shape
carat
color
clarity

Question for the jewelers...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
I am interested in having three diamonds removed from a family wedding band. The diamonds are approximately 2mm diameter single cut rounds, maybe 3pts each.

One diamond I simply want removed and saved for my FIs wedding band. The remaining two I want to have burnish set/bead set into two plain platinum bands. (Basically, I want a band in which the small stone is set flush with the metal.) One band would be a size 4, one band would be a size 4.5.

My questions: what is the thinnest (mm) size platinum band you would feel comfortable setting these stones in?
What should I expect to pay to have this done?

Thank you!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

The usual limitation on flush setting is the thickness of the band. With stones that size, a 1.5mm thickness is sufficient and this is actually rather thin for a typical band so I don’t think you’ll have any problem. It’s not an especially difficult job but different craftsmen charge different rates for their labor and the details of the bands can vary by quite a bit. I think in most places you can get the setting work done for about $25 or so per stone. Shop around some of the online dealers and you should be able to come up with an offer for a platinum band in the appropriate size.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
On my fi''s band, I had a sapphire set into the inside of the shank and the stone was about .10 (so about .6 carats in diamond weight) and he said he wouldn''t be able to go much bigger and do flush set unless the band was thicker. Denver''s price quote sounds about right since I paid about $70 for the stone and to set it into the band.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results