carat
color
clarity

Question about Princess Cut Diamond + Ring Setting

JustinVu

Rough_Rock
Hi PSer,

Could I please have some comments about this particular e-ring:

1. What size of the centre stone do you think? The finger size is probably 4 to 4.5
2. What do you think of the design in general, would you consider it? any things to be considered ?

13315443_10208354886262269_2157087226533260633_n.jpg 13339673_10208354998385072_7088379603244130728_n.jpg

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought your lady wanted a round?

Um. Well, the design is unique.

It's more the execution that is the issue for me, I think. The carat size on the center stone is really difficult to guess at. Probably a carat or over, less than two.

It is not to my personal taste, I'll be honest.

But it is not my ring. A nice halo like that (but with better execution and proportions) will have to be custom and so would probably cost around 2250-3000 at the least in the kind of quality you would want for an engagement ring. If it were my ring I were designing I'd go with a bezel set center stone. I'd do bright cut pave. And it would be a much more delicate halo.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd probably do a halo like these (ignore the shanks and just focus on the halos and the proportions of the halo to the center).

The first one has rounded corners like the halo above. You'll notice that there is a diamond in each corner.

The second one has no rounded edges, but sharp ones. With no diamond in each corner.

Either way, these would be much closer to what I would do. And then, if the wearer wanted the halos "star set" (turned in that orientation) then, you would ask for that.

I do not like the shank of the setting above though, either. It's too bulky. The whole thing is bulky though.

bezel-set-princess-cut-diamond-engagement-ring-white-gold-halo-design-sb002-p.jpg

princess_halo_edit.jpg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, my 5 cents worth. I think it's too pointy and it's a version of a halo that's interesting but I wouldn't call it elegant. The halo stones seem to be competing with the centre stone and with no shoulders it looks a bit "plonked on the finger" and flat in presentation. That said, if everyone liked the same styles there wouldn't be any variation and that would be boring. I'd guess the princess is closer to 2 carat size than 1 carat.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was thinkimg 1.5 carat princess. Not two on a 4.5.

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's 1.5ct also as it's similar size to my previous ring. I don't like princesses set like that, I prefer more traditional like the ones Gypsy posted. A classic delicate halo would Be beautiful and you can soften it by making the halo a little more cushiony if you don't like the sharp sleek lines. Good luck!!

SeekingClarity

Shiny_Rock
Don't feel qualified to comment on the ring/execution itself, but I thought you had found a specific round stone and even had CAD images done up by DE? I'd be curious to know what prompted the significant departure from your other two threads.

JustinVu

Rough_Rock
Sorry guys, i should've clarified that there has been no change in my game plan. Im stick with round and the Jocelyn design. The e ring is in the making now and i should have it in 3-4 weeks.

This princess cut e-ring belongs to my friend who's recently engaged and all the girls (includin my gf) have been constantly talking about. So i just wanted to see if my thoughts are similar like yours. What i think of it:
- it's too bulky, yes it is interesting but not sleek nor elegant. Definitely wont suit a small asian girl
- star setting (turn princess diamond sideway) is jst a way to utilise the diagonal length and make it appear larger than it actually is.
- yes i was thinking of 1.5 ct too

shaggy1

Shiny_Rock
I don't hate it, but I'd prefer it as a right hand ring. I can't see how a band will fit with it, and sometimes you just want to wear your wedding band and leave the bling of the engagement ring at home.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results