shape
carat
color
clarity

question about pearls and pricing

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Seeing everyone''s gorgeous pearls has me dreaming of them!
30.gif
I''ve always liked them, but never had any other than a pendant and a ring, both gotten from one of those "pick a pearl" stands.
9.gif
Funny thing is, I wear them from time to time and I really like them! I walked into a Mayor''s today and asked to see some pearls. There was a white akoya bracelet with an 18kt gold clasp that I tried on. It was pretty but it cost $2150.
6.gif
Just for the bracelet! She told me they were Birks pearls and of the highest quality, and they were between 7.5 and 8mm. I''ve already seen some that were WAAAAY cheaper online. I was wondering... what will the visual difference be? I know I''d never DREAM of walking into a Mayor''s and buying diamonds. The prices are out of this world, and I''m guessing it''s about the same for pearls.

What should I look for when buying online? I don''t think I''ll be getting anything right this minute, but maybe soon.... The 7.5-8mm ones actually looked a little bulky on me for my tastes, so maybe I''d like 6s or 7s. How do I know what''s the best thing to get for my money? Akoyas or freshwaters? AA, AAA, freshadamas? I''m clueless! Please help!
1.gif
Thanks in advance!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2009 4:24:04 PM
Author:Kelli
Seeing everyone's gorgeous pearls has me dreaming of them!
30.gif
I've always liked them, but never had any other than a pendant and a ring, both gotten from one of those 'pick a pearl' stands.
9.gif
Funny thing is, I wear them from time to time and I really like them! I walked into a Mayor's today and asked to see some pearls. There was a white akoya bracelet with an 18kt gold clasp that I tried on. It was pretty but it cost $2150.
6.gif
Just for the bracelet! She told me they were Birks pearls and of the highest quality, and they were between 7.5 and 8mm. I've already seen some that were WAAAAY cheaper online. I was wondering... what will the visual difference be? I know I'd never DREAM of walking into a Mayor's and buying diamonds. The prices are out of this world, and I'm guessing it's about the same for pearls.

What should I look for when buying online? I don't think I'll be getting anything right this minute, but maybe soon.... The 7.5-8mm ones actually looked a little bulky on me for my tastes, so maybe I'd like 6s or 7s. How do I know what's the best thing to get for my money? Akoyas or freshwaters? AA, AAA, freshadamas? I'm clueless! Please help!
1.gif
Thanks in advance!
Hi Kelli, I really wanted to buy some Mikimotos and hubby told me I could so I thought now would be a good time to buy some. Well I started talking to a friend about pearls since she has pearls herself from Pearl Paradise freshadamas and some akoyas. I think akoyas are beautiful but cost much more and there are some pros and cons to them; here is some good info on the differences in pearls https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pearl-101.109001/ For me I was worried the luster would wear down and I would hit the bead and also the price factor.

I will tell you what i ended up doing; I bought the freshadamas. I was so nervous about my purchase as I wanted gem quality pearls and Freshadamas do fit the bill. I actually wore the bracelet I bought and went into a high end jewelry store and asked to see their Mikimotos which went for a several thousand dollars; I didn't have my loupe but I did compare and I seriously think they are comparable to me.

I think as far as size goes if you are in in your early 30's you want 8 to 9 mm and the older you are the larger the pearls but if you are in your 20's a 7mm to 8 mm is nice. I thought I wanted smaller but I thought about it and I thought I will be wearing these for awhile. I did post some pics of my Freshadamas https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-valentines-pearls.108845/

I seriously couldn't be happier with my purchase and the company I worked with. As far as AA, AAA goes they vary by vendor and you can see more blemishes in the AA than the AAA's.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I did see your thread Skippy! They''re beautiful! I somehow missed that they are freshadamas. That''s really great to know, considering you thought they compared well with the Mikimotos. I think in that case I will have to start out with the freshadamas as well.
36.gif
As far as size goes, I''m turning 28 in a couple months so I''m not sure. I wonder if it''s like diamonds, that they seem too big at first and then pretty soon you "need" bigger ones?
31.gif
I embarrassaingly have fake ones from Claire''s that I bought to go with a very specific outfit once and I like the smaller strands better on me. Maybe I''ll wear those a bit more and pretend they''re real before I decide!
3.gif

Thank you for your help!
1.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2009 5:31:41 PM
Author: Kelli
I did see your thread Skippy! They're beautiful! I somehow missed that they are freshadamas. That's really great to know, considering you thought they compared well with the Mikimotos. I think in that case I will have to start out with the freshadamas as well.
36.gif
As far as size goes, I'm turning 28 in a couple months so I'm not sure. I wonder if it's like diamonds, that they seem too big at first and then pretty soon you 'need' bigger ones?
31.gif
I embarrassaingly have fake ones from Claire's that I bought to go with a very specific outfit once and I like the smaller strands better on me. Maybe I'll wear those a bit more and pretend they're real before I decide!
3.gif

Thank you for your help!
1.gif
Coatimundi and a few others on PS have Freshadamas, just an fyi; I think go with what you like best but mine have such a gorgeous orient that to me they are just as gorgeous as Mikis!!! I really am over the moon with my purchase that I bought my mom some pearls for Mother's day too. You got the size thing right!!! hehe sure glad I could help. Maybe others will chime in but I do want to say I am very excited for you
9.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Skippy! I feel that they must be pretty nice if pricescopers like them. We tend to be picky!

What a nice gift for your mom.
1.gif
She''ll be so thrilled!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
7-8mm is the classic size, especially for an 18" strand. This is the size I prefer in all lengths except I''d probably go with at least 8-9mm+ for a 16" strand.

I was also shopping for Mikimoto when I discovered Freshadama''s. I think I''ll probably never buy anything other than Freshadama from here on out. Paying for Miki is much like paying for Hearts on Fire...you can get excellent quality for so much less $$$.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your input diamondseeker.
1.gif
I''m actually thinking of just getting a bracelet first. I just got my half carat diamond pendant, so I''m not really feeling the need for a new necklace yet. I was thinking a bracelet would be a nice "first purchase" as far as pearls go, and it''s cheaper and I''d get to stare at it all day.
9.gif
I have small wrists for my height and always liked the look of bracelets on me, but I''ve never had a nice one.

Anyone have pearl bracelets? What size pearls?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results