shape
carat
color
clarity

Question for lovers of lower colored diamonds.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
The stone in my avitar is a "P". I love the color, it's a light golden straw color in indoor light.

I'm wondering, are all "P" color stones about the same color? Or can they have more grey or brown undertones and still be considered the same color grade?

Thanks.

---

P.S. It's Finally out to get set. A custom design from GOG.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 5:36:11 AM
Author:sonomacounty

I''m wondering, are all ''P'' color stones about the same color? Or can they have more grey or brown undertones and still be considered the same color grade?

They sure can have different color "modifiers" if you will. I''ve seen lower colored stones that were a lovely buttercup yellow...and many that weren''t so lovely looking with brown or gray modifiers. Yuck.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Neat ! !

soycoffee

Shiny_Rock
I love more yellow colors. There are good P''s, and not as good P''s, and so on with any color grade. YOu really just have to see it in person, I think, and it helps to compare 2 of the same color grade against a color kit for reference.
2.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The color grade is the amount of the color in the diamond, it can be any color actually. Some colors are wonderful, some are less so, but most of them look wonderful if the diamond is properly cut.

Wink

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI everyone!
Like my esteemed colleague Wink, I love diamonds of all colors.
Actually the correct ( GIA) terminology would be "O-P" color, as GIA''s color grades are split starting at O-P- the next lighter color is "N", the next lower color is "Q-R"

The stone in the photo was graded O-P color by GIA.
The diamond has a lot of fluorescence, which is why it looks almost colorless in this photo.
I''ll post one taken in lights which have much less UV range, and you''ll see the yellow a lot better.
In general, most O-P diamonds will have yellow.
If the tint was pink, GIA would not use the letter scale- such a diamond might be a "Faint Pink"

If it was brown, GIA would also include that distinction to the color grade.

r1956b.JPG

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
AS promised- same O-P colored fluorescent diamond shot under lights containing little UV- allowing the yellow color to be seen.

r1956e.JPG

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks all. And thanks famous-expert-type people.

Soy, I'm not looking for another one. (Eeeks ! - I've spent too much money on this hobby of mine, already.) I was just wondering if all "P"s would be a similar color.

Rock, I think I've seen that one on your site, no? Thanks for your answer & photo. Way cool stone, btw. I love browsing at Diamonds by Lauren, as I can appreciate alternative-type diamonds.

Thanks Wink !

rainierinspring

Rough_Rock
Trade
Just wondering.....I have never seen a "p" colored stone. Has anyone seen a very well cut chunky cushion in this color? I was wondering if it would look good in a halo with very high color diamonds surrounding it. Maybe more affordable in the larger sizes?
31.gif
Maybe the contrast would be beautiful...
20.gif

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
rainierinspring- as I wrote above, there is no color grade called "P"- GIA combines the letters in these grade- so it would be an O-P.
It's important because how someone describes a grade gives us some clues as to if they are accurate in the description.

The stone in the photo was graded "M" by EGL- which we know is not all that accurate. Plus this particular diamond has an almost purple tint- unusual in that.....
In this particular case, I agree with the grade.

Still- I like the look with the white diamonds around it.

r2823a.jpg

rainierinspring

Rough_Rock
Trade
David--Thanks for the info. That is a pretty ring... does it have much brilliance? How large is the center stone?
face1.gif

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you!
The center stone is 3.05cts. It''s a Daussi Cushion- which are generally large faceted stones on the bottom- so in some ways it''s almost like a step cut.
I would not call what the diamond has "brilliance"- rather it''s got a lot of glitter.
Totally different than a round brilliant, more like an emerald cut.
I don''t go by EGL much- but the measurements are generally accurate.
Here''s their call:
WEIGHT: 3.05ct
SHAPE: Cushion Cut
COLOR: M
CLARITY: SI1
MEASUREMENTS: 11.65 x 8.24 x 3.49 mm
TOTAL DEPTH: 42.4%
TABLE SIZE: 64%
POLISH: VG
SYMMETRY: G
FLUORESCENCE: STRONG BLUE
EGL-USA REPORT #: US51080013D

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results