shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about Emerald Cuts

Bill101

Rough_Rock
Hello all!

My beautiful girlfriend loves emerald cut diamonds and has said that would be her choice for an engagement ring. Not surprisingly, her tastes are classic and understated.

I have gone back and forth about the ring style and setting. She has tiny hands and fingers (I am guessing her ring size is about 3.5) and she usually just wears a watch and maybe a bracelet and no other rings.

I absolutely love this Evelyn setting but worry that an emerald cut diamond will look a little dull in comparison to all the round sidestones:

http://www.victorcanera.com/jewelry/engagement-rings/the-evelyn-solitaire-with-2ct-emerald-cut

Has this been your experience? I have read that an emerald does not sparkle as much as rounds when viewed in comparison and it is hard to find emerald cuts at brick and mortar stores to get a sense of how this might look. Would I be better off with just plain platinum band and 4 prong setting with the emerald cut? This would allow me to go a little bigger/better with the diamond.

For budgeting-- I am comfortable buying from JA and can afford a 1.70 carat or so G/VS1 which seem to be around the 14k mark. I can stretch my budget to about 18k if the ring is exactly what I am looking for. I am assuming if I wanted to buy the Evelyn setting with a 1.7 carat from Victor Canera it would be substantially higher than my budget would allow. If I bought both the diamond and setting from JA do they have a setting close to the VC setting? I have seen bezel sidestones and other settings but I really do not like their looks. So I have narrowed my choice to either an emerald solitaire in platinum or one with small round sidestones.

So-- to sum up my main question-- does an emerald cut look "good" with small round sidestones or is it better off all alone? I fully understand this is a subjective answer but I am looking for some help and advice.

Thanks everyone!

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Some will post and say brilliant cuts break up the step cut party and prefer step cuts like carre cuts. There's like the sparkle factor that is added by putting an EC with rounds.

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
I love kittybean's Emerald Cut with rounds, and I also adore the simplicity of a EC solitaire with clean lines.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An emerald cut would be magnificent in the Evelyn setting! The contrast between the pave and an EC is perfect! This is one of my favorite rings, and it can show you how beautiful an EC can be in a pave setting, However, definitely put as much as you can into the diamond. I would not make the assumption that Victor sourcing the stone would cost more than any other PS vendor. Plus, since EC's really need to be selected by someone who can assess light return and overall cut, I would think Victor would be particular since he'd be setting the stone in one of his settings. My other choice for an emerald cut is Good Old Gold as they would call some in, compare them for you together in a video, and check light performance.

_17008.jpg

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I think that setting is beautiful and will highlight a sparkly G VS stones. I have an H si1 and it sparkled all the time .....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will say that my other favorite would be tapered baguette sides with the plain shank and basket. It doesn't get much more elegant than that.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1397674587|3654525 said:
I will say that my other favorite would be tapered baguette sides with the plain shank and basket. It doesn't get much more elegant than that.

+1

But I'm biased... :Up_to_something:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have round accent stones in the shank and they only serve to make the entire ring more beautiful with an EC center.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
does she have a pinterest page? I personally love emerald cuts as solitaires or with some type of step cut side stones, I just had an EC e ring made with trapezoid sides (and my band with be with carre cuts). It truly is a very personal preference and without knowing what she likes, it is kind of a shot in the dark.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have an asscher. For a long time I looked for the right setting. At first I was against pave for the same reasons you've stated. But then I gave it a shot and actually I ADORE my stepcut next to pave. The contrast actually made the best of both the pave and the step cut. I even have a pave halo now, since I like the juxtaposition so much).

I think the Evelyn solitaire is gorgeous and classic. And I think it's a great choice. Classic and elegant. I think you should go for it.

Also, Victor picks lovely stones. You should ask him to find you a nice center stone for it too!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really love the contrast between round pave and emerald cuts. I think rounds can make a stepcut look even more amazing.

That's a lovely setting!

me&myboys

Shiny_Rock
I think it's awesome - but I am a little biased :rodent:

In a few different lighting conditions for you to get a sense:

_17009.jpg

_17010.jpg

_17011.jpg

_17012.jpg

Bill101

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the responses and pictures-- I think you have addressed my concerns.

Special thanks to "meandmyboys" -- your ring is exactly what I am looking for. It looks great!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results