shape
carat
color
clarity

Question for eternity band owners, am I being too picky?

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
(Sorry this post is super long, I tried to make this as short as possible while still giving relevant info..)

I need some advice on if my expectations are too high...

Here's some pertinent info about me:
I am very particular (my friends would say finicky) in liking my things (my home, cars, clothing, jewelry etc) to be in as close to perfect condition as possible and I also like high quality things (not necessarily costly things but most of the time you do get what you pay for). For whatever reason it really bugs me when something is in less than perfect condition- to the point where I won't like it anymore. For example, I have a pair pretty expensive boots that I won't wear anymore because I scuffed the toe on one of them.

Onto my question:
Based on seeing lovely 5 stone rings here and other positive reviews from PS members I decided to get a 2ctw 5 stone band from ID Jewelry.
I received the ring a couple of months ago or so and it was lovely. The diamonds were well cut, white, bright and sparkly and the craftsmanship of the band was quite good. There was only one thing that sort of bugged me about the ring-- there was a small gouge in the gold of one of the baskets (about 2-3mm long). Since I was planning on upgrading the ring within the next year (since they have a 100% upgrade policy on 5 stone rings/eternity bands) I decided not to care about this little flaw or get it repaired/polished. After having the ring for a couple days I decided I really didn't like the look of a 5 stone on my finger so shipped it back and upgraded shortly after to a full eternity band with 30 pointers.

When I received the eternity band with 30 pointers immediately I noticed that on most of the diamonds the basket was showing around the diamonds- almost giving the look of a thin bezel on some of the diamonds. It was pretty clear that the stones were too small for the size baskets. I can't comment on anything else on this ring really because I didn't look at it further after noticing the baskets being too large. I contacted Luann (my SA) and told her about it and she said they would fix it.

I decided since I was sending it back to just upgrade to 40 pointers now and be done with upgrading this ring. So I paid to ship the ring back and get a new one with larger stones. I also asked Luann to please check the ring to make sure it was perfect this time before it shipped. She told me she'd make sure it was perfect and emailed me before they sent it and said it was beautiful.

I just received the eternity band with 40 pointers and I'm pretty bummed. :(( There are 13 diamonds and I ordered (and paid for) 14 diamonds. Some of the diamonds are not eye clean (actual black carbon dots very easy to see) and I was told they would all be eye clean SI1. There are gaps between a lot of the stones (up to over a mm) where others are almost touching. Plus the gaps between some of the diamonds make it look like a dark spot in the ring when I look at it. A couple of the prongs are squished looking and the prongs aren't all uniform in spacing (north-south), that is, some are close together and some are spread apart. One stone appears to be quite smaller than the rest and some of the stones are set higher or lower than the others next to them which makes it look sorta "wobbly".

The only things I could capture (poorly at that) with my camera are the uneven prongs and gaps between the diamonds.

I spoke to Luann again and she told me to send it back and they would fix what I didn't like. She also said they used only 13 diamonds because I requested the ring to sit low. She was pleasant and willing to handle it so that I was happy with the ring. But my concern is will it be "fixed" to my standards? Or are my standards (the opposite of the things on this ring I didn't like: even and un-smashed prongs, matching diamonds, no carbon spots when I'm told it will be eye clean, diamonds set in a straight line etc) unreasonable? If so, an eternity band just isn't for me because I cannot see past these "flaws". (Also, I don't expect it to look like a Leon where it'd probably be perfect even magnified 40Xs lol.)

I'm just not sure if I should try to have it fixed and hope it comes back without those flaws or scrap this project because what I want isn't possible at least not through this bench. Of course I don't want to just drop these guys because their service has been pretty good and I don't like "wasting" anyones time (even asking for a quote on a piece I don't end up getting makes me feel super bad), but on the other hand what if it comes back "repaired" but with more or the same problems? :(sad

prongs space between2.JPG

space2.JPG

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
ps any advice is welcome =) -- I only asked this Q specifically to eternity band owners because maybe these things are common in eternity bands..

TIA!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
No you are NOT being too picky. I would send it back and buy from www.thefacetscollection.com That's where I bought mine, I have one that is 3.38 TCW about 18 pointers, and it's awesome.. No gaps, stones are fine makes, no inclusions... E-f VVs.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Kaleigh said:
No you are NOT being too picky. I would send it back and buy from www.thefacetscollection.com That's where I bought mine, I have one that is 3.38 TCW about 18 pointers, and it's awesome.. No gaps, stones are fine makes, no inclusions... E-f VVs.

Thanks Kaleigh :) I was starting to feel bad like I was being too demanding. Especially since everyone I've shown the ring to (my sister, friends) can't really notice what I'm complaining about- they all just think it's beautiful. But it bothers me so much.

I considered returning it for a refund and going with another vendor but I feel so bad doing that as this is the 3rd ring they've made for me. Granted only the 1st one was a good product but still, they spent time working with me and time making the rings.. I just feel torn on doing that because I don't want them to be ripped off you know?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hear you, here comes the BUT.. It's not up to snuff. It bothers you, as it would bother me.. I am a stickler like you. They failed to deliver what they said they would... You see the carbon spots...

You could try giving this another shot, but if it were me I would send it back and move on...

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Kaleigh said:
I hear you, here comes the BUT.. It's not up to snuff. It bothers you, as it would bother me.. I am a stickler like you. They failed to deliver what they said they would... You see the carbon spots...

You could try giving this another shot, but if it were me I would send it back and move on...

I would give the same advice I'm sure, to someone in my shoes. I just feel *so* bad doing that. I even mentioned to my husband letting them keep the ring and just keeping the money on account for some future project I felt so guilty. He said no way- he thinks I should get what was promised or a refund.

So, I guess my question is answered- these things I perceive as flaws in this ring aren't normal, or don't have to be anyways. Now I just have to decide if I should try to get it fixed or not. :sick:

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
Wow. I can see exactly what you're talking about with the unevenly spaced prongs and the differing distances between stones. I would be very unhappy with this alone, but carbon spots, too?!

I don't think you're being too picky at ALL. I think you've given them ample chances to make this ring correctly and they haven't done so. I'd return it and get my money back.

I have my first project in the works with them (a sapphire/diamond eternity band) and now I'm really, really nervous that it's not going to look good.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
NOT too picky. I would not be happy with that.

Do NOT fix it. Do NOT feel bad about returning it. Suck up the discomfort you feel and get your refund. This is a financial transaction and they have been given three chances and blew it. So time to start fresh. You do not have to feel guitly about requiring that things are done right and well.

And if it makes you feel better, the store will keep the diamonds and use them again in another ring. Hck, they will probably sell THAT ring to someone else.

ETA:
And I replied before reading who the vendor was because I wanted to be impartial, but will add here that ID does have a good reputation and if you opt to let them fix it, they might be able to, but their prices are very low for a reason. Nothing wrong with that, for many people it is a great deal for good quality. But you might not be an ideal customer for the goods they sell! You will pay a lot more for "perfect" workmanship most likely.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
blueiris said:
Wow. I can see exactly what you're talking about with the unevenly spaced prongs and the differing distances between stones. I would be very unhappy with this alone, but carbon spots, too?!

I don't think you're being too picky at ALL. I think you've given them ample chances to make this ring correctly and they haven't done so. I'd return it and get my money back.

I have my first project in the works with them (a sapphire/diamond eternity band) and now I'm really, really nervous that it's not going to look good.

I was hesitant to name the vendor because I don't want anyone to not go through them or be nervous about getting a band through them- because I have seen really pretty rings that they've made (not in person but some good pics here). Bliss' 5 stone is one and there are a few sapphire & diamond bands that I've seen on here from them that look well made too. Even the 5 stone I had made was really nice. That's why I went through them and why I'm so bummed that this ring isn't up to par (by my expectations anyways). So maybe this is just an isolated a case of bad luck.. Everyone has bad days and messes up sometimes.

I do have to say that, so far, they have been very willing to work with me on fixing what I don't like.

My only hesitancy is if I do send it in to get fixed, I'm not sure it will come back "perfect". I'm thinking of speaking with the owner and going over all of my concers and getting an agreement to try one more time to make the ring I ordered (eye clean stones etc) but if it comes back with more issues then I'll get a refund.

AnneinGA

Shiny_Rock
LALove, I am sorry that you are going through this. I too would send it back without a second thought. This is not just a matter of a little scuff or not, this is obvious prong and space issues.

How did they handle the price issue of 13 diamonds instead of 14? Seems to me if you paid for diamonds and not carat weight, they owe you some $$ anyway?

Amber204

Rough_Rock
Nope not too picky!
I'd be upset!

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
LALove said:
blueiris said:

I was hesitant to name the vendor because I don't want anyone to not go through them or be nervous about getting a band through them- because I have seen really pretty rings that they've made (not in person but some good pics here). Bliss' 5 stone is one and there are a few sapphire & diamond bands that I've seen on here from them that look well made too. Even the 5 stone I had made was really nice. That's why I went through them and why I'm so bummed that this ring isn't up to par (by my expectations anyways). So maybe this is just an isolated a case of bad luck.. Everyone has bad days and messes up sometimes.

I do have to say that, so far, they have been very willing to work with me on fixing what I don't like.

My only hesitancy is if I do send it in to get fixed, I'm not sure it will come back "perfect". I'm thinking of speaking with the owner and going over all of my concers and getting an agreement to try one more time to make the ring I ordered (eye clean stones etc) but if it comes back with more issues then I'll get a refund.

I am glad that you named the vendor, though I know that is an uncomfortable thing to do. The band I ordered is one I've seen here a few times from I.D. Jewelry, with the baguette-shaped sapphires (or other stones) and little round diamonds between. The photos I've seen have looked good, and the owners of the bands seem to like them really well, so that helped me be more confident in ordering.

You're right, that anyone can have an isolated case of bad luck, but that still doesn't (to me, anyway) excuse sending out something with such poor workmanship. Either no one noticed the poor workmanship, or they noticed it and sent the ring anyway, and either of those scenarios seems less than ideal to me.

I hope it all works out for you one way or the other, and I'm so sorry this happened.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D said:
NOT too picky. I would not be happy with that.

Do NOT fix it. Do NOT feel bad about returning it. Suck up the discomfort you feel and get your refund. This is a financial transaction and they have been given three chances and blew it. So time to start fresh. You do not have to feel guitly about requiring that things are done right and well.

And if it makes you feel better, the store will keep the diamonds and use them again in another ring. Hck, they will probably sell THAT ring to someone else.

ETA:
And I replied before reading who the vendor was because I wanted to be impartial, but will add here that ID does have a good reputation and if you opt to let them fix it, they might be able to, but their prices are very low for a reason. Nothing wrong with that, for many people it is a great deal for good quality. But you might not be an ideal customer for the goods they sell! You will pay a lot more for "perfect" workmanship most likely.

I had to laugh at the first part of your response- you sound just like my DH! LOL I have a hard time doing anything that might make someone upset and I can just see how I may seem from their point of view- a demanding, high maintenance customer that they wish would've never ordered anything! LOL (Of course I don't know this for sure as they've been very willing to try to make it right.) But I agree, I do need to look at this as a financial transaction only.

I also came to the same conclusion as you mentioned in the last paragraph. I know if I had gone through Leon I would be super delighted with the outcome BUT he'd also be double the price I'm sure (at least). I know I only paid for ungraded F/G SI1 (eye clean) stones so I can only expect that level of quality in the diamonds but I just don't agree that the quality of craftsmanship should be less on a simple shared prong band because I didn't purchase VS GIA graded stones. I mean if I doubled what I spent to get better diamonds, only the diamonds should reflect that- not the band, IMHO. And it feels like because I didn't order GIA VS stones and pay $20k then I got less than great craftsmanship on the band. :( This is solely my assumption- because if you pull up pics of Bliss' 5 stone, you can see the craftsmanship is quite nice; but she paid for GIA stones...

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
Anne :) said:
LALove, I am sorry that you are going through this. I too would send it back without a second thought. This is not just a matter of a little scuff or not, this is obvious prong and space issues.

How did they handle the price issue of 13 diamonds instead of 14? Seems to me if you paid for diamonds and not carat weight, they owe you some $$ anyway?

She said they can either remake the ring with 14 or refund me for one diamond.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
I have an update. I just got off the phone with Yekutiel (the owner of ID Jewelry). I called at the request of my SA Luann who sent an email to me today asking me to give him a call because he wanted to personally go over my ring with me instead of getting the info second hand as he was told I wasn't happy.

I was a bit hesitant to call him because I figured he'd be annoyed at my pickiness etc. Well, we spent about 30 minutes on the phone and he has to be one of the nicest people I've ever spoken to. He started off by asking me what I was not happy with and I explained everything. He listened and was genuinely concerned with making me happy with my purchase.

He told me that I could either get a full refund or he could make me an entirely new ring, making sure all the diamonds are eye clean, the prongs are uniform etc.

We did talk about the fact that I did not purchase a hand made ring with hand picked GIA certified diamonds which I know would cost about double/triple what I paid. I get this point as that is the exact reason I didn't have Leon's bench hand make my ring- I did not want to spend $20k+ on this ring. Yekutiel was more than willing to hand make the band but I didn't even ask a price because I don't want to spend more.

I told him I don't expect H&A diamonds or GIA graded VVS1 clarity when I didn't pay for them etc but that I want this ring to meet my expectations of uniformity in appearance and eye clean stones and if my expectations are too high for what I paid then it's fine and I'd just put off this project for now and use the money for my solitaire upgrade. :naughty: He said that if I wanted the ring remade, he would do his best to make the ring to my expectations.

The fact that he was sooooooooo willing to correct the issues with the ring or refund my money and seemed genuinely concerned to make me happy makes me feel confident in trying to get this right and in doing business with them in general. He could have easily said "Hey for the quality you want it's gonna cost a lot more so why don't I just give you your money back," and brushed me off but he was much more interested in providing good customer service & keeping the jeweler/client business relationship.

Anyways, I told him if the ring could be made to meet my really picky expectations at my budget then I'd like a new ring. He said that was no problem and that he would personally oversee the making of this ring. He also said that if I did not like this next ring that I would get 100% refund.

So I'm shipping out the ring tomorrow and should have the new one pretty soon. I'll post pics etc once I get it.

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
blueiris said:
LALove said:
blueiris said:

I am glad that you named the vendor, though I know that is an uncomfortable thing to do. The band I ordered is one I've seen here a few times from I.D. Jewelry, with the baguette-shaped sapphires (or other stones) and little round diamonds between. The photos I've seen have looked good, and the owners of the bands seem to like them really well, so that helped me be more confident in ordering.

You're right, that anyone can have an isolated case of bad luck, but that still doesn't (to me, anyway) excuse sending out something with such poor workmanship. Either no one noticed the poor workmanship, or they noticed it and sent the ring anyway, and either of those scenarios seems less than ideal to me.

I hope it all works out for you one way or the other, and I'm so sorry this happened.

Thank you, I really think it will work out after speaking to Yekutiel ::) I'm sure your band will come out lovely. :) From the ones I've seen here - they all looked really nice. Like I said before, the 5 stone ring I first ordered for them was gorgeous *and* the price was better than any other vendor quotes I received for the same quality diamonds. So I really think that this was a glitch-- otherwise there wouldn't be the many positive reviews about them here. =)

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
LALove said:
blueiris said:
LALove said:
blueiris said:

LALove said:
Thank you, I really think it will work out after speaking to Yekutiel ::) I'm sure your band will come out lovely. :) From the ones I've seen here - they all looked really nice. Like I said before, the 5 stone ring I first ordered for them was gorgeous *and* the price was better than any other vendor quotes I received for the same quality diamonds. So I really think that this was a glitch-- otherwise there wouldn't be the many positive reviews about them here. =)

I'm really happy to hear about the positive outcome! I too have read such positive reviews about I.D. Jewelry here, and it sounds like Yekutiel really does want to make sure you're pleased this time. I hope you'll post an update with new photos when you get your new ring!

LALove

Brilliant_Rock
blueiris said:
LALove said:
blueiris said:
LALove said:
blueiris said:

LALove said:

I'm really happy to hear about the positive outcome! I too have read such positive reviews about I.D. Jewelry here, and it sounds like Yekutiel really does want to make sure you're pleased this time. I hope you'll post an update with new photos when you get your new ring!

I've never spoken to him before (well one time he answered the phone when I called) and I have to say I was super impressed with the level of customer service and care he showed.

I've dealt with a LOT of jewelers (local brick n mortar shops) and had such bad experiences with poor service and dishonesty so working with ID Jewelry has actually been so refreshing despite the glitches along the way. They are really living up to they're reputation here -- even though the ring isn't what I expected, Yekutiel is willing to do what it takes to make it right. I think that's what counts most as everyone is going to make a mistake once in awhile but it's how they conduct themselves when fixing an issue/error that really shows their true colors. :))

And I will definitely post an update with pics once I get the new ring. :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results