shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about dangle earrings project.... opinions welcome!

Which cushion shape do you prefer for dangle earrings?

• Square cushions

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Elongated (rectangular) cushions

Votes: 8 72.7%

• Total voters

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi all! I am embarking on a dangle earrings project with cushions and I am torn between using square cushions or elongated (rectangular) cushions. The diamonds will be bezel-set to accentuate their silhouette. Aside from personal preference, can anyone think of any reason to favor one shape over the other? Or if you do have a strong preference for one shape over the other, feel free to share that as well! I have a bad habit of overthinking things at times (bling projects especially!) so I am trying to avoid that, but I just want to make sure I am not missing anything!

As a side note, I am thinking about changing my username in the near future. I am very passionate about the earth and am a huge environmentalist, and when I joined PS almost five years ago I naively only thought about my username signifying the carbon from which diamonds emanate and didn't consider it having any association with our carbon footprint, which frankly is beyond horrifying. So in any case, my moral compass wants me to change it, but I am not sure if that would prevent people from finding me, so I am still thinking.

Regardless, please feel free to weigh in on whether I should go for square or elongated cushions for my dangles project! Many thanks in advance!

Last edited:

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Can you post a few inspirational photos of the look you're going for?

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't have any inspirational photos per se, but I am thinking of something simple and streamlined, with a few small bezel-set round diamonds and then a bezel-set cushion.

Reactions: AV_

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I think it really just depends on how long you want them to dangle. Also, think about your face shape and what would best enhance. Perhaps If you have a longer face, going with rectangular may just be too much “elongation” where squares would balance things out. Alternatively, if you have a fuller shaped-face you might want something to give a less-full shape and go for the elongated cushions.
With regard to your screen name, I think given this is a diamond forum people would know it is referring to diamond. It never occurred to me it was anything regarding a carbon footprint.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Square cushions set at 45° would be my choice based on personal preference.

DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would take into account your face shape and height as well. I prefer short dangles generally and like them to hang symmetrically if possible (difficult due to my earlobes being unevenly pierced). Also, I think (just my feeling) that an elongated dangle is dressier than a square cushion dangles. Which would you reach for more?

So taking that into account which do you think would look best on you?

Here are a few examples on my ears. A more squarish shape. My OMC drops.

omcdrops.jpg.png

Close up

omcdropsonear.png

I don't have rectangular dangles per se but here is the closest example of a more elongated shape if it helps you visualize. But again, it comes down to your preferences and features/characteristics etc. HTH.

Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 6.12.34 AM.png

ETA: with reference to your user name like @headlight I never thought for a second your name has to do with a carbon footprint but was/is only diamond related. Truly I don't think anyone would make the carbon footprint association here and I wouldn't worry about it nor would I personally change my user name.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No advice, but I love dangles. I get more compliments on my tiny tiny dangles than any large diamond. The movement really makes them sparkle 582422

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you check out the dangle earring thread? I think it might provide a useful resource for you in this journey.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No advice, but I love dangles. I get more compliments on my tiny tiny dangles than any large diamond. The movement really makes them sparkle ear_0.jpg

Lovely! And yes IMO articulation is key. The soft and gentle movement makes them oh so petty and alluring. :love:

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it really just depends on how long you want them to dangle. Also, think about your face shape and what would best enhance. Perhaps If you have a longer face, going with rectangular may just be too much “elongation” where squares would balance things out. Alternatively, if you have a fuller shaped-face you might want something to give a less-full shape and go for the elongated cushions.
With regard to your screen name, I think given this is a diamond forum people would know it is referring to diamond. It never occurred to me it was anything regarding a carbon footprint.

Thank you @headlight; you make some really great points! I think I gravitate more toward the elongated shapes in general, and my face is more round so maybe that is part of the reason why! But both shapes are truly lovely, so I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't overlooking any other major differences (overall look, scintillation patterns, etc.).

And thank you so much for your kind words about my screen name; that really means a lot! :twirl: I could certainly think of many more apt names in terms of reflecting the essence of who I am, but then again it is a jewelry forum so I guess that's why I went with a bling-related name!

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Square cushions set at 45° would be my choice based on personal preference.

DK :))

Oooh, that sounds lovely @dk168! I am a newbie at dangles so all suggestions are welcome!

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would take into account your face shape and height as well. I prefer short dangles generally and like them to hang symmetrically if possible (difficult due to my earlobes being unevenly pierced). Also, I think (just my feeling) that an elongated dangle is dressier than a square cushion dangles. Which would you reach for more?

So taking that into account which do you think would look best on you?

Here are a few examples on my ears. A more squarish shape. My OMC drops.

I don't have rectangular dangles per se but here is the closest example of a more elongated shape if it helps you visualize. But again, it comes down to your preferences and features/characteristics etc. HTH.

ETA: with reference to your user name like @headlight I never thought for a second your name has to do with a carbon footprint but was/is only diamond related. Truly I don't think anyone would make the carbon footprint association here and I wouldn't worry about it nor would I personally change my user name.

Thank you so much for posting these photos, @missy, and wow, both of these are just gorgeous and you wear them so well! And I love the dangles thread you initiated, too; that has been super helpful. I have always admired your dangles collection... you truly have the most impeccable taste! :love:

I'm probably leaning toward elongated/rectangular dangles but still on the fence. I feel like I always agonize over bling-related decisions, but I guess that is part of the fun!

And I really appreciate your kind words about my screen name. I initially thought it was a cute name to use in a forum of jewelry enthusiasts, but more recently I thought maybe I had a temporary lapse in judgment and chose an environmentally insensitive name... but that was certainly not my intent! Anyhoo, it is sweet of you to allay my concerns. Thank you so much!!

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No advice, but I love dangles. I get more compliments on my tiny tiny dangles than any large diamond. The movement really makes them sparkle ear_0.jpg

Oh my gosh, I absolutely adore your dangles, @Jimmianne! I can just imagine the scintillation when they move. They are so beautiful!! :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results