shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about 5mm semi-mount

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
Yay me, for buying my first semi-mount. Nothing fancy, but within my budget and still fun and exciting. I'm assuming some of you might have the same one? I know at least one person does, in WG, but I haven't seen anyone else's yet. Please, please post pics if you have it too.

$(KGrHqN,!lsE2FLOWwqjBNyKSv(eWg~~0_3_1.jpg

Mine will be in rose gold and I'm looking for a mint colored gem, one that will make an impact despite being small. I think I may have to have one custom cut, which would also be a first. Or maybe you already know of one that might be just right? I've looked, but no luck!

My question is, does 5mm mean 5mm? And does a round setting only accommodate a round stone? I assume yes! From your experience, what dimensions might work best with what I have to work with?

Thanks so much!

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
Ummm, okay I know this isn't a very exciting project by most standards. Sorry about that... Just wondering what if I find a stone close to 5mm or choose to have something custom cut. What if it comes close but isn't exact? I assume it wouldn't be good to go under. I don't like the way it looks when a gem doesn't completely fill the setting. But what about a little bit over? Does anyone have an idea how much would be too much?

Thanks so much!

T

talamasca

Sorry, I can't offer any advice as I'm new to all this, but looking forward to seeing what you choose :D

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I have that setting and I love it. I plan on purchasing another. My slightly smaller, 4.7mm stone fit perfectly in it and sat a little low, which I preferred personally. You should be able to find something in that size somewhat easily; however, its always best to buy the stone before the mount as esp. through LOGR mounts are fairly easy to customize. Checkout Gemline Inc for small mint tourms, such as
http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=8545 Dan and Barry also sometimes carry smaller precision cut stones, but I can't think of any minty stones that aren't sold off the top of my head.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would think you would be able to fit a 4.5 to 5.5 mm stone in it. There's always half a mm leeway with settings it seems, especially if you have a good jeweler. I love minty stones in rose gold. :love:

Ask Gene, didn't he bring back minty Afghan rough from Tuscon?

pixies

Shiny_Rock
TL|1305299220|2920713 said:
I would think you would be able to fit a 4.5 to 5.5 mm stone in it. There's always half a mm leeway with settings it seems, especially if you have a good jeweler. I love minty stones in rose gold. :love:

Sorry to thread-jack but do the bezel legacy inspired settings from them have that much leeway as well? I really want one but haven't pulled the trigger because I've had a hard time finding a stone in the right size.

pixies

Shiny_Rock
I think the rose gold and a minty stone will be divine together!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pixies|1305300441|2920739 said:

Sorry to thread-jack but do the bezel legacy inspired settings from them have that much leeway as well? I really want one but haven't pulled the trigger because I've had a hard time finding a stone in the right size.

If you're talking about the LOGR, I think they run a little on the large side. For example, the 7x7 mm legacy will accomodate a 7.5mm easily, but I think it might be too big for a 6.5mm. I recently prong set an 8x9mm cushion in the 8x8mm legacy. I don't recommend bezeling stones though, as I think you will need more accurate dimensions, and it's hard to find a good jeweler that does decent bezel work. I would prong set them.

Sparkly_Not_Gaudy

Rough_Rock
TL|1305300605|2920747 said:

If you're talking about the LOGR, I think they run a little on the large side. For example, the 7x7 mm legacy will accomodate a 7.5mm easily, but I think it might be too big for a 6.5mm. I recently prong set an 8x9mm cushion in the 8x8mm legacy. I don't recommend bezeling stones though, as I think you will need more accurate dimensions, and it's hard to find a good jeweler that does decent bezel work. I would prong set them.

If LOGR = Lord of Gem Rings on eBay, I have had luck in getting them to adjust the setting size for me. I had a large stone I needed set and they adjusted (for a VERY small fee) the semi mount to work for my stone and I had one that was a bit smaller and they changed it for no fee.

Would love to see the green stone in rose gold when it is done!

pixies

Shiny_Rock
Sparkly_Not_Gaudy|1305302278|2920765 said:
TL|1305300605|2920747 said:

If LOGR = Lord of Gem Rings on eBay, I have had luck in getting them to adjust the setting size for me. I had a large stone I needed set and they adjusted (for a VERY small fee) the semi mount to work for my stone and I had one that was a bit smaller and they changed it for no fee.

Would love to see the green stone in rose gold when it is done!
Thanks for the quick replies everyone!

I can't wait to see this either. I occasionally have twinges of remorse over not making my e-ring rose gold.... but there will always be RHRs :naughty: !

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although it was already suggested I too would look for a mint garnet. Especially in round it will be very sparkly for you. Your ring is pretty.

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
Indylady, thanks for the suggestion to check with GemLine. I didn't even notice that one. I'll check in with Michael and see if he has anything else. That one is a good size, but I'm not too crazy about Portuguese cuts and it's a little on the blue side for me. What a great price though!

Thank you TL, for the guidance on wiggle room when it comes to mm size. That's exactly the info I was hoping for! Indylady mentioned that it's smarter to get the stone before the setting, lol. I couldn't help it...I rarely see settings I like. I wanted to get this one when I had the chance.

Purplemelody, I think that one's a little too big but great suggestion and I will definitely be adding that site to my ever growing list of bookmarks. Not sure if that's a good thing or not :saint:

Thanks, Marcy. Yes, maybe a garnet is the best choice for sparkle since it's gonna be a small one. I love tourmaline too though, so we'll see what I can find.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions to check with Gene, Barry, Dana, et. all. I think Barry's cutting is just amazing. I have an inquiry in right now with David and Cathy at Rough 2 Refined. Have any of you worked with them before? They have some really pretty minty rough, but I'm worried it may be a little above my price range when all is said and done.

I'm really not a yellow gold fan, but something about rose gold just seems so warm and rich. I've saved many pictures from this forum of all your beautiful rose gold and colored stone projects. They're just fabulous :lickout: Someday I'll get around to posting pictures of a cocktail ring I have and love that was my grandma's. It's a beautiful swirly leaf design in 10k rose gold with a large color change stone that I think might be a garnet.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I have it in white gold. It's a very understated and beautiful setting. I have a 4.5 x 5.5 mm "roval" Mali garnet set in it. So that might answer some of your questions. Take a look...

179884_747991616784_14300210_40741231_3955356_n.jpg

I think someone else has it in yellow gold with a ruby, and I'm sure there are others.

ETA: I should mention that you can see the bezel-like line of metal below the stone in the photo, but it's not very prominent in real life. But the smaller you go below 5mm, the more likely you are to see it.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I'd consider these:
http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=6046

You'd have to buy all 3 together, but they're all gorgeous, so that wouldn't be a problem for me! You could also look at both of the rounds and see whether the 4.6 or the 5.8mm stone looks better in the setting.

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
Barry says the bubbles are definitely eye visible in that little garnet. With something so small, I don't want obvious inclusions to be distracting.

Jstar, lol I did see those and they're lovely but the last thing I need is to buy 3 stones instead of 1! I think the smaller is a little too small and the larger a little too large. Your two rings are so pretty. I have a peridot oval cab bezel set e/w with an engraved sterling silver band. It is certainly no where near as fine as your ring, but the overall color combo and proportions remind me of yours. Small and unassuming but so lovely.

Thank you for the leads and suggestions, very fun. I did consider how difficult it might be find a gem that would fit in the setting. I decided that round 5mm was about as common as you could hope for so I'm confident I'll find the right match eventually.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Aww, thanks! I should point out that mine is actually a Mali garnet (looks a lot like a peridot though!). I got it from D&J Rare Gems. You could talk to them about minty material. Also, it's not quite mint, but they have a couple of demantoid garnets that look like they might fit: http://www.djraregems.com/finegems.html

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jstarfireb|1305429609|2922116 said:
Aww, thanks! I should point out that mine is actually a Mali garnet (looks a lot like a peridot though!). I got it from D&J Rare Gems. You could talk to them about minty material. Also, it's not quite mint, but they have a couple of demantoid garnets that look like they might fit: http://www.djraregems.com/finegems.html

Most demantoids shift to a yellowish green color, so ask about that if you're considering a demantoid.

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
8) Funny, I looked on D&J tonight, and a ton of other sites too. I always think, oh it's been a while since I looked on such and such site, maybe there's something new. And then I realize it's probably only been 5 or 6 days and everything is pretty much the same. I will keep that in mind about the demantoids though, thank you TL. I have a tiny Russian demantoid from GLI with horsetail inclusions, but the color is kind of an olive green. It's just a novelty. Maybe someday it will become a stacker in sterling silver.

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
Hmm, I found this one. It's the right size but I'm not sure if it's silvery enough for me. When it comes to mint green, sea foam green and the bluish greenish variations in between, my eyes get a little confused. I don't know how to describe the color I like best. This may be a little too green. Any thoughts? Does that look like a culet?

tsav.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bluebirrrd|1305437315|2922173 said:
Hmm, I found this one. It's the right size but I'm not sure if it's silvery enough for me. When it comes to mint green, sea foam green and the bluish greenish variations in between, my eyes get a little confused. I don't know how to describe the color I like best. This may be a little too green. Any thoughts? Does that look like a culet?

tsav.jpg

Did you end up posting a photo of a stone with the color you like best? I don't remember, but that may help. I think using terms like mint green, seafoam green, etc. . . are too speculative.

When you say silvery, do you mean you want it less saturated (more grey), or just lighter in tone with the same saturation? Sometimes the tone can be so light that saturation is impeded as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results