shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about wedding band traditions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

roksinmymind

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I was just wondering who is the traditional purchaser of wedding bands- does the groom normally buy both bands? Or does the bride and groom both purchase one to give to the other?

Thanks.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Traditionally Regina (my fiance') tells me it is the mans duty and since I proposed I should be reponsible for both rings. Now I strongly advise against this, but I told Regina that to get rid of a lot of the old stereotypes concerning equality between men and women and the gender barriers she should buck up and pay for my ring if she wants to be treated equally during the marriage, if not all royalties and hard sweat and labor will be credited to me and free to mine as the taking since I am buying both rings..........

What do you think her response was......?

It nearly involved a head full of stitches and a new patch of drywall where the rolling pin ended up! Lol...

Of course I'm kidding, but I think it is all based on personal preference and what the both of you have come to agreement on. Traditionally though I think it was left up to the man...

But again traditionally speaking a lot of things have changed...

-Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
16.gif

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
I'm not sure if there is a tradition or not. My husband wanted to buy both of our rings but I insisted on buying his. It was just something I really wanted to do.

hakalugi

Rough_Rock
not sure about tradition... we are buying each others'.

It gives her something to do beyond just her part of the wedding planning. Not in a derogatory manner, I say that, but a lot of the wedding stuff, except for the photos and memories is ephemeral. The bands are 'forever'. She (and my friends' brides) enjoied having their part in picking the guys' bands.

ahmei

Rough_Rock
Hello

I noticed that for most of the people around me, the couple will both shop and select the wedding bands together. But the man pays the tab.

loopy.gif

redsiren

Rough_Rock
The tradition is that the bride buys the groom's band, while the groom buys the bride's wedding band.

Still, many couples I know pick out their rings together and purchase them together. This actually makes the most sense to me--it's a step in unifying your finances.

69gm

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 7/28/2003 1:34:11 AM redsiren wrote:

The tradition is that the bride buys the groom's band, while the groom buys the bride's wedding band.

Still, many couples I know pick out their rings together and purchase them together. This actually makes the most sense to me--it's a step in unifying your finances.
----------------

according to a wedding planning magazine i read, redsiren is right about who buys what.

and i also agree on couples who buy things together. they can share in the process as well get somewhat matching bands.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I always heard that the woman buys the man's and vice versa. I bought my DH's, but purely because I had been the one communicating with the jeweler. We chose both my set and his together, and we had combined finances by then.

jpdoane

Rough_Rock
What does it matter if youre getting married, anyway?
Assuming you're not keeping you're finances seperate (which I suppose
some couples do, but I find ridiculous) it really doesn't matter who
pays the bill, does it?

-Jon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results