shape
carat
color
clarity
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for an heirloom project

Discussion in 'Colored Stones' started by Owies Nana, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Owies Nana
    Shiny_Rock

by Owies Nana » Jul 14, 2017
    I am considering having a custom pendant commissioned for my MIL's 80th birthday and would like to include the birthstones of all of her children, their spouses, her grandchildren, their spouses and her great-grandchildren. There would be a total of 27 gemstones.

Any suggestions for vendors with whom to discuss this project?

Thanks so much!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  2. MissyBeaucoup
    Shiny_Rock

by MissyBeaucoup » Jul 15, 2017
    There is a list of vendors above, and I'm sure you will get some suggestions from more experienced people. From my limited experience, I'd suggest you check out David Klass on Facebook or Instagram. He does a lot of custom design, and he would be willing to source the stones for you or incorporate stones you might already have in the family. This is a sweet idea! I'm sure your MIL will be thrilled!

3. Burmesedaze
    Brilliant_Rock

by Burmesedaze » Jul 15, 2017
    Way to go and such a brilliant, thoughtful gift. Best of luck in sourcing and making it. She will be thrilled!

4. elle_71125
    Brilliant_Rock

by elle_71125 » Jul 15, 2017
    That's going to be such a great gift!
    I second David Klass. He's great to work with.

5. Owies Nana
    Shiny_Rock

by Owies Nana » Jul 15, 2017
    I will definitely contact him. It's a good beginning.

Are there any other vendors who do this kind of work that other posters have used?

6. normanintheskywithsapphires
    Shiny_Rock

7. normanintheskywithsapphires
    Shiny_Rock

by normanintheskywithsapphires » Jul 17, 2017
    P.S. In any case, for 'heirloom', as in 'value-retaining', I would only use untreated stones.

8. marymm
    Ideal_Rock

by marymm » Jul 17, 2017
    Have you considered working with Sally of Heart of Water (etsy vendor)? Her custom design work is creative and beautiful and finely wrought; and she is responsive to client ideas and input. She is knowledgeable about gemstones, and can obtain any gemstone(s) your project may require. Her business is based in Thailand though I've never had any issues with shipping to/from her.

9. minousbijoux
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by minousbijoux » Jul 17, 2017
    I was going to suggest either Sally of Heart of Water or David Klass.

canuk-gal likes this.
  10. Owies Nana
    Shiny_Rock

by Owies Nana » Jul 19, 2017
    The primary issue is that I don't have much time. I fell on the stairs three weeks ago and mangled my ankle and foot badly. I wish it were broken: it would be much easier to heal than the mess I'm facing trying to work and get things done on one leg.:(:(

The party is a month before her actual birthdate in late October due to the fact that my son, her oldest grandson, is being married the first weekend in November and there are events planned almost every weekend from mid-September until the wedding weekend.

Is it unreasonable to believe I could get this project finished and delivered by mid-September?

11. normanintheskywithsapphires
    Shiny_Rock

by normanintheskywithsapphires » Jul 21, 2017
    I really have only one experience, making a normal custom ring in platinum took 5 weeks plus shipping.
    Collecting 27 different gemstones and designing a setting for it plus getting it done, sounds stressful, to say the least.
    I would draw a picture of the gift and present that as a voucher, and then take a year+ to actually make it.

12. MissyBeaucoup
    Shiny_Rock

by MissyBeaucoup » Jul 21, 2017
    Start by making a list of the birthstones needed. Do you know everyone's birthdays? You may have some extra flexibility with colors. Garnets come in several colors, for example. If you know basically what you want, the ring construction shouldn't take more than two months. Are you using bigger stones for the children, or the same size for all? I think people here would give you some ideas for cluster designs or multiple flowers or rainbows, etc. Do you have a starting concept?

elle_71125 likes this.
  13. Owies Nana
    Shiny_Rock

by Owies Nana » Jul 21, 2017
    I'm thinking a pendant would be a better choice than a ring. I already have a list of birthdates, so I know which stones should be associated with each person. I've seen some tree of life pendants with diamonds in the leaves on the branches and thought it might be cool to have one branch for each child with spouse, grandchildren and great grandchildren.

Thoughts?

14. MissyBeaucoup
    Shiny_Rock

by MissyBeaucoup » Jul 21, 2017
    I think that sounds lovely!

15. pregcurious
    Ideal_Rock

by pregcurious » Jul 23, 2017
    I agree that she would be a good person to work with for this project.

MissyBeaucoup likes this.
  16. Owies Nana
    Shiny_Rock

by Owies Nana » Jul 26, 2017
    I have exchanged emails with David Klass, and will keep you posted on the project.:D

Thank you!

17. MissyBeaucoup
    Shiny_Rock

by MissyBeaucoup » Jul 28, 2017
    Best of luck with your project! I think yours is the sweetest idea ever.

18. Owies Nana
    Shiny_Rock

by Owies Nana » Jul 28, 2017
    Thank you, Missy! I look forward to sharing from concept to completion, with David's permission, of course.

MissyBeaucoup likes this.
  19. Rfisher
    Shiny_Rock