shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about oec melee

muesli

Shiny_Rock
Hi!

So I'm looking for a wedding band (half-eternity) and I'm talking to David Klass :).

The ring will look something like this but in platinum:

20210119_133235.jpg

I would love to have vintage oecs for melee and David said that they would probably be in I - J colour. He said that he will see if he can source some in G, as that is the colour grade of the stone in my e-ring.

Would it look weird with I - J coloured melee? I have no experience at all when it comes to vintage stones, all I know is that I really love the idea of having some in my wedding band (history nerd and hopeless romantic :D).
Here is my e-ring:

20200326_144213.jpg

What do you think?

Thank you for reading and I wish you a great day!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since the melee are much smaller it will look different than your AVR so it probably would be OK if he sourced I/J but to be on the safe side why not get lab created melee (if they are doing that) to more closely match your center stone?

I think you would be OK with true vintage OEC melee but it really is personal preference. Since your center stone is optically perfect maybe consider getting optically perfect melee too if it can be made. The true vintage melee that David might be able to source would not be precision cut and might that bother you next to your precision cut stone?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What mm are you thinking about for OEC melee?
Have you thought about single cuts? Don’t know if that would be any easier to find in a higher color though.
not that it should matter, but at that small of a size would it be that noticeable, at arms length, if it were OEC vs full cut? I had some 1.5/1.8 oec once, and unless under a loupe.......
Single cuts would definitely be noticeably different, IMO.

good point about them next to your precision cut, though.
I get the romantic idea of them being there. :)

Last edited:

muesli

Shiny_Rock
Since the melee are much smaller it will look different than your AVR so it probably would be OK if he sourced I/J but to be on the safe side why not get lab created melee (if they are doing that) to more closely match your center stone?

I think you would be OK with true vintage OEC melee but it really is personal preference. Since your center stone is optically perfect maybe consider getting optically perfect melee too if it can be made. The true vintage melee that David might be able to source would not be precision cut and might that bother you next to your precision cut stone?

Thank you :) !

I see what you mean, I don't think it will bother me that much as I'm after a charming and romantic feeling (but I might be foolish?)
It is not easy :D.

The thing that makes me hesitate is the colour difference between the diamonds.

Have you thought about single cuts? Don’t know if that would be any easier to find in a higher color though.
not that it should matter, but at that small of a size would it be that noticeable, at arms length, if it were OEC vs full cut? I had some 1.5/1.8 oec once, and unless under a loupe.......

Thank you :)!

They are 2 mm.

Single cuts look very nice! So romantic!

Yes I don't know why but I think it would be lovely to have vintage stones in my wedding band.
It is not set in stone though (hehe ;-) ), I can change my mind if it's too much of a hassle.

If I ever upgrade my e-ring I will probably go for a vintage oec :D.

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
Is your stone an AVR? I had a three stone AVR with an I center and 10 pointer I/J sidestones that I noticed and didnt love the tint of. I upgraded to an F AVC with 20 pointer G/H sidestones. I can definitely see a significant difference between the two sets of small stones (I kept the first sidestones as earrings) and would not want there to be that contrast between my G and my band. But I'm color sensitive, apparently intolerant at the I/J level, and like things to match.

I agree that single cuts might be another option, but I don't know hard hard those are to find in higher colors either.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I prefer single cut melee with old cut stones. It comes down to personal preference.

From VC
“single cut melee usually present a more subdued sparkle that reflect larger, distinctive flashes of light through their less numerous and larger 17 facets. This is in comparison to full cut melee’s 57 facets which present a more “fiery” appearance that reflect smaller, more splintery reflections of light and color. The difference is akin to comparing an Old European Cut to a Modern Round Brilliant diamond in a smaller scale.”

muesli

Shiny_Rock
Is your stone an AVR? I had a three stone AVR with an I center and 10 pointer I/J sidestones that I noticed and didnt love the tint of. I upgraded to an F AVC with 20 pointer G/H sidestones. I can definitely see a significant difference between the two sets of small stones (I kept the first sidestones as earrings) and would not want there to be that contrast between my G and my band. But I'm color sensitive, apparently intolerant at the I/J level, and like things to match.

I agree that single cuts might be another option, but I don't know hard hard those are to find in higher colors either.

Personally I prefer single cut melee with old cut stones. It comes down to personal preference.

From VC
“single cut melee usually present a more subdued sparkle that reflect larger, distinctive flashes of light through their less numerous and larger 17 facets. This is in comparison to full cut melee’s 57 facets which present a more “fiery” appearance that reflect smaller, more splintery reflections of light and color. The difference is akin to comparing an Old European Cut to a Modern Round Brilliant diamond in a smaller scale.”

Thank you! I really appreciate your input :).

Perhaps I should write to DK and ask about single cuts? :D

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi!

So I'm looking for a wedding band (half-eternity) and I'm talking to David Klass :).

The ring will look something like this but in platinum:

20210119_133235.jpg

I would love to have vintage oecs for melee and David said that they would probably be in I - J colour. He said that he will see if he can source some in G, as that is the colour grade of the stone in my e-ring.

Would it look weird with I - J coloured melee? I have no experience at all when it comes to vintage stones, all I know is that I really love the idea of having some in my wedding band (history nerd and hopeless romantic :D).
Here is my e-ring:

20200326_144213.jpg

What do you think?

Thank you for reading and I wish you a great day!

I would personally try to source the F/G colored OEC cut stones to match your diamond.

I think that OEC’s will look more formal and romantic, in a “wedding ring style” setting.

From what I’m seeing in antique settings, Single Cuts were used for melee, and not used as the centerpiece of a ring.

But as others have stated, the OECs will not be as obviously flashy and sparkly. They will have fine detail. If your eyes can see them, they will look more “at home” in a finely detailed antique style ring. This is totally my opinion.

Single Cuts have a lot of glitter to them. My tiny OECs are definitely more subtle (almost ho hum) compared the Single Cuts I have which are decorative melee. My decorative single cuts are crazy glittery with a lot of fire. My tiny OECs are not so obviously firey, and not as lively. However, under a loupe they look romantic and it’s cool that they are what they are.

I almost wonder if you should try to find an incredible ring that is antique, that already has the OECs. I’ve seen them out there.

Last edited:

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock

Super silly question.. but what are single cuts?

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The other thing I’ve seen is more Transitional Style tiny stones, that might have more flash to them. Specifically, OECs are one of the older of the tiny diamond styles (my ring with OEC melee has “1913” engraved into the shank), and to my eye they don’t seem to have much liveliness. But I wonder if there are other cut styles out there, for example those diamonds found in later rings from the 1920s-1930s.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found single cuts matched my OEC face ring really well and I believe they’d be easier to find than OEC melee.
I was also wondering, given the well known property of OECs to face up whiter than their actual body colour, would that apply in lower colour melee especially given they’d be bead set into a band and not visible from the side?

muesli

Shiny_Rock
I would personally try to source the F/G colored OEC cut stones to match your diamond.

I think that OEC’s will look more formal and romantic, in a “wedding ring style” setting.

From what I’m seeing in antique settings, Single Cuts were used for melee, and not used as the centerpiece of a ring.

But as others have stated, the OECs will not be as obviously flashy and sparkly. They will have fine detail. If your eyes can see them, they will look more “at home” in a finely detailed antique style ring. This is totally my opinion.

Single Cuts have a lot of glitter to them. My tiny OECs are definitely more subtle (almost ho hum) compared the Single Cuts I have which are decorative melee. My decorative single cuts are crazy glittery with a lot of fire. My tiny OECs are not so obviously firey, and not as lively. However, under a loupe they look romantic and it’s cool that they are what they are.

I almost wonder if you should try to find an incredible ring that is antique, that already has the OECs. I’ve seen them out there.

The other thing I’ve seen is more Transitional Style tiny stones, that might have more flash to them. Specifically, OECs are one of the older of the tiny diamond styles (my ring with OEC melee has “1913” engraved into the shank), and to my eye they don’t seem to have much liveliness. But I wonder if there are other cut styles out there, for example those diamonds found in later rings from the 1920s-1930s.

Thank you so much for your answer!

I would love to own an antique ring but I'm definitely too inexperienced to know what to look for, unfortunately.

This is so hard hahaha! I think I'll write to David and ask for his opinion :).

muesli

Shiny_Rock
Comparison of single cuts to full cuts copied from an old @Serg post
EFDA54E4-008B-4258-976D-121CCA49435A.jpeg
single cuts are in my eternity in avatar.

I wish this photo was clearer.
Top single cuts
Middle full cuts
Bottom oec
21692D16-383C-4FE1-B1A9-85B9B8EA7767.jpeg

RFisher, your ring is gorgeous and super lively!

Muesli, can you see from what RFisher posted why Single Cuts are so glittery and flashy? They have bigger facets.

Yes they are stunning! You are completely right (and @missy ofcourse) that they'll complement the AVR nicely.

That band with milgrain is what I'm aiming for :D.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I went on a single cut band shopping spree last month. These are both single cut bands, platinum from the 20s. I love how they are almost set into the band so you see no prongs. .The diamonds on the ring are full cut but the singles are plenty sparkly. And they just go with everything. 20210120_112719.jpg 20201231_163612.jpg

muesli

Shiny_Rock
I haven't heard back yet, perhaps he grew tired of my questions:( but we'll see.

When I was searching for single cut diamonds I found this band that I find gorgeous:

20210127_180556.jpg 20210127_180639.jpg 20210127_180621.jpg

It can be made as a half-eternity, what do you think?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the design is lovely.
Don’t have a half eternity, myself, to know how to size it correctly as to not spin, if that would annoy, as it being 1/2 eternity.
But looking at the hand model shot -don’t know if the abstract design is enough abstract to not look as a intended design, but an accidental warp of some sort? I’d need to see in person /naked eye and have it returnable, just in case.

whats good about it being newly made - you don’t have the worry of questioning if it really does need to be rehabbed for wearing, as a period piece might.

muesli

Shiny_Rock
I think the design is lovely.
Don’t have a half eternity, myself, to know how to size it correctly as to not spin, if that would annoy, as it being 1/2 eternity.
But looking at the hand model shot -don’t know if the abstract design is enough abstract to not look as a intended design, but an accidental warp of some sort? I’d need to see in person /naked eye and have it returnable, just in case.

whats good about it being newly made - you don’t have the worry of questioning if it really does need to be rehabbed for wearing, as a period piece might.

Thank you for your answer :D.

I see what you mean, here is another picture:

20210127_212229.jpg

It looks romantic for sure.

muesli

Shiny_Rock
Update!

DK answered that he can find the OEC's in higher colour and think that I'll like the performance of the OEC's better than single cuts.

This is soooo hard :D.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update!

DK answered that he can find the OEC's in higher colour and think that I'll like the performance of the OEC's better than single cuts.

This is soooo hard :D.

I think you have your answer then, woohoo! If DK is saying to go with the OEC melee that is what I would do. Good luck and cannot wait to see your band. :love:

I'm all about the "simple but with a unique twist/detail) so I love this band! I say go for the OECs since that's what you wanted initially.

The full vs half eternity is a tougher decision though. Is cost a big concern for you? How tough are you with your rings? If the band spins and you see metal, will that bother you much?

Personally, my w-band is a half-eternity and I'm totally happy with it (...except I sometimes do wish I had sprung for higher quality melee, oh well). Plus, my e-ring is a half-eternity so I felt like that would "match" a bit better.

dmack

Shiny_Rock
Go for it with DK! The band in my avatar is from him, full eternity with engraving and milgrain. Here's the Insta link:

It's so nicely done. I admire the engraving every day (er, every hour?). The milgrain and engraving also make it sparkle more because they break up the light - it just appears to shimmer all the time. Yay for you!

muesli

Shiny_Rock
I think you have your answer then, woohoo! If DK is saying to go with the OEC melee that is what I would do. Good luck and cannot wait to see your band. :love:

Yes!!! It feels great! Thank you for your help and encouragement <3.

I'm all about the "simple but with a unique twist/detail) so I love this band! I say go for the OECs since that's what you wanted initially.

The full vs half eternity is a tougher decision though. Is cost a big concern for you? How tough are you with your rings? If the band spins and you see metal, will that bother you much?

Personally, my w-band is a half-eternity and I'm totally happy with it (...except I sometimes do wish I had sprung for higher quality melee, oh well). Plus, my e-ring is a half-eternity so I felt like that would "match" a bit better.

I want a half-eternity band so that I can engrave and resize it (if needed) :).
If it spins I'll admire the engravings hehe ;-).

Oh I see, I bet it's beautiful, do you have a thread on your rings?

Go for it with DK! The band in my avatar is from him, full eternity with engraving and milgrain. Here's the Insta link:

It's so nicely done. I admire the engraving every day (er, every hour?). The milgrain and engraving also make it sparkle more because they break up the light - it just appears to shimmer all the time. Yay for you!

Oooooh I loooove your ring! I actually sent a screenshot of it to DK, to show him what I was after :D!

Omg your description sounds amazing! I'm getting butterflies in my stomach :D, do you have more photos of it (if you want to share that is)?
TIA:).

dmack

Shiny_Rock
Oooooh I loooove your ring! I actually sent a screenshot of it to DK, to show him what I was after :D!

Omg your description sounds amazing! I'm getting butterflies in my stomach :D, do you have more photos of it (if you want to share that is)?
TIA:).

Sure, I’ll never miss a chance to play photog in the middle of a work day! The band is 2.2mm wide and 1.6mm tall if that helps. You can tell it’s hand engraved because the wheat pattern has ever so slight variation in it. 67E16688-2C17-4700-A3E7-28BFDF6D1497.jpeg

Enjoy my short little fingers!

Attachments

• 30D7452A-BA70-4E14-BE61-F75B5E457070.jpeg
    30D7452A-BA70-4E14-BE61-F75B5E457070.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 33EC9D7F-2BFE-4905-B663-E5922E026CBF.jpeg
    33EC9D7F-2BFE-4905-B663-E5922E026CBF.jpeg
    195.1 KB · Views: 82
  • E48E76D6-FD5D-455F-970E-A573F1F1A126.jpeg
    E48E76D6-FD5D-455F-970E-A573F1F1A126.jpeg
    184.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 1D9E6D28-BAC5-4670-873D-C045BB5A4AB8.jpeg
    1D9E6D28-BAC5-4670-873D-C045BB5A4AB8.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 74

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for single cuts. In stones that small, you would not appreciate the cut of an OEC. I'd use OECs if you were making a band with 10 pointers or higher maybe, but definitely not that small. I'd for sure want well cut, new single cuts. That said, I wear a Tiffany Legacy band with tiny full cuts with my AVR, and that looks fine, too!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, my halo of one of my rings has small OECs cut by Yoram. I think they are 2.6mm. Not sure how many points that is. I think they'd have to be that size really to appreciate the cut. I don't think it's best for the kind of band you are making.

muesli

Shiny_Rock
Sure, I’ll never miss a chance to play photog in the middle of a work day! The band is 2.2mm wide and 1.6mm tall if that helps. You can tell it’s hand engraved because the wheat pattern has ever so slight variation in it. 67E16688-2C17-4700-A3E7-28BFDF6D1497.jpeg

Enjoy my short little fingers!

Absolutely gorgeous!!!
Thank you so much for sharing!

(Your hands and fingers look lovely :) )

Actually, my halo of one of my rings has small OECs cut by Yoram. I think they are 2.6mm. Not sure how many points that is. I think they'd have to be that size really to appreciate the cut. I don't think it's best for the kind of band you are making.

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it for sure.
The band will be 2.8 mm (width), do you know why DK think I'll like the performance of OEC's than that of single cuts?

Thank you once again :).

muesli

Shiny_Rock
Just would like to add that the diamonds will be approximately 2 mm if it helps.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results