shape
carat
color
clarity

question about vintage watches

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
My mother has a GORGEOUS vintage watch. Rose gold with Citrines and diamonds. I adore it, and asked her if I could wear it for our "wedding". She said of course, but it doesn''t work. I asked if it needed a new battery....blonde moment!

So, is it difficult to get these fixed? How does that typically work? It''s in great shape otherwise, and even if it never worked again is a fantastic piece (I know, I know, I need to get pics!).

Anyone know much about repair on these beauties?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
You need to find a watch repair person, someone who knows how to repair clockwork (not quartz) watches. It''s a delicate instrument and there''s no way to know what''s wrong with it unless someone who knows what they''re doing looks at it.

It''s a dying skill. Try searching your local phone book for watch repair.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Thank Glitterata! I will check in to that.

Sugardiamonds

Rough_Rock
Many watchmakers can put an inexpensive quartz movement as long as it fits the dimensions of the case.

It can run from 40-100 bucks. Most are japanese movements.

Good luck!

Sugardiamonds

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/1/2009 4:14:33 PM
Author: Sugardiamonds
Many watchmakers can put an inexpensive quartz movement as long as it fits the dimensions of the case.

It can run from 40-100 bucks. Most are japanese movements.

Good luck!

Sugardiamonds
No offense to Sugardiamonds. to put a quartz movement in a quality manual wind vintage watch has at this moment most watch lovers cringing in disbelief!Go directly to a watch shop(not a jeweler) with a good reputation and ask about cleaning and over haul charges and the time frame.(about 2-4 weeks and $50-$150)the only way i would put in a quartz movement is if the old movement was not repairable or replaceable!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/4/2009 1:13:11 AM
Author: jewelerman

No offense to Sugardiamonds. to put a quartz movement in a quality manual wind vintage watch has at this moment most watch lovers cringing in disbelief!Go directly to a watch shop(not a jeweler) with a good reputation and ask about cleaning and over haul charges and the time frame.(about 2-4 weeks and $50-$150)the only way i would put in a quartz movement is if the old movement was not repairable or replaceable!

Just this week my watch repair person officially gave up, after three tries, on trying to repair a vintage white gold and diamonds watch that I bought on ebay. The movement runs beautifully when it's out of the case, but only when it feels like when in the case. So... given a choice between scrapping the case and putting in a quartz movement... well, I haven't decided yet! Anyhow, I just wanted to say that while I understand the horror, there are times when, as you noted, it may be better to go with the quartz movement option than to lose a beautifully crafted case. If a quartz movement will allow you to once again use a family treasure, well... that may be one of those times.

Good luck!

ETA Hey Jewelerman! Isn't it about time for you to switch to an avatar that gives the rest of us something more interesting to look at???
2.gif

missmarie253

Rough_Rock
It could be that it was just overwound, which is a relatively simple and inexpensive repair. Make sure you go to a trusted repair man because there are shady ones that will tell you there is more wrong with it than there really is and overcharge you significantly. Also, your watch sounds gorgeous, so PLEASE do not allow them to change the movement. Make sure you tell him or her to only use original parts, because it helps preserve the watch and using parts that aren''t original can significatntly affect the value. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results