shape
carat
color
clarity

Question on synthetic diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gorri8

Shiny_Rock
I know this might be a silly question, but does the GIA grade a synthetic diamond?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, and you can''t talk about sims here anyway. Sorry!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/24/2008 5:32:46 PM
Author: neatfreak
Date: 11/24/2008 5:31:08 PM

Author: Addy

You might be able to ask the question on another part of the boards: https://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/forum.asp?forumID=60

Not if she means a simulant/synthetic stone. That forum is for man made diamonds which are different than sims.

Well ... actually, there''s a big difference between the two. Something that is passed off as a diamond when in actuality consisting of a different substance, that''s a simulant. A synthetic is simply a diamond produced by the hand of man, so should fit into the forum nicely - gorri8, you can e-mail one of the mods and ask them to move your thread to the right forum for additional discussion, but NeatFreak is right, GIA doesn''t grade synthetics ... yet. I believe there''s been some discussion about their possibly doing so in the near future ....

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/24/2008 5:37:42 PM
Author: Circe
Date: 11/24/2008 5:32:46 PM

Author: neatfreak

Date: 11/24/2008 5:31:08 PM

Author: Addy

You might be able to ask the question on another part of the boards: https://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/forum.asp?forumID=60

Not if she means a simulant/synthetic stone. That forum is for man made diamonds which are different than sims.

Well ... actually, there's a big difference between the two. Something that is passed off as a diamond when in actuality consisting of a different substance, that's a simulant. A synthetic is simply a diamond produced by the hand of man, so should fit into the forum nicely - gorri8, you can e-mail one of the mods and ask them to move your thread to the right forum for additional discussion, but NeatFreak is right, GIA doesn't grade synthetics ... yet. I believe there's been some discussion about their possibly doing so in the near future ....

Good point Circe. Simulants and synthetics are different animals...my phrasing was incorrect!

gorri8

Shiny_Rock
the reason I ask was that my bestfriend just got engaged and her diamond didn''t look anything like mine, but she said it was the same grade, cut and color. Her diamond didn''t look real. I feel bad for her. I didn''t want to be rude and ask her to see her GIA cert. Sorry if I offended anyone, it was just a question.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/24/2008 7:49:51 PM
Author: gorri8
the reason I ask was that my bestfriend just got engaged and her diamond didn''t look anything like mine, but she said it was the same grade, cut and color. Her diamond didn''t look real. I feel bad for her. I didn''t want to be rude and ask her to see her GIA cert. Sorry if I offended anyone, it was just a question.

No offense, it''s just a forum rule.

It''s very possible however that her stone is very poorly cut and/or very dirty. It''s amazing the difference between a nicely cut and CLEAN stone is to a dirty and poorly cut one.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Most synthetic diamonds look VERY different than what people think of when they think diamonds. Almost all are fancy colors! It’s not that natural diamonds don’t come in colors other than white, it’s just not what people are accustomed to.

The difference you are seeing is almost certainly in the cutting but may also be the lighting environment where you saw the stone or the cleaning.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Gorri, what do you mean by, "It didn't look real"? Perhaps it was too large for her income bracket?

gorri8

Shiny_Rock
It wasn''t as clear as an F color grade diamond she had claim it to be. I wish I had a photo of it.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
F is a color, not the clarity. You can have an F colored diamond (quite white) but an I3 clarity causing it to be very cloudy. A quick review of the diamond tutorial could help you determine if it is the color, cut, or clarity causing the problem.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Was it clean? It''s amazing what a coating of hand cream will do to a diamond. Absolutely kills the sparkle.

Clark McEwen

Rough_Rock
I do not believe that the original question ever got answered...yes the GIA as well as other Gem Labs will grade "Lab-Grown" diamonds...however they will not grade diamond simulants such as Moissanite, CZ, etc.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/26/2008 12:33:41 PM
Author: Clark McEwen
I do not believe that the original question ever got answered...yes the GIA as well as other Gem Labs will grade ''Lab-Grown'' diamonds...however they will not grade diamond simulants such as Moissanite, CZ, etc.
Hey Clark...

I read the news of your leaving your post at Gemesis....
Want to wish you good luck and a happy new year entering 2009...

Hope to see you back on the "natural" arena..., we could use people like you around
1.gif

Clark McEwen

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your best wishes! Be assured, I will be re-surfacing somewhere in the trade...I''m a permanent fixture in the diamond industry!

https://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/31.gif

Clark McEwen

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your best wishes! Be assured, I will be re-surfacing somewhere in the trade...I''m a permanent fixture in the diamond industry!

Suzie Gem

Rough_Rock
I''d like to add my twopenceworth - as a Brit'' I know that AnchorCert (the Birmingham, UK Assay office) would certify and have already seen, appraised, lazered and reported on two Phoenix Memorial Diamonds and yesterday at the Birmingham Spring Fair (the biggest European Jewellery Trade Show) the London Assay Office commented (verbally) that they would certify laboratory created diamonds.

ring tutor

Rough_Rock
such a timely question and deserves the correct answer. as a former GIA instructor, i can tell you GIA absolutely does grade synthetic diamonds. in fact, they use a synthetic diamond grading report. they have chosen to do so because the synthetic process is a stable treatment.
in addition, although there is an abundance of very small (under .25Ct) synthetic colorless diamonds in the industry, larger synthetic diamonds tend to be quite yellow.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results