shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about the cut advisor

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
I am looking at 2 stones on the cut advisor and they rate a 0.6 and a 0.7. I don''t have much experience with round stones but I thought the lower the number the better... is that correct? If it is then these stones have a very nice rating but they both fall just below the two dotted outlines... what does that mean? Thanks in advance for any info!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Candlelite80, no, it is not quite right. There is no reason to split hairs with HCA once you''ve got HCA < 2. You have to use other criteria to make your final selection.

The difference between 0.6 or 0.7 can be within measurement error or diamonds can have some minor differences in characters... There are also other factors to compare which HCA doesn''t account for...

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
Based on the following information why is the first diamond almost $1000 more expensive? I don''t see much of a difference between the 2. Also, that does it mean when it says the girdle is faceted... is that someone I want or want to avoid.

DIAMOND 1

Carat weight: 1.36
Cut: Ideal
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
Depth %: 59.9%
Table %: 57%
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Thin to medium, faceted
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 7.20 x 7.22 x 4.32 mm
Crown Angle 33
Pavilion Angle 40.8

PRICE: $9360

DIAMOND 2

Carat weight: 1.33
Cut: Ideal
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
Depth %: 59.5%
Table %: 57%
Symmetry: Very good
Polish: Very good
Girdle: Thin to medium
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Faint
Measurements: 7.18 x 7.23 x 4.29 mm
Crown Angle 33
Pavilion Angle 40.8
PRICE: $8460

Thanks for any insight you have!
1.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ex/ex vs. vg/vg.

faceted girdle is fine.

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
Does the ex/ex vs. the vg/vg justify the price or is it overkill? Is it worth paying the extra $$$ for it or would you go with the cheaper one?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
need pics to decide. some vg/vg are fine, some aren''t. actually, some ex/ex aren''t, either.

jasper

Shiny_Rock
Candlelite,

A faceted girdle is a good thing -- they are much easier to keep clean than bruted girdles. Fortunately, faceted girdles are standard nowadays. If you call the vendor for stone #2, I would not be surprised if the vendor tells you that stone #2 also has a faceted girdle.

Personally, I would not buy a diamond with a bruted girdle.

-- Jasper

jasper

Shiny_Rock
Candlelite,

Were both diamonds graded by the same lab?

Diamond #2 has faint flourescence. Diamonds with flourescence have a more limited market than diamonds without flourescence, so there might be a small discount for this. Also, as Marty Haske points out at http://www.adamasgem.org/giafluor.html, it is possible that today''s fluorescent diamonds get more lenient color grades from the GIA than comparable non-fluorescent diamonds.

There are many people on this forum that like flourescence.

-- Jasper

jasper

Shiny_Rock
By the way, a fluorescence grade of "None" does not necessarily mean that the diamond does not fluoresce. Instead, it means that the diamond flouresces less than a diamond that is border-line between "None" and "Faint".

So there is a chance that both diamonds fluoresce by about the same amount.

-- Jasper

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/31/2007 3:02:20 PM
Author: jasper
Candlelite,

Diamond #2 has faint flourescence. Diamonds with flourescence have a more limited market than diamonds without flourescence, so there might be a small discount for this. Also, as Marty Haske points out at http://www.adamasgem.org/giafluor.html, it is possible that today''s fluorescent diamonds get more lenient color grades from the GIA than comparable non-fluorescent diamonds.

-- Jasper
Jasper, thanks for that information. They are both GIA diamonds so what you mentioned may come into play.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/31/2007 3:38:03 PM
Author: candlelite80

Date: 3/31/2007 3:02:20 PM
Author: jasper
Candlelite,

-- Jasper
Jasper, thanks for that information. They are both GIA diamonds so what you mentioned may come into play.
I didn''t think GIA used the word "Ideal" . . . the cut grade is rated as Ideal . . . are you getting this info right off the GIA report or is someone else telling you it is "Ideal" ???

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
hikerchick, thanks for catching that mistake! That was actually my fault, when I was typing my post I put Ideal when the GIA actually read Excellent. Sorry about any confusion, I have been looking at so many diamonds all the info is running together in my head! Thanks for pointing that out for me.
1.gif

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/1/2007 12:55:19 PM
Author: candlelite80
hikerchick, thanks for catching that mistake! That was actually my fault, when I was typing my post I put Ideal when the GIA actually read Excellent. Sorry about any confusion, I have been looking at so many diamonds all the info is running together in my head! Thanks for pointing that out for me.
1.gif
Hey, sure . . . I know what it is like to be in the midst of looking at so many options it all runs together. I just didn''t want you to be getting taken for a ride somehow with the use of the "Ideal" word. Just responded to your fluor thread, take a look at the link I posted there.

Have you given up on the princess, BTW?

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
hikerchick, thanks for asking. I haven''t given up completely on princess diamonds, I still think they are beautiful but we went diamond browsing yesterday and I saw many, many beautiful diamonds, princess, round, cushion, etc. and settings so I decided I want to do some more research, look at more pics, and keep my mind open to possibilities. There are just so many beautiful rings and choices out there so although I still love what I originally found I have found some others that I love as well. I will post when we make a decision.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Cool . . . good luck with the search, and do keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results