shape
carat
color
clarity

Question for cut experts...what causes...

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
While looking through images of super ideal cut diamonds online, I've noticed a small difference in some diamonds that I would love to have explained to me.

I've circled the area I'm talking about in the image below. In some diamonds, the little triangle shapes around the middle have a divot in their tops, in other diamonds, no divots, the triangles are whole.

What causes this? How does having divots or not having them affect the "flavor" of the diamond? Is it something that is noticeable in person if I was looking for it at close range? Is it something that usually like or dislike?

This diamond has them:

marked up.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-09 at 6.15.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-09 at 6.15.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-09 at 6.15.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-09 at 6.16.21 PM.png

The following diamond does NOT have them:

Screen Shot 2023-05-09 at 6.18.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-09 at 6.18.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-09 at 6.18.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-09 at 6.18.51 PM.png

I would love to hear people's thoughts.

Thanks

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
In this case its the PA angle difference.
It is not a reliable indication of PA however because it changes with CA and larger jumps in table size.
In good looking images/good combos it is insignificant one way or the other.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Btw that was a good question, I had to break out DiamCalc to see which of the differences cased it.
Fun :}

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
@Karl_K Thanks for deep diving for me to find the answer!

Are those little divot-shaped dark areas something I could see with my eyes looking at a diamond in person? For example, might it make the flashes of light coming out appear slightly more splintery?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Karl_K Thanks for deep diving for me to find the answer!

Are those little divot-shaped dark areas something I could see with my eyes looking at a diamond in person? For example, might it make the flashes of light coming out appear slightly more splintery?
On a 300ct diamond maybe.
On a more realistic size diamond, not in any detrimental way.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Karl_K inside DiamCalc what happens where all proportions except CA stays static? Do the areas intensify or dissipate as crown moves up and down from 34.3?

Also if everything except LGF’s stays static, do those mask or change anything? For instance would 76 LGF provide a more pleasing aesthetic than 78 LGF?

I think we are talking nuances here but just more curious to the relationship.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Karl_K inside DiamCalc what happens where all proportions except CA stays static? Do the areas intensify or dissipate as crown moves up and down from 34.3?

Also if everything except LGF’s stays static, do those mask or change anything? For instance would 76 LGF provide a more pleasing aesthetic than 78 LGF?

I think we are talking nuances here but just more curious to the relationship.
I think the term "pleasing aesthetic" overstates any difference.
Until the crown angle gets very steep or shallow it has little effect.
Table size within a small range has little effect until it gets large or small.
LGF% changes the size but not if it exists within the MRB range.
So overall the 2 greatest factors are pavilion angle and star% in the MRB range that determines if it exists.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
nobigdeal-web.jpg
Even blown up its a nothing burger.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Kenny, you sounded like Mara there for a second. Rofl!!!!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
On a 300ct diamond maybe.
On a more realistic size diamond, not in any detrimental way.

Good to know...I'm limiting my wife's next diamond to 299ct.
I don't want any issues.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good to know...I'm limiting my wife's next diamond to 299ct.
I don't want any issues.

Cheapskate! You know damn well you’re so anal retentive there won’t be any “divets” rather it’s 299 or 327. I suffer from the same disease, lol.

Btw, bonus points if you can guess why I chose 327. To give another number and hint, maybe a 426.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Cheapskate! You know damn well you’re so anal retentive there won’t be any “divets” rather it’s 299 or 327. I suffer from the same disease, lol.

Btw, bonus points if you can guess why I chose 327. To give another number and hint, maybe a 426.

Cubic inches. SBC mouse and Mopar Hemi.
(I'm a Mopar guy, myself)

Bought this a few months ago for my wife...2021 Laramie Hemi without that e-Torque mess. It's her daily driver and she LOVES her pickup!

IMG_20230427_182120996_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We can now be friends @DejaWiz, you passed! :lol:

Nice truck btw! I loved my Ram! Bought new in 2014. It had the 5.7 Hemi, 8-speed Mercedes transmission (had same parent company for a bit), 3.92 gears, 4WD Sport. Similar to the Laramie but with painted fascia, bumpers, etc. She’s been gone awhile now but I just talked with a dealer earlier this AM about a Sublime Green Scat Pack 1320 Challenger. Sounds like we may be working a deal. :cool2:

Mopar or no car baby! LOL

Okay back to our normal tuning….

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
We can now be friends @DejaWiz, you passed! :lol:

Nice truck btw! I loved my Ram! Bought new in 2014. It had the 5.7 Hemi, 8-speed Mercedes transmission (had same parent company for a bit), 3.92 gears, 4WD Sport. Similar to the Laramie but with painted fascia, bumpers, etc. She’s been gone awhile now but I just talked with a dealer earlier this AM about a Sublime Green Scat Pack 1320 Challenger. Sounds like we may be working a deal. :cool2:

Mopar or no car baby! LOL

Okay back to our normal tuning….

I had a 2015 Big Horn CC 4x4 EcoDiesel Maximum Steel with the 8 speed ZF, 3.92, and anti-spin...great truck 29-33 MPG highway/interstate, that is before the CARB influenced EPA mandated software updates...20-22 interstate after that so it made no sense to keep it, so we switched over to the gasser with 3.21 anti-spin - we can hit 20-21 highway/interstate.

Hope the 1320 SP works out for you!
MONC!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results