shape
carat
color
clarity

Question for owners of a Tiffany diamond ring

Lavi828

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!
I was wondering if anyone else has purchased (or been gifted/proposed to) with a Tiffany diamond ring that displays fluorescent properties when exposed to a UV light source in a real world context?

I purchased a diamond with no fluorescence officially listed on Tiffany’s independent cert report, but it very much fluoresced under a UV LED pen light as well as a nail lamp in the salon.

As an educated diamond consumer, clearly this was troubling and I was wondering if anyone else has had the same experience.

Any replies would be helpful!! Thank you in advance!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Did you purchase second hand, or from Tiffany?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately Tiffany stopped sending their diamonds to reputable independent labs for grading.
Now they grade them themselves.
IMO, this is a conflict of interest.
It's the very independence of a gem lab that lends credibility to their grades.

If you haven't already done this I'd verify I know what a fluorescing diamond really looks like in person.
After all, most things looks blue under a UV light.
Looking blue is different than glowing blue, or whatever hue a given diamond glows with fluorescence.
(I have one that fluoresces hot pink.)

If you line up many diamonds, from no fluor to lots, under a UV light and they'll all look blue.
Even a white cotton T-shirt looks very blue under UV light.
But those with more will glow increasingly blue.

04.jpg

Compare your Tiff diamond side by side to others you KNOW have fluorescence.
How?
You could buy one or two (with reports from GIA or AGS, the only labs I trust in the USA) with the full intent of returning them, and just eating the cost of shipping.

Or, depending on your location, you may be able to find a local jeweler with inventory of diamonds that fluoresce.
Again tell em you are shopping ONLY for fluorescent diamonds graded by GIA or AGS.
Wear your Tiff rock in when you show up with a battery-powered inexpensive UV light source.
I think I paid around $20 for mine.

Last edited:

Lavi828

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the replies!! I have three diamonds with GIA certs that are fluorescent (one med blue, two faint) so I’m very familiar with what it looks like, and how I noticed it in the first place. When we purchased it, we were explicit in asking for a non-fluorescent stone. It was purchased retail, not second hand. Just wondering if any others on the forum have purchased from the retailer directly stones graded as “none” only to discover they do in fact have a degree of fluorescent not disclosed on the report?

Lavi828

Rough_Rock
Also compared to the other diamonds in eternity band initially, it looks like no question it’s fluorescent to me...

Attachments

• 709678E8-C590-4FFE-91D9-C1B17C6C9DBC.png
    709678E8-C590-4FFE-91D9-C1B17C6C9DBC.png
    578.9 KB · Views: 73

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
My original e-ring was from Tiffany's. No fluoro…. and Tiffany's grading was spot on.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're certain a grade on your Tiffany report does not match your Tiffany diamond I'd return it for a refund.
Maybe other grades are wrong too.

Then I'd buy a diamond from a more reputable vendor.
IMO any vendor self-grading their diamonds, let alone super-expensive ones, is not reputable.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would take it with the cert to an independent appraiser and have them evaluate it to see if it matches in other respects, or if the only difference is fluorescence. Is it possible it is a different diamond entirely? Then I too would return it to Tiffany... either for a refund or a price-adjustment/partial refund.

Lavi828

Rough_Rock
Thank you! Just curious if anyone else has had a similar experience. Perhaps others have and just don’t know it, or know it yet, or have enough of a knowledge of diamonds to pick up on it.

If anyone else is out there who has a Tiffany non-fluor stone, I urge you to take a look at it under UV or LED UV light. Pen lights are cheap on amazon and cal also be found in nail salons or sometimes restaurants or nightclubs. Easiest way to test is to buy a UV pen light, but I wonder if anyone has noticed by chance and has a concern.

thanks again for all your replies and help!

Lvoeshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Please keep us posted of the result. I really hope Tiffany isn’t improperly grading their diamonds “their way” and missing the mark on something like this.

Also, how long ago did you purchase? Could you get your money back?

Pimberly

Rough_Rock
From their website:

“The warranty states that if, at any point in the life of the purchaser, it is ever discovered that the diamond differs in quality from what the Tiffany Diamond Certificate states at the time of purchase, Tiffany will either offer a full refund or replace the diamond with a diamond matching the correct quality stated on the certificate or better.”

Lavi828

Rough_Rock
I did get the money back. Just curious whether or not others have had any similar experiences!:)

Lvoeshinythings

Shiny_Rock
I did get the money back. Just curious whether or not others have had any similar experiences!:)

Well that’s a good share... I was worried what recourse would be. Did they say anything or what was that convo like with them? Just curious.

Lavi828

Rough_Rock
We didn’t get that far but they did refund us in full. I was curious to see whether or not this is an isolated case or something that happens often with their products? If there’s anyone out there who purchased a Tiffany diamond, it would be wise to check it for fluorescence independently either with a UV source of your own or an independent appraiser. If the stone “glows” or looks like the photos I posted or the chart posted by Kenny above, please reach out to me personally!

Lavi828

Rough_Rock
(Of course, if it’s a stone with faint or medium, medium blue fluorescence described on the report, that makes sense. This would only be for individuals who purchased a diamond that was non-fluorescent.)

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
@Lavi828 - can I ask what kind of diamond your Tiffany was? I have a Lucida that I bought and I am curious about it now.

Lavi828

Rough_Rock
Hi eesmom! It was an emerald cut, about 2.5 carats. I color, Vs, excellent cut, symmetry and polish. Beautiful stone but I couldn’t get past the fluorescence because it devalued it from a market standpoint and wasn’t in line with what I was sold. I would urge you to check out your ring, there’s a good chance there are no discrepancies but if they are, I would be interested to see if others have had the same experience. Pen lights on amazon are cheap, or if you ever go to the nail salon the lamp they use for gel manis could also tell you. I hope that’s helpful!!

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone!
I was wondering if anyone else has purchased (or been gifted/proposed to) with a Tiffany diamond ring that displays fluorescent properties when exposed to a UV light source in a real world context?

I purchased a diamond with no fluorescence officially listed on Tiffany’s independent cert report, but it very much fluoresced under a UV LED pen light as well as a nail lamp in the salon.

As an educated diamond consumer, clearly this was troubling and I was wondering if anyone else has had the same experience.

Any replies would be helpful!! Thank you in advance!

I have a Tiffany ring supposedly with medium blue. I was curious after reading your post and ordered a blue light pen from Amazon, which should arrive tomorrow. I can post what my diamond looks like.

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
Hi eesmom! It was an emerald cut, about 2.5 carats. I color, Vs, excellent cut, symmetry and polish. Beautiful stone but I couldn’t get past the fluorescence because it devalued it from a market standpoint and wasn’t in line with what I was sold. I would urge you to check out your ring, there’s a good chance there are no discrepancies but if they are, I would be interested to see if others have had the same experience. Pen lights on amazon are cheap, or if you ever go to the nail salon the lamp they use for gel manis could also tell you. I hope that’s helpful!!
Thanks, I will take a look and see the next time I get my nails done! Or more likely when my daughters want their nails done! Lol.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Absolutely - if you bought and paid for no fluor, it is unacceptable for it to be fluorescent. I am glad you were easily able to get refunded. Do you need help picking out a new stone? If so, this forum is ready, willing, and able!

I don't know about Tiffany - but it is common for other stores that grade their own stones to be "generous" to the point of inaccuracy. It wouldn't surprise me if Tiffany does the same thing.

Lavi828

Rough_Rock
Thank you all! What a fantastic forum, it has been great to get the support like this. I ended up going with one from Brilliant Earth, and while it’s not a Tiffany product I was able to upgrade the specs and size for less money. The stone is a beauty!

Lavi828

Rough_Rock
I can’t wait to see what this forum comes back with! Tiffany prides themselves on standing their products so that’s why it was such a surprise.

Lavi828

Rough_Rock
For what it’s worth, the UV/LED pen lights are so interesting and enlightening! If you have anything with melee, it’s easy to see which stones fluoresce and which ones are inert, some may even fluoresce different colors when exposed.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all! What a fantastic forum, it has been great to get the support like this. I ended up going with one from Brilliant Earth, and while it’s not a Tiffany product I was able to upgrade the specs and size for less money. The stone is a beauty!

Pics?? Is it also an emerald cut? I'd love to see it!

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
Glad you got your money back. BE terrifies me though - their customer service leaves a lot to be desired, especially once you are past the 30 day refund policy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results