assuming, the delay we have all been experiencing. Also, just as Jim from JA just pointed out in my post, they confirmed it does not have the entire name engraved, just JA and the alloy..phew!

Well, the sent me an image earlier today but it was a mix-up and was not of my reserved diamond. I was very sad to hear that as this is what they said in the email:

"As for the Idealscope image itself, this promises to be an extremely beautiful diamond. The diamond will have edge to edge brilliance as indicated by the dominance of vibrant pink. There is very little light leakage around the girdle which will only aid in contrast and fiery flashes. The eight arrows are all beautifully symmetrical with great composition.
I am very excited to hear what my gemologist has to say about this diamond as I am sure it will exceed both of our expectations."

Here is what was said with the correct image:

"I had my gemologist review this diamond as well and this is what she had to say. The diamond is absolutely beautiful in person. The face up view of the diamond is extremely vibrant and exceeds her expectations based solely on the laboratory report. The diamond is a VS1 and contains a few minor inclusions. These are clouds which are faint and off to the side."

It doesn''t sound as ringing an endorsement...
8.gif
I have attached the image...please let me know what you think. I am not an expert at reading these at all. It doesn''t appear as nice as the "wrong" image that was sent. It seems to be cloudy in areas. So, what do you guys think???

1238291.jpg

13bravo

Rough_Rock
@ Bella123,

Congratulations on your 10 years!! It really is an exciting time...I am going nuts on this ring thing though...I know I should have planned it better but some rough family things have kept this up in the air for awhile. In any case, all the best to you two!

@ Blingmyring,

I will definitely bring up the prong issue...thanks for the heads up!

OK, here is an update (yes, an update from my post of two minutes ago...haha, I''m pathetic!)...this just goes to show how powerful "advertising" can be. If you note in my post above I thought the second image looked worse than the first. Well, I just did a side-by-side comparison for curiosity''s sake and I can only now believe that the words used in the two different emails affected how I viewed the image...as I believe there may have been a mix-up and I was sent the same exact image! They look identical to me! Am I wrong here? Are these images normally very similar or are these two the exact same image? The image in my post above is the second image they sent me. The image in this post is the first image they sent me which was supposed to be incorrect (and it had a different file name). What do you all think??

L401-3id.jpg

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
yap, looks like the same image.

Bella123

Rough_Rock
Thank you, 13Bravo. Congratulations to you also!! These images do look the same. I''m still checking my email constantly and haven''t received mine
8.gif
. I did speak with Darren and Tammy on the phone and they were both great, but that still doesn''t help the fact that I''ve been going crazy waiting since Thursday afternoon
8.gif

Hopefully they can verify that you are looking at the correct image. I don''t know too much, but from what I have read, the image looks great. Lots of red!!

But definitely see what the experts have to say!!

Best of luck!

13bravo

Rough_Rock
Well, Jim from JA called shortly after my posting apologizing about the mix up. As stated previously, they lost an imaging person and were backed up and trying real hard to get images out to everyone. In the craziness I got sent the same incorrect image again accidentally. Jim and Darin both apologized profusely and promised me a new image this morning.

Jim also took the time to go through my diamond with me...very helpful! I was surprised but very happy to get the call from him, they really jumped all over this.

Like you said Bella, that doesn't help that we are still waiting with tight schedules but it does make me feel better that they do seem to really care. Mistakes do happen...it is how people respond to the mistakes that really make the difference.

Also found out that the diamond is right here in NYC...I am wondering if I can make time during the week to head over there and have a look-see. As I work out on Long Island that's difficult...will literally need to take half a day off which is not easy for me.

In any case, I wait with baited breath for there email. As soon as I get the image I will post for your feedback, thanks for all your support!!

13Bravo

PS - Thanks Bella!! It's amazing how fast those 10 years go by, isn't it!?!?!?

Bella123

Rough_Rock
Hi 13Bravo,

I will have to agree that everyone at JA is very responsive. Everytime I''ve called or talked to someone online they answer within seconds, which is great. I''m sure they are as frustrated as we are, and I can fully understand!

I''m glad things seem to be working out! Hopefully my image will come in today also and I will be able to share it with all of you.
2.gif

All the best!

BRS

Rough_Rock
Hi 13bravo & Bella123

I am in the same boat as both of you! I have also been waiting for an idealscope image from JA for over 48 hours now and its driving me crazy!

I was planning to propose while my gf and I are on vacation next week, but I am worried that the delay in getting all the necessary info on this diamond will prevent the ring from getting here in time (Saturday). I guess its better to delay my proposal by a week than buy a diamond that I''m not 100% sure about.

Good luck to both of you finding the perfect diamond! I hope I can share my IS results with you once they arrives and you can give me some feedback.

13bravo

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

OK, sorry for the delay. I got the image this afternoon but I had a small family emergency that pulled me out of the office (my oldest son got injured in gym and I had to go pick him up) but life has settled down a bit and here I am. Here is the IS...soooo, what do you think? I can''t wait to hear your feedback! Does this loog good/bad/average? Great possibly??
9.gif

Bella / BRS, any luck? Did you get your images??

I can''t wait for everyone''s feedback. I''ll be looking to pull the trigger probably tomorrow or by Friday at the latest as I need this in my hands by the morning of the 17th (that''s the day!). Thanks in advance!

13Bravo

IS1238291.jpg

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks good.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks good to me too!!!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results