carat
color
clarity

Question About GIA Inscription Symbol

boredstiff

Shiny_Rock
One of the diamonds I am looking at has this inscription:

whatisthisinscription.png

Can anyone tell what it is? A cutting house? Or indicating it is Canadian (as it looks like a Maple leaf)...

simplypink

Rough_Rock
Looks like it stands for Hearts & Arrows? I could be wrong.. ^^

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yap, the maple leaf is Canadian, H&A means Hearts & Arrows, but not necessary hearts and arrows as GIA does not grade if a stone is H&A just noting what was inscribed on the girdle.

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
boredstiff,

The maple leaf indicates the diamond is from Canadian origin. If it's one of our diamonds you can request the Canadian proof of origin documents and we can supply them at no additional charge.

The "H&A" was put on the diamond to signify it has been cut to H&A standards. You'll need detailed pictures to back up that claim, however, as many diamonds inscribed as H&A wouldn't meet the standards commonly described on this board.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

James is correct. Many vendors will inscribe H&A on their diamonds when they may have an arrow or two, but what the heck, who really cares? It can be very frustrating when looking for a diamond and talking with a vendor who does not have reflector technology in house to determine if a diamond really has the Hearts and Arrows pattern he is claiming.

I once had a client bring in five diamonds that he had called in, all of which were supposed to be H&A. As part of my fee for helping him evaluate the diamonds he asked me to talk to all three of the vendors to assure that the stones were indeed H&A. They all kept assuring me that they were, after all they were AGS0 cut grades or GIA triple Ex, so they had to be.

When they arrived, it was as I feared, only one was even close to H&A and it was not what I would call a true H&A. He bought the best of the bad lot, but he still did not get what he really wanted as he was not willing to pay for a true H&A. Sad. (This was all long before I became an Infinity Dealer.)

Wink

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results