shape
carat
color
clarity

Question on Certification

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tantan

Rough_Rock
Does GIA/AGS certification help to weed out those with painted/dugged girdles? Or it doesn''t help at all?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GIA will downgrade the cut grade for brillianteering/ painting to Very Good, it will say so in the comments section of a report " cut grade affected by brillianteering", other than that it is difficult to say, images are needed and the opinion of a trusted vendor. It isn't always the case that painting will have a negative effect on a diamond's appearance, sometimes some skilled brillianteering can emphasize desirable visual properties in a diamond.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
‘Weed out’? Done well, digging and painting is not a defect. Done poorly nearly everything is a defect. No, this is not something that's included on GIA's reports but it is, to a small extent, considered as an element in their cut grade.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

DrDiamondsGG

Rough_Rock
When GIA grades diamonds (they do not "certify"), its graders do indeed record painting/digging out in their internal files. Painting/digging out will be judged during girdle thickness evaluation. According to GIA''s grading standards, a diamond with moderate painting/digging out will receive a VG grade at best. Of course the cut grade will go down with more extensive painting/digging out. Therefore, slight painting/digging out may not impact the cut grade.

tantan

Rough_Rock
Interesting. I didn''t realise that digging can be a good thing if done well. Thanks to everyone here which actually gives people like me an education. I learnt something new again!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results