shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about my custom-made ring and prongs..Please help!

Natusik87

Rough_Rock
I ordered a ring (2ct in tulip basket solitaire in platinum)after looking at a similar one ( all same but band is a bit thinner) When the ring was ready I came to pick up and when tried to double check GIA number the prongs were covering it, so they took it to the jeweler in the back to rotate the diamond so the number is visible. I don't know much about how diamond is set but after carefully looking at it I can see that the prongs are not all touching the diamond snuggly. It doesn't make a rattling sound when I hit my nail against it but i'm concerned that it's not as secure as should be bc it has been rotated after being set. Also do you guys see the triangle openings under the basket? They are uneven.. I don't know what to do and say to the jeweler.. the shop we got it at is a family owned business and about 2 hrs away from where we live. Am I being picky? Is this ok? I feel like for 35K price point I paid it should be perfect! Help with advise on what to do..Thank you!!
tempImage1tvp7M.jpg tempImageV85aj7.jpg

tempImagenOVClV.jpg

Calla-lilies

Shiny_Rock
Hi. I don’t have any advice - sorry - I’m sure the experts on this site will comment. I just want to say - love love your setting. I’m thinking ab such a setting. Where did you get the setting? Also from the local jeweler?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
As Garry said we need better pictures.
That the seats would not be perfect after rotating the diamond is not unexpected.

Natusik87

Rough_Rock
Here are a few more. I tried to get closer. Can you see a gap between the top prong?
Very last picture the right prong//Middle picture is the triangles you can see uneven...
tempImagenJqKs8.png tempImageaoKjSP.jpg tempImageyySG2P.jpg

Natusik87

Rough_Rock
Hi. I don’t have any advice - sorry - I’m sure the experts on this site will comment. I just want to say - love love your setting. I’m thinking ab such a setting. Where did you get the setting? Also from the local jeweler?

Thank you! This was my dream setting and I was looking for one that I can get a diamond and a setting at one place. I went to PrincessDiamonds in LA

Natusik87

Rough_Rock
As Garry said we need better pictures.
That the seats would not be perfect after rotating the diamond is not unexpected.

posted a few pictures. Thanks! I have an appt this sat with the jeweler but I don't know what to tell them.. redo the setting? fix it? what's the proper way to fix this? Im dissapointed... this was my dream ring and our 12 anniversary upgrade that my husband was saving for...

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Green arrow is that a shadow or a defect?
Red arrow needs some finish work.
Blue arrow, prong is not seated against the stone.
tempImageyySG2P.jpg

Mrs Flowers

Shiny_Rock
I do see what you mean. I have a tulip head solitaire and it DOES NOT look like that. I’d definitely ask for it to be fixed. As you can see in my settings there are no gaps between the diamond and the prongs 0B22DC8C-A8F1-4B80-8351-8ED4FD6D76D7.png 531522FE-3714-4048-9888-58712BB6DF7C.png 0B22DC8C-A8F1-4B80-8351-8ED4FD6D76D7.png

MWM

Rough_Rock
Trade
Green arrow is that a shadow or a defect?
Red arrow needs some finish work.
Blue arrow, prong is not seated against the stone.
tempImageyySG2P.jpg

Prying the finished prongs back to release grip on the diamond so as to rotate the stone will cause this "blue arrow" gap at the girdle. I believe most setters would agree that it is bad medicine to loosen and retiighten a finished prong setting. Finished really needs to mean finished with regard to prong tips - but sometimes it's gotta be done.
Your setter can look into a method called "vector tightening" to bring those gaps at the girdle into line and securely tighten the setting. I have used steel pliers with acetyl (nylon, Delrin) jaw covers to remedy the gaps via vector tightening.
The result, in my hands, has rarely been 100% of my best, to my own eye, after this disruption has been done and undone but in platinum, those gaps can be eliminated.

I use a fine point sharpie to mark the diamond inscription before setting to be sure the inscription is exposed and avoid the whole mess.

I was sitting with a customer one day when I marked the inscription on his, just appraised substantially over expectations, diamond with blue sharpie. He panicked. I told him she'll love the blue accent :)

The truth is that any alcohol, denatured or isopropyl on tissue, paper towel, Q-tip will wash away the marker ink.

Natusik87

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all your comments. Im headed to LA tomorrow to try to have them fix this Is it reasonable for me to ask for a brand new setting? I checked again my ring today and 4 of the prongs are not snug anymore. I took off the ring at this point and afraid to wear it... Im worried that they will tighten the prongs and it will happen again since its not done properly..
I really don't want to fight with them but do want a perfect ring!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would give them a chance to fix it and inspect it very closely before leaving and if its still wrong then I would discuss a remake or refund.

Natusik87

Rough_Rock
So the owner came to our appointment and she was very nice and apologized to us for the bad job done on a ring. She offered to make a new ring and engrave it for free. I will update you guys in 8 weeks or as soon as I get it.

TXwidow

Shiny_Rock
be sure to remind them you want to be able to see the inscription so they don't cover that with a prong again.

Reactions: MWM

Natusik87

Rough_Rock
HI guys.. so I got my ring remade..I like it.. but its not perfect by any means.. The last picture.. can you see a gap ? is this normal? or should I mention something to the jeweler? I hate to be super picky.. but I want it done right.. what do you all think?
tempImageqNkz5C.jpg tempImageYnoOiK.jpg tempImageDYUd8y.jpg tempImage2CjZlB.jpg tempImage7XPzTa.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What gap are you seeing?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you wanting the metal basket/‘petals’ to touch your stones pavilion all the way down?

or are you saying the prong seats don’t exactly match to the shape of your stone pavilion, girdle and crown angles?

Natusik87

Rough_Rock
what i mean by gap is the prongs hugging the diamond crown povilion and gridle. I still see a little gap but maybe that’s normal

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
what i mean by gap is the prongs hugging the diamond crown povilion and gridle. I still see a little gap but maybe that’s normal

Post 11 from this thread:

addresses your question, I think.
ideally they wouldn’t be there - but I think what you are now seeing in this 2nd attempt is unfortunately common and not a safety concern- if indeed the prong tips are snug to your crown and are not snagging.
Snagging and lint catching are separate issues.
From what I understand:
snagging is a concern.
lint catching isn’t.

Can a vendor get better results than what you show?
sure, but I somewhat feel if they were apt to and able to and wanted to - they ideally would have done so in the first place. You‘d think multiple re-dos cost them more long run.
I also don’t know if this can be “fixed” or needs to start with a new prong/new notching out to do so.

Somebody else who has much more experience than I hopefully will chime in to correct me or corroborate.

Natusik87

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your input.I just wanted to make sure its still secure.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results