shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about GIA report for Jade

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
After all the recent postings about jade here, it has spiked my interest. I am smart enough to know what I don't know (which is just about everything) so I was looking for Jade that have reputable reports. I found a lovely lavender jade ring with a GIA report that says "no indication of impregnation". I have also seen reports for green jade that say "NATURAL COLOR. No indication of impregnation". So is it safe to assume the lavender jade has been dyed? Or is that one of the specific questions you have to submit and pay for at GIA (like origin) and hence why it isn't on there? Also, if so, would you gather that it is dyed purple and that's why they didn't request it from the GIA (report was issued in Oct 2018). Thanks for any help.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
*report issued 2018

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
the report from GIA says nothing about color?

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is surprising. If color is not mentioned, I would assume that they did not test for it. If they had, some mention would likely be made. results would be dyed, natural color, or color origin undetermined. I am no expert on GIA reports though...

Maybe it has to do with the type of report that was ordered? In a jade report, as per my experience, the presence of both dye and polymer are tested.

Last edited:

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
That is surprising. If color is not mentioned, I would assume that they did not test for it. If they had, some mention would likely be made. results would be dyed, natural color, or color origin undetermined.

Maybe it has to do with the type of report that was ordered? In a jade report, the presence of both dye and polymer are tested.

Thanks @Bluegemz, that's what I was thinking. As far as value, does dyed jade drastically drop the value like polymer does? The stone is a pretty light lavender color.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Bluegemz, that's what I was thinking. As far as value, does dyed jade drastically drop the value like polymer does? The stone is a pretty light lavender color.
Dyed jade does drop the value considerably, but Is a lot better than polymer. The stone is still strong when it has been dyed. Often they are organic dyes, such as blueberry juice, which has been used for decades. The problem maybe that over time, as with all organic dyes, color can fade. If a dyed piece is very old, it could be faded already.

Polymer changes the value drastically, and worse, the qualities of the stone. The acid bleaching removes the silica between the jadeite crystals. Then these gaps are filled with polymer and covered by wax. Therefore, it becomes more translucent, but more lifeless, and much weaker. Polymer jade is easily breakable, and shows a more dull surface luster with time. Polymer impregnation drastically changes the look of the original stone, so the finished piece is very different looking than the start. The treatment removes stains from the jade, which changes the color to an extent, and, visually changes the look of the grain, greatly enhances translucence.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results