shape
carat
color
clarity

Question for 3+ carat diamond owners ...

camomof4

Rough_Rock
Do you feel like your diamond is too big for comfortable daily wear?

I'm a ring size 4.5 and am considering an OEC in the 3+ carat range. My current ring is a 2 carat cushion in a milgrain halo. I figured I'd be fine wearing the 3+ carat stone as a solitaire with no halo, since the diameter of my current ring is larger than the diameter of the new solitaire would be alone. Then it occurred to me that the new stone will be a good deal deeper and therefore sit higher. (My halo setting is very low profile.) So perhaps they won't be comparable at all.

I have an active lifestyle and little kids. I'm not going to be wearing my diamond to the gym or gardening or hiking or any of that. But I would like to be able to wear it as part of my daily routine without it bugging me or feeling cumbersome or banging on things left and right. So I'd appreciate hearing from those of you with a diamond in the 9mm+ range whether or not you're able to wear your diamond and comfortably go about your daily tasks.

Thanks in advance!

Gem Queen

Brilliant_Rock
Hi. I am a 4.75. I have a 3 ct. I wear it all the time. Of course, I take it off when I get home from work. There are times when, depending on where I am going, I don't wear it. I live in Orange County, so it's not so uncommon to see a big diamond, Rolls Royce, Lamborghini... Whatever you can imagine. I do love it and I change the setting every so often. Right now it's out of the halo, and it looks huge to all my friends. I don't think you'll ever regret getting it, until you see a 6 ct. Lol. Good luck!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 5.34 OEC attracts less attention than my 2.38 in a halo. The second is more blingy the first is big, people probably assume it's not real... I am a 4.75 and I wear the 5.34 when I go out, but not around the house because I smash my hands on everything.

A 3.00 carat can be fine for some people and too big for others, it really depends on what you like and are used to.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Go to a couple of jewelers and try on large diamond rings get the feel for the size its the only way of seeing

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My finger size is bigger than yours, but I wear my 5ct diamond almost all the time. I have 4 kids and my hands are certainly active. There are times when I want a break from it, and I put on a smaller one for a few days.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
I am the lone voice of dissent - I downsized my ring.

Not because it wasn't comfortable to wear, it was, and I really didn't hit it on many things - but the size did not make me happy and I realized I liked a smaller, more elegant and understated setting when I noticed I really was almost never wearing my ring. Bear in mind, I live in New England, which is polar opposite from places like Los Angeles where bigger is better.

I still have the ring and I wear it on special occasions, but I downsized to a 3-stone with a center under 2ct and this thing is still HUGE without being a headlight, you know?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I am very active, but never wore my ring (5 carat center, 6.25 ctw) to the gym or while playing sports. When I started a new job I did not wear my ring for a year--then when I did, I did not appreciate the unwarranted attention it garnered.

I upgraded from a 1.5 MRB to a ring over 6 ctw. While I loved the upgrade, after wearing it for 10 years, I realized it wasn't the ring I wanted going forward. It wasn't my forever ring and therefore sold it in the Spring of this year. In retrospect I should have upgraded to a diamond that was 2-3 carats--as I'd likely have still it now. I think that is my sweet spot, but didn't realize it.

Hope you find your sweet spot!

cheers--Sharon

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me cathedral settings are easier to wear than regular solitaires - something about the abrupt transition from shank to sticky-uppy head makes me feel like I'm catching my hands on things ten thousand times more.

daydreamergrl

Rough_Rock
It depends on a number of factors including what setting you have and also your ring size. I'm a size 6 and a 3ct solitaire is nice size. Not too big and not laughably small. I wouldn't go under 2.5ct as I don't like small things.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have an almost 4ct OEC with size 4.5 fingers. I also have small kids, etc.

I went for a relatively sturdy setting (1.8mm shank, handforged) and knew I'd want to halo or bezel the stone to protect it. In the end, I went with a halo.

I wear the ring regularly to work, out, at home etc (but never during manual labor), and it's holding up well. I have whacked it a few times (on desks, doors, etc) too.

IMO, it's important to have something you will love. You will be the one wearing it. lol

Hope this helps,

Anne

Wendylynne

Shiny_Rock
I have an oval over 3cts. I have it set in a halo.. with pave down shanks of my ring. I find that my setting is more problematic than the size of my diamond. I wore a solitare with channel set princess for 15 yrs without ever taking it off or thinking about it. If you want to wear it all the time.. don't do pave.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
anne_h|1444688650|3937615 said:
I have an almost 4ct OEC with size 4.5 fingers. I also have small kids, etc.

I went for a relatively sturdy setting (1.8mm shank, handforged)
and knew I'd want to halo or bezel the stone to protect it. In the end, I went with a halo.

I wear the ring regularly to work, out, at home etc (but never during manual labor), and it's holding up well. I have whacked it a few times (on desks, doors, etc) too.

IMO, it's important to have something you will love. You will be the one wearing it. lol

Hope this helps,

Anne

I think you're definition of sturdy and mine differ, as I would think that's a delicate setting

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results