shape
carat
color
clarity

question on Jewelers Mutual policy- please help!

jrich

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone-

I received my policy for my future e-ring that we did through JM, and I have a concern I wanted to see if anyone knows something about. Under the "How much we Pay" section, it says: "Our cost to repair, place or rebuild the ring with material of the same kind and quality to the extent practicable. When we replace or repair the covered property, it will be from the stock of the jeweler from whom the covered property was purchased or from another jeweler who is approved by us."

My concern is the "OR from another jeweler who is approved by us" part. I have the Vatche U-113 setting, which is what I'd want if I ever had to file I claim. Does that "OR" come in when for some reason the original setting is no longer being made, or can they just decide to use the OR if they just wanted to give you a cheaper look alike setting?

My item Description item has my exact 1.43 diamond listed, but for the setting it just lists "LDS ENG 14 KT TTG MTG" which I am reading as Ladies Engagement 14KT two toned (since my band is YG and my prongs are WG) Mounting". So it doesn't even look like my Vatche U-113 got listed on there, so I am concerned I wouldn't get that back again if I were to suffer a loss.

It looks like I they can replace it for cheaper than the actual covered amount (10,250) in my case, then they would replace it instead of giving me a check to replace the ring. I If I wanted a cash option, would they give me that cash amount of what they were able to replace the ring for? And would that include the Vatche U-113 or would it just include a cheaper Vatche Look alike, that I dont want? Or if giving me a cash option altogether is an NOT an option, my concern about my size and clarity make me nervous. I have a 1.43 K GIA triple ex, and I had to work hard to find that carat weight which gave me a much better price than hitting that 1.5 mark... but in my months of searching it was really the only one I found so you don't find many in the 1.4 range at all. Also my SI2 flaws are ones that work for me- they a prongable on the edges of the ring and a couple on the sides. What would they do for a like kind in my case, since I there aren't handfuls of other 1.43K excellent cut eye clean SI2's floating around out there?

I guess here are my two questions. Do I need to get them to write into my insurance that I have the Vatche U-113 and that is what I would only accept in the case of a loss? If for some reasons he didnt make them anymore, I'd want to pick my new setting, not let them pick for me! Also, I would want to pick my new diamond- not let them do it!

If I were subject to a loss is there a way I could just get them to write me a check for the apprised amount, so I could do all the new selections myself?? It says they will do what costs less to them- so I assume that means replace my ring.

I know these were so many questions but I dont want us paying for a policy that doesnt even cover the exact setting we have, nor would I want to let them pick out a like kind diamond for me, since my diamond specs are tricky.

Please let me know what you all think. I clearly need help! I am going to call them, but I wanted to hear from others who know much more about jewelry insurance first. I want to make sure i get this right.

Thanks so much!

Jessica

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Jessica, these are all great questions and I'm sure many of us would like to know the answers. I have a few thoughts about your setting question, but I would only be guessing so I leave it for the experts, but I'm looking forward to hearing what they have to say. Good questions! :))

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Jessica,

The only people who can answer your questions are people who work for JM. Please call them and ask them, then report back.

JM generally isn't a "cash to you" policy, it's for purchasing a replacement, but that replacement is supposed to be as close to the original as possible.

liz

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Jessica,
I thought I would share a couple thoughts that might help from the standpoint of a merchant who has worked with JM for many, many years. First, I have never seen any indication that JM would not do everything in their power to accomodate a customer. Second, I do feel it is important that your item description specifies the designer (Vatche) and model. Third, JM will only cash out if they are not reasonably able to replace like kind and quality, and then the policy limits are set by the appraisal amount (upon which your premium and their risk is based).

But as I stated above, I have never seen a case where they did not do everything and more to settle a claim to the satisfaction of their customer. Hope that helps.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ID Jewelry needs to redo the insurance valuation letter and be very specific about the setting.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Bravo for actually reading the policy!! I wish everyone would do so.

Contact JM and have it changed so it lists the make and model of the ring.
Ask them if they need any additional paperwork and what type.
Make sure the grading report and any cut grade it was given is included in the diamond description also.

jrich

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone- my appraisal from ID Jewelery does say Vatche on it so thats why I was surprised JM didnt write it in. I will contact them and update the post!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then you are probably okay if your supporting paperwork has that on it. My policy doesn't write out every angle of the diamond,etc. But that information is in their file.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Hi jrich,
Did you contact JM?
I just reread my policy thanks to you and contacted them to clarify that the description of my item. In case of a claim, I would not want JM to be in charge of simply finding me a replacement based on carat, color and clarity. They did not include in the description that my earrings are AGS and GIA ideal cut graded stones. I'm waiting back to hear from them.

jrich

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

I am back with my promised update. I talked to a rep with JM, and learned a lot:

1. They didn't write the Vatche U-113 into the policy, becasue it doesnt matter to them. If I were to suffer a loss, they said I am free to work with any jeweler I choose to work on a replacement. I am not bound to go back to vatche to get the same setting, but if I want of course I am able to do so. I said I would still be more comfortable if my specific setting, Vatche U-113, was written into the policy under "Items covered", and they said they'd make the change and update my policy.

2. If I were to suffer a loss, JM does not have a cash payout option. They would work with me to replace the ring.

3. I mentioned my specific stone would be very tough to replace exactly and I had concerns with what they would consider "like-kind" in the case my stone needed to be replaced. With it being an Excellent GIA K eye clean SI2 at the 1.43 carat size, you don't come across those often, at least I sure didn't when I was searching. Most were either closer to the 1.25-1.3 range or right at or right above 1.5. The rep said they would never replace it with anything lower or worse than what I currently have. So if another eyeclean K SI2 EX cut 1.43 couldn't be found that I was happy with, maybe I'd end up with a J at the same weight, or maybe I'd end up with a K at 1.45, etc.

They were definitely helpful. Overall they assured me that if I were to suffer a loss, I would be the one in control of choosing the replacement (choosing the vendor, approving the stone, etc), which wasn't that clear in the policy. This also makes me feel better about paying a higher premium (I have coverage for $10,250 versus the $6850 I actually paid). This definitely doesnt mean I'm free to SPEND $10250 if I needed to replace, but it does allow for a little wiggle room in the case that an exact "like-kind" match can't be found and I needed to go up a level in color, clarity, etc, where as if I was only covered at my price-paid amount, I wouldn't be able to do that.

If anyone has any questions let me know, and I hope this helps!

Jessica

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
That helps a TON! And definitely makes me feel better about the policy we are about to get.

trueblue101

Shiny_Rock
That is great news! I am happy that you received the information that you were looking for. I am in the process of obtaining ring insurance as we speak and I was wondering if you would pass on the agent's contact info. Thanks!

OneCatOneDog

Rough_Rock
I'm mostly a lurker, but I have to say that this is so helpful for me! I'm in the midst of an upgrade project and this is exactly what I was wondering.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results