shape
carat
color
clarity

Question: Mounting LOGR Rings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
I like the mounting offered by LOGR for their price and style. I am thinking of getting some of my color stones mounted. The question is: how / where can I get my stone set once I get the rings from LOGR? My local jewler? I live in DC area and the customer jewler I used charge quite a lot to mount stuff that is not bought from them.

All advice appreciated!
1.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2009 12:11:25 PM
Author:yingh
I like the mounting offered by LOGR for their price and style. I am thinking of getting some of my color stones mounted. The question is: how / where can I get my stone set once I get the rings from LOGR? My local jewler? I live in DC area and the customer jewler I used charge quite a lot to mount stuff that is not bought from them.

All advice appreciated!
1.gif

Not all jewelry stores will mount stones that do not come from them, so you have to find a skilled benchman to do this. Notice the emphasis on the word "skilled." I do believe it costs more at some jewelers to mount stones, especially white gold, since you have to replate the whole ring with rhodium afterwards. If you trust your benchman to do a good job, then I would stick with them because an unskilled benchman might not set the stone correctly, or chip the stone.

ETA: Off topic but just wanted to thank you for the nice comments about my garnet. Your rings are gorgeous!! I don't know if I ever mentioned that. I enjoyed the pics in the eyecandy thread.

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
Quest Jewelers charged me $95 to mount a stone. That included the rhodium plating.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My jeweler charges $35 to $50 to mount a typical stone in a basic four prong setting in rose or yellow gold. For white gold, it''s $60 extra on top of that charge. It isn''t cheap, but many of these jewelry stores make their livelihood off of benchwork and labor.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Quest made two of my favorite rings so I definitely trust their work!

Back to LOGR mountings - my research on this forum shown that their rings are not heavy duty enough to be entrusted with expensive stones, is that true? What about diamond upgrades, does it worth the money? Thanks for all the help!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2009 1:53:29 AM
Author: yingh
Quest made two of my favorite rings so I definitely trust their work!

Back to LOGR mountings - my research on this forum shown that their rings are not heavy duty enough to be entrusted with expensive stones, is that true? What about diamond upgrades, does it worth the money? Thanks for all the help!
I pay £20 (about $30) for setting a gemstone and that includes rhodium plating.

In terms of the LOGR mountings - yes, some area heavy duty enough to hold expensive gemstones BUT you pay for what you get. The Legacyesque type settings are a good weight.

In terms of diamond upgrading, if you upgrade it can become relatively expensive and you won''t know what you would have got had you not upgraded! It varies tremendously from setting to setting. If poorer quality diamonds are going to annoy you and/or you''re colour/inclusion aware then I''d suggest to upgrade.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I have not upgraded any of the diamonds on my LOGR rings. I have been pleased with the way they look. Others, though, have received diamonds that are dark with their LOGR. It''s such a hit or miss thing with their quality.

TL does upgrade her diamonds and her rings look stunning. I did order a LOGR last week for my peach tourmaline and upgraded the diamonds so that I can compare with my other LOGR.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I should also mention that in my upgraded diamond settings, the diamonds are full cuts. The default diamonds in my one non-upgraded setting are single cuts. I cannot say this is true for all LOGR''s owned by PS members, but it''s something to consider, especially if you like full cut diamonds.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
So please explain about the need to rhodium plate. If I were to order a white gold setting, after the stone is set - the jeweler would need to rhodium?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2009 10:27:32 AM
Author: cinnamon013
So please explain about the need to rhodium plate. If I were to order a white gold setting, after the stone is set - the jeweler would need to rhodium?
The heat of the torch as they''re tyring to bend metal in order to set it causes the white gold plating to wear away and turn more yellowish. White gold is typically plated. Therefore, they need to replate in order to give the white gold back it''s shine. The plating on white gold tends to also wear away with constant wear, so it''s also a good idea to replate white gold rings every so often if you don''t like them turning more yellow, or darker. That being said, my jeweler charges ALOT to replate because it is laborious due to the fact that so much repolishing of the piece is needed before replating, and the fact that rhodium is very expensive. Therefore, I have asked them not to replate it until I see the stone set, and then I''ll decide if it needs replating. I have two rings that were not replated because I didn''t see a significant difference. The prongs on one piece are slightly grey, but it''s not super noticable, and the rest of the ring was perfect, so I told them to skip the replating. I didn''t think it was worth $60 to fix the slightly grey prongs.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
TL, thanks for explaining the need for replate. Though it is not practical for everyone, but if any of you makes a trip to NYC, that''s the best place to get it done. Just visit the diamond district, and every store (there are hundreds of them) have benchman upstairs to do all sorts of work. When you travel, make sure you have all your jewelry pieces with you. Last year on a conference in NYC, my coworker got her ring replated for a mere $10, had another ring''s missing diamond replaced for $40 - our local store wants $150 for that.

http://www.diamonddistrict.org/

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
TL - what do you mean by full cuts vs. single cuts? Thanks!

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2009 12:03:07 PM
TL, thanks for explaining the need for replate. Though it is not practical for everyone, but if any of you makes a trip to NYC, that''s the best place to get it done. Just visit the diamond district, and every store (there are hundreds of them) have benchman upstairs to do all sorts of work. When you travel, make sure you have all your jewelry pieces with you. Last year on a conference in NYC, my coworker got her ring replated for a mere $10, had another ring''s missing diamond replaced for $40 - our local store wants $150 for that.

http://www.diamonddistrict.org/
You wouldn''t happen to know a particular jeweler you can recommend? Believe it or not, I''ve had the worst luck with the diamond district jewelers and I work literally right next block. Unless you''re looking to purchase diamonds from them, most of them seem completely disinterested (and downright rude) in any smaller jobs like setting stones into settings they didn''t sell. Even when I tried to buy a setting from them, I was turned down by most because I wasn''t looking for any fancy diamond settings
38.gif
I''m sure I''m just not finding the right one, but after being rudely treated by 10+ places in 1 day it sort of doesn''t seem worth it.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I also just ordered my first LOGR setting, for my champagne diamond. I did take ''TL''s'' advice and went for the diamond upgrade as well...I didn''t want to get a dark diamond (a halo setting) that would stand out and ruin the halo effect and figured the up front charge would be less than trying to have a bad stone changed out locally. I am planning on wearing this as my ering, and think it will hold up to daily wear, it looks just as sturdy as any other semi mount I''ve seen in the stores...I''ll let you know when I get it! could be two weeks though...ugh.

And my local jeweler said he''d set my diamond ''for around $20.00'' - I''m hoping that is the case. He does a lot of custom work and is very reasonably priced for his repairs, etc. He cleaned, buffed and reshaped hubby''s wedding ring for free, and it looks almost new...I know that''s not a big deal, but someone else would have charged something to do that for us. Hubby''s ring has five, very beautiful good sized diamonds in the band and will need a reprong eventually, which will be pricey...but his diamonds are really good so a repair is worth investing in.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
To Babyblue
Last summer I had great experience at Klim Jewelry at 66 W 47th St. 212.869.3950 I got my alexandrite mounted in a pave setting ring, and a pair of orange-red sapphire mounted as earrings (picture coming soon). The owner did the setting himself - he is a Russian descendant. Price of course is higher than LOGR but still very reasonable if you pay cash. Good quality work. I also bought from them a pair of diamond hoop earrings. Love all those three pieces.

However, if you just need repair or replate, just walk up to the up level of the stores and find a benceman directly. They don't sell any jewelry but will give you a quote on the job. I don't remember the store we did the replate, it was a store we randomly walked in and asked for repair before we were directed to the second floor.

To TL
Does an upgrade from LOGR guarantee full cut diamonds or it depends? I sure don't want single cuts. Thanks!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2009 2:50:09 PM
To TL
Does an upgrade from LOGR guarantee full cut diamonds or it depends? I sure don't want single cuts. Thanks!
Good question, I would get that in writing from him that they are "full cut VS diamonds" before I have him start on any work. So far the settings I've had with upgrades are full cut, but he never specifies the difference (single cut vs. full cut) in his listings. Also note that if you do decide to return a ring with the diamond upgrade, most likely you'll be charged a non-refundable micro-set fee of $30. I've tried to get him to admit this for only Pave mounts, but he never really comes out and states which settings are truly pave or not, even if the listing doesn't say "pave" in the title. Therefore, just be warned about that. He does talk about the $30 non-refundable fee in each listing (in the fine print), but it's not obvious. Therefore, make sure you know that most likely you'll have to deal with this if you're not happy with the outcome. I think you will get a full refund if you don't upgrade the diamonds.

Aside from the specifics, I've been happy overall with the settings for the money, so that's why I keep buying them, although I'm more careful now that I know about the "micro-set" fee.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 10:37:02 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Date: 2/8/2009 10:27:32 AM

The heat of the torch as they''re tyring to bend metal in order to set it causes the white gold plating to wear away and turn more yellowish.

33.gif
Confused. I''ve never seen a torch used in the stone setting process. How does that work?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know exactly what they call it since I''m unfamiliar with the whole process, but some "hot tool" they use to bend the metal. I had always assumed it was some torch because my jeweler tells me that have to heat it to bend the metal.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 4:40:20 PM
I don't know exactly what they call it since I'm unfamiliar with the whole process, but some 'hot tool' they use to bend the metal. I had always assumed it was some torch because my jeweler tells me that have to heat it to bend the metal.

Interesting. I'm only familiar with the brute force method using the usual implements. Maybe somebody will chime in on the use of heat.

PS Apologies for the mini-threadjack!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know there''s a lot of hammering, "beating" and notching but I haven''t heard about the use of heat for settings. At least that''s what I gleaned from browsing Rocky Talky.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 5:11:15 PM
Author: Chrono
I know there''s a lot of hammering, ''beating'' and notching but I haven''t heard about the use of heat for settings. At least that''s what I gleaned from browsing Rocky Talky.

Yeah, I know. The only other time I''ve heard somebody refer to heat in the setting process was when a stone popped out of my tennis bracelet. This is kind of a funny story. Luckily I had the loose stone so I took it and the bracelet down to a big local jeweler and the lady told me that they had to use heat to reset the stone [I had just had the bracelet rhodium plated to turn it from yellow gold [which did not match my new watch] to white so I had no interest in heat]. I looked at her funny and asked her if she was kidding. [she said no] So, I went home, hauled out my burnisher, ring clamp and pliers and reset the thing myself! LOL!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ll ask my jeweler next time I''m in there. It''s a good question. I don''t know how else they would be able to cleave and bend the metal, especially for those fancy claw prongs that everyone likes!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 5:40:50 PM
I'll ask my jeweler next time I'm in there. It's a good question. I don't know how else they would be able to cleave and bend the metal, especially for those fancy claw prongs that everyone likes!

They make some really cool tools to cleave, bend and otherwise manhandle precious metal wire, sheet, etc. There's nothing like raising a nice silver bowl by wailing on it with various hammers to vent your aggressions! LOL!
9.gif

Here are a few articles on basic prong setting for round brilliants. You can also shape the prongs before you push them into place which you would certainly want to do if you are working with an easily scratchable stone. Bezel settings are also done by hand.
Part 1: Common Procedure
Part 2: Avoiding Prong Failure
Part 3:: The Results
Hope this helps.

But do ask about the heat thing.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results