shape
carat
color
clarity

Question on star and lower girdle numbers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Okay, so today I learned about painted vs. unpainted girdles as shown on IS images. Thanks everyone for your input.

So now it''s on to the star/lower girdle numbers. After reading some older posts and looking at GOG''s and others'' tutorials, I know that stars and lower girdle #''s make a difference in the appearance of the diamond.

But can someone enlighten me as to the importance (if any) of particular combinations? For example, what differences would I look for in two stones of similar size, color, clarity and dimensions (depth, crown and pav. angles, and all have HCA''s well under 2. I''m comparing 3 stones, all between .43 and .46 in size. The major differences between stones are the stars/lower girdles numbers. Will I see any difference in the stones due to these differences?
#1 55 stars and 81 lower girdle (traditional girdle)
#2 65 stars and 78 lower girdle (traditional girdle)
#3 72 stars and 76 lower girdle (painted girdle)

Thanks!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/14/2009 2:58:43 AM
Author:sarap333
Okay, so today I learned about painted vs. unpainted girdles as shown on IS images. Thanks everyone for your input.

So now it's on to the star/lower girdle numbers. After reading some older posts and looking at GOG's and others' tutorials, I know that stars and lower girdle #'s make a difference in the appearance of the diamond.

But can someone enlighten me as to the importance (if any) of particular combinations? For example, what differences would I look for in two stones of similar size, color, clarity and dimensions (depth, crown and pav. angles, and all have HCA's well under 2. I'm comparing 3 stones, all between .43 and .46 in size. The major differences between stones are the stars/lower girdles numbers. Will I see any difference in the stones due to these differences?
#1 55 stars and 81 lower girdle (traditional girdle)
#2 65 stars and 78 lower girdle (traditional girdle)
#3 72 stars and 76 lower girdle (painted girdle)

Thanks!
This page should tell you what you need to know, also with these size diamonds in person you probably wouldn't notice any difference from the above combos unless you were really looking for it.

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds_info/t/articles.aspx?articleid=154&zoneid=14

More on painting below.

http://journal.pricescope.com/Articles/45/1/Visible-Effects-of-Painting--Digging-on-Superideal-Diamonds.aspx

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Lorelei. Both links were really helpful, especially the second one. I''m narrowing down my search for the best 0.44 - .46 diamond and will post the data on the "final two" soon for feedback.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
72 stars with painting? need an IS image before considering it.
It will have some wacky upper girdle angles.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
whoops, 52 stars.
Actually, # 3 is out of the running because it''s got an obvious feather in the cutlet.
Now it''s between these two. But I have a question about all the black near the center of the Idealscope for stone #2. What exactly is causing that? Thoughts, comments, please?

Shape: Round
Carat weight: 0.52
Cut: Hearts & Arrows Ideal
Color: H
Clarity: VVS1
Certificate: AGS
Depth: 60.5%
Table: 55.8%
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Girdle: Thin to medium
Culet:
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 5.24*5.26*3.18
Crown Angle: 34.1°
Crown %: 15.00
pavilion Angle: 40.8°
pavilion %: 42.90
stars 55
lower girdles 78

Shape: Round
Carat weight: 0.45
Cut: Hearts & Arrows Ideal
Color: D
Clarity: VS2
Certificate: AGS
Depth: 61.0%
Table: 56.7%
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Girdle: Thin to medium
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 4.95*4.98*3.03
Crown Angle: 34.5°
Crown %: 14.90
pavilion Angle: 41.0°
pavilion %: 43.30
stars 55
lower girdles 81

T09-228ID - 2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results