shape
carat
color
clarity

Query re who constitutes “trade”

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
Dear Moderators,
I am a long-time member and stay at home mom and recently finally decided to take the leap into the jewelry world.
I am doing the IG page for @badis_jewelers who specialize in vintage and antique jewelry and are close to where I live in New Jersey.
I wanted to know if this means I need to change my status here to “trade” and if so what are the rules attendant to that.
I do not work in the store and only work from home promoting them on Instagram but wanted to make sure I was following the rules here.
Thank you!
Emily

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I'm also wondering about this. Thinking of starting a blog to expand on what I've already written on PS, and adding more writing there as well. I would monetise the blog and possibly have a link to my etsy. Would that make me a person who generates revenue from jewellery? Certainly. Would that make me 'trade'?
I really don't know.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asking these questions here and speaking about it - is violating their policies.
I get it though.
They want to discuss these questions with you privately. Because it’s a grey area with concessions?
They want any of us who have questions about others actions and intentions to not make those public- but to hit that ‘report’ button.

it’s all ripe for speculation. I get there’s grey areas and not everything is linear. But ripe for speculation. And ripe for some to ‘get away’ with actions against TOS, because some get reported and some don’t. Who really wants to be the report button pushing fairy anyways?!?

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I've reported my own post and asked for deletion.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Hi everyone,

It does not violate our policies to ask honest questions about the policies, it only violates the policies to critique moderator actions or debate the policies. That's not what the forum is for.

Apologies we did not see this thread sooner. If you profit from a business related to gem and jewelry sales, you're trade. Sales associates, people who have monetized jewelry websites, etsy stores where they are selling items for profit, etc. all would classify someone as trade.

Keeping the rule simple allows everyone to be clear that folks providing advice on PS are consumers and aren't in any way profiting from the recommendations they make.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Asking these questions here and speaking about it - is violating their policies.
I get it though.
They want to discuss these questions with you privately. Because it’s a grey area with concessions?
They want any of us who have questions about others actions and intentions to not make those public- but to hit that ‘report’ button.

it’s all ripe for speculation. I get there’s grey areas and not everything is linear. But ripe for speculation. And ripe for some to ‘get away’ with actions against TOS, because some get reported and some don’t. Who really wants to be the report button pushing fairy anyways?!?

The main reason we ask folks not to discuss the policies publicly is because we don't want forum members sharing misinformation or speculating. These falsehoods then often circulate and it can be hard for us to actually get the real policies understood.

Policies also sometimes change over time, and it can be confusing for people to find threads from years ago when a policy was different and being discussed.

The reason the PS forum policies ask you to hit "report concern" is so that we can have our attention called to the thread, and so we can answer any questions. Asking questions about the policies with the intent to understand them is 100% allowed.

fel

Shiny_Rock
Hi -- Can I just clarify something -- if one has an occasional etsy or ebay sale, selling one's old jewelry to get back part of the investment, then is one safely "not trade"? I have so many items I bought on loupetroop, thrift shops, etc. over the years, and really need to offload some. I am thinking of selling some on etsy -- just to get back what I paid + shipping if possible. However, I'm not nearly knowledgeable to be "trade". Thanks!

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Hi -- Can I just clarify something -- if one has an occasional etsy or ebay sale, selling one's old jewelry to get back part of the investment, then is one safely "not trade"? I have so many items I bought on loupetroop, thrift shops, etc. over the years, and really need to offload some. I am thinking of selling some on etsy -- just to get back what I paid + shipping if possible. However, I'm not nearly knowledgeable to be "trade". Thanks!

The general rule we use is intent, did you purchase the piece with the intent to resell for profit? If so, it does not belong on Preloved on Pricescope.

If you are regularly buying items with the intent to profit, then you are a trade member and should register as such. That includes instagram businesses, etsy shops, etc. It does not include selling your own personal items, though we recommend if you are setting up an etsy storefront to be clear you are selling your own personal collection and are not a reseller.

Other trade members include anyone who stands to financially benefit from the gem or jewelry industry. That could include jewelry store staff, appraisers, etc.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results