shape
carat
color
clarity

Question for those who have bigger than average size ring

DuckLovingVegan

Shiny_Rock
Do you ever feel like your going to get robbed? I only say this because sometimes they may attract the wrong time of attention. I'm debating whether or not I should consider this 1.7 ct rb diamond. I like the size but at the same time I don't want to be flashy. Which is also why I'm considering a 1.25 ct or 0.80 ct. In my group of friends it would be bigger than all of them. I would also not have to worry about getting robbed because it wouldn't be as big. Any comments or suggestions are welcomed. Thank You in advance.

HornAround

Shiny_Rock
Re: Question for those who have bigger than average size rin

1.7 or .80 doesn't really matter, if someone is going to rob you they are going to rob you. My concern is, if you'd think you'd be happy with a smaller diamond, why not do it just for monetary reasons?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

We have a of people on here with diamonds over 2 cts. I just don't think it is all that common for a woman to be attacked and robbed just for a diamond ring. I think you need to decide what size you will really be comfortable wearing considering the sizes that your friends and family wear, though. Mine at 1.63 is larger than my sisters' diamonds and most of my friends. But it is not so much bigger to look extremely out of place.

confusedaisy

Shiny_Rock

HornAround|1302275281|2891067 said:
1.7 or .80 doesn't really matter, if someone is going to rob you they are going to rob you. My concern is, if you'd think you'd be happy with a smaller diamond, why not do it just for monetary reasons?
Ditto

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it is reasonable to be more concerned about security with a larger diamond.

Larger diamonds are worth more, and just more noticeable.
Well cut diamonds are more noticeable.
Clean diamonds are more noticeable.

If I were concerned I'd either not wear it where I'm not comfortable or spin it around before I get onto the train.

BTW, considering the topic I hope your avatar is not a pic of you.
If so perhaps you might want to change it.

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock

I have a 2 carat stone that I wear just about every day and every where. For the most part I don't even think about it any more. That being said I do have it insured so that I can have that comfort.

My stone is definately one of the larger ones in my circle of friends, but I like it. I am a blingy girl, at least with my diamonds. But I an a jeans a t-shirt girl. You should get what you want and what you think you will be comfortable wearing. If you want the 1.7 and you have the confidence to wear it REGULARLY then go for it. You think it will spend more time at home in your jewlery box then maybe think about going down a little in size.

Good Luck can not see what you chose.
:bigsmile:

mk2007

Rough_Rock

kenny|1302277062|2891091 said:

Excuse me, but huh...?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

I agree with the other posters that it's important to choose a diamond you'll be comfortable wearing. My original ering was a 2 ct cushion, on an eternity band and while blingy, I never felt it made me a target for thieves.

Besides, I think it's about being smart and evaluating your surroundings. It's easy to turn a ring around and hide your center stone if you find yourself in an unsafe area.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mk2007|1302278348|2891107 said:
kenny|1302277062|2891091 said:

Excuse me, but huh...?

She is posting that she's considering getting a 1.7 ct diamond but is concerned about security.
Yet she has an avatar pic that may be her.
(It also may not be her.)
If concerned about your own security you may not want to post a pic of yourself on a diamond forum.
That is all I was saying.

People vary.
Some of people here with diamonds larger that 1.7 post their pics.
Others would never post their pic on the Internet, even if they had no diamond.
Everyone does what they are comfortable with.

But to post your own pic (if it is, in fact, her) while expressing security concerns strikes me as incongruent.
That's all.
If it is her and she is fine with it, then fine.
I'm certainly not attacking or criticizing or telling her what to do.
I'm offering a perspective that she may find helpful and constructive, which she is certainly free to ignore.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

There have been a few occassions where I have put my hand in my pocket wearing my 1.7ct RB. I don't think it would make people steal my ring, but a large diamond might make it look like there is something good in my purse (there is not 8) ). But that is only when I am in a city I am unfamiliar with and it is night and I am alone. Very rare.

I usually wear about 5-6 carats when I go out... if someone is going to rob me.. they're going to rob me. I have learned recently that I won't change what I want to do just because of fear.. or what others might do or say.

But, with that said, I wouldn't wear my jewelry while jogging alone at 5am around my place. I wasn't born yesterday :)

mk2007

Rough_Rock

kenny|1302280482|2891139 said:
She is posting that she's considering getting a 1.7 ct diamond but is concerned about security.
If concerned about your own security you may not want to post a pic of yourself on a diamond forum.

People vary.

But to post your own pic (if it is, in fact, her) while expressing security concerns strikes me as incongruent.
That's all.
I'm offering a perspective that she may find helpful and constructive, which she is certainly free to ignore.

It's just a picture, not a copy of her driver's license with name, location, etc. If you're that concerned about security on the internet, I hope you're not posting on this forum from your home computer. The IP address can lead someone right to your neighborhood, sometimes with surprisingly accurate information. Also, you've chosen to use your first name as your SN, so I hope you're well protected :shock:

betty6333

Shiny_Rock

Usually if I am wearing a larger ct weight ring, people assume it is fake. So no I dont worry about it being stolen. I live in a pretty safe area anyway so I dont worry too much about it. Most people leave their doors unlocked actually , everyone knows all then neighbors and they watch out for each other. Same when I am out people are pretty friendly, and we don't have a very high crime rate at all. Most police calls are for traffic accidents and domestic disputes ect...
When traveling though, I don't wear my expensive stuff. I wear a 1.10 ct round , when traveling out of the country, I wear a plain band.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mk2007|1302285072|2891248 said:
kenny|1302280482|2891139 said:

People vary.

That's all.

It's just a picture, not a copy of her driver's license with name, location, etc. If you're that concerned about security on the internet, I hope you're not posting on this forum from your home computer. The IP address can lead someone right to your neighborhood, sometimes with surprisingly accurate information. Also, you've chosen to use your first name as your SN, so I hope you're well protected :shock:

Something that people with Top Secret government clearances learn is that security is not black and white, all or nothing.
Security can be thought of as protecting a picture that is cut up into a puzzle.
One seemingly worthless piece of information can be just the missing piece needed.

For the bad guy, or gal, to get you they must put together the puzzle.
Each piece of a puzzle is worthless alone, but valuable when combined.

To me this means it is not wise to throw up my hands up and say, "Since they may have one piece of the puzzle, let's just give them the rest".

LGK

Ideal_Rock

Marquiseluv|1302285721|2891258 said:
Usually if I am wearing a larger ct weight ring, people assume it is fake. So no I dont worry about it being stolen. I live in a pretty safe area anyway so I dont worry too much about it. Most people leave their doors unlocked actually , everyone knows all then neighbors and they watch out for each other. Same when I am out people are pretty friendly, and we don't have a very high crime rate at all. Most police calls are for traffic accidents and domestic disputes ect...
When traveling though, I don't wear my expensive stuff. I wear a 1.10 ct round , when traveling out of the country, I wear a plain band.
Yep. I wear a 3.39 ct antique cut diamond, and usually quite a bit of other jewelry. And most people assume it's fake. Especially if you're young looking (I'm 34 but since I have an oddball sense of style people tend to think I'm younger). So anyway- get what you like, if someone is going to rob you of jewelry, they'd do it for a smaller ct weight anyway IMO.

That being said, it's always wise to be aware of your safety. If you are in unsafe areas frequently, turn your ring palm-in, and hide any other jewelry (like earrings under your hair or whatever). I rarely wander around large metro areas that I'd worry about my safety in, but occasionally I do turn my ring around like that, in some places.

And peresonally I never travel with my jewelry- as a tourist you're way more likely a target for robbery.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I wouldn't let the fear of being robbed dissuade me from getting a larger stone if that's what I really wanted. You can take precautions if you know you are going to be in an unsafe area.

DuckLovingVegan

Shiny_Rock

I feel better about the idea of buying the stone now with the tips you all provided. I don't want to buy a smaller stone and always regret the decision later. A 1.7 ct would be about the biggest I want to go I get almost the the 2ct look without the extra price tag. It's funny because when I first came here I would of never dreamed I could get a ring that big. I bought a 1.25 ct cz to try out and while not small by any means it was just too small for me. The DSS set in early and with a 1.7 ct I don't see that happening. You all are right I can't live in fear all my life that would be a tough life. I'm just going to be smart if I do get that size about where I wear it and my surroundings. With my luck people will probably think it's fake seeing how I'm in my 20's. Yes that is a picture of me I don't have a problem with it being on the board. I mean I don't think a person would take their time to track me down based on a post about a diamond I might get. I just want to thank you guys for all your help.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

DLV, enjoy your upgrade to the fullest. :appl:

I wear a substantial rock, and Looooooooooooove it.
If someone steals it, so be it; someone will get to enjoy it.
At least I got to spend some time with it.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock

I think this is a valid fear. It's not just they might steal the ring, it's that someone looking for someone to mug might choose someone with ostentatious jewelry in hopes that same person is carrying around a couple hundred dollars in cash or other valuables.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock

Yes, I don't think it's unreasonable to think about such things and to ask about them. I don't know that it would make a difference to have a 1 or 1.2 carat diamond as opposed to a 1.7 diamond so far as attracting unwanted attention though. You might not think so if you read Pricescope all the time, but those are all very big diamonds to most people, most places and to tell the truth, there are people who would hit you over the head to get your .50 carat diamond.

I would say to try to not to go to places that you sense are unsafe wearing anything that makes you look better off, including pricy handbag and clothes and as a woman not to be alone even in places that you think of as good neighborhoods in say, empty parking lots or places where there are not lots of people around and it looks protected. If you are going somewhere you don't know how the area is (the person talking about being a tourist was spot on), just leave the bling home. I wouldn't say that you shouldn't buy what you want because of fear but that you don't have to wear it everywhere, even if you have a RIGHT to wear it everywhere.

best to you.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock

oh my... I used to really be worried about it at first. I have a 5+CT center stone and now, it's really not a big deal anymore. When I feel uncomfortable, I turn my ring inside the palm of my hand. I certainly do no take my ring with m if I go to countries I have never been to and feel i would be an easy target.

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock

I say get as big as your budget allows bc DSS sets in FAST. If someone is going to rob you, they will regardless if its a 1ct, 1.5ct, or 2ct. The average thief isnt judging you by the 4 C's before saying "I'm taking that ring"....I would be more worried about my purse getting snatched than my ring (and a ring is easier to hide---turn it around).

Dont settle for less than what your heart and budget desires out of fear---just make sure you have insurance.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

for the record...all the jewelry that i've posted on PS are fakes.

happybear

Shiny_Rock

Dancing Fire|1302308348|2891596 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

slg47

Ideal_Rock

happybear|1302311007|2891623 said:

watches, too? :lol:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

slg47|1302317210|2891695 said:
happybear|1302311007|2891623 said:

watches, too? :lol:
yes,so don't your time robbing me.

betty6333

Shiny_Rock

Rotf !!

bunnysparkle

Rough_Rock

Just buy good insurance.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results