shape
carat
color
clarity

Quality of emeralds?

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
49EFD16A-3D40-444E-B72F-B5AA05181F18.jpeg 81E2CD9B-4035-48C3-8C77-E51B73E8CF1B.jpeg

Hi, have this also on the antique jewelry board with regards to a different non-colored stone aka diamond question, but wanted to ask the colored stone experts here as to their opinion re these emeralds. Comes with no papers. About 2 carats each per seller. Asking $1700. Crazy or reasonable? Condition looks a bit poor IMHO (rose cut diamonds look chipped, prints worn)and emeralds a bit light so I’m tempted to pass.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they’re real emeralds, not synthetic, doublets or otherwise, then the quality is average. I don’t think they’re horrible, but they are very pale in color and that affects value dramatically.

I’m estimating the price to be about $250/ct for the emeralds. I cannot tell the quality of the diamonds, but it seems suspect to have chipped diamonds in earrings?? Maybe they’re just dirty??? I probably would not buy without appropriate paperwork deeming the diamonds natural and of at least SI clarity,. It should also show the actual treatment and quality of the emeralds. However if everything were to pan out properly, I think $1700 is a fair price.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
If they’re real emeralds, not synthetic, doublets or otherwise, then the quality is average. I don’t think they’re horrible, but they are very pale in color and that affects value dramatically.

I’m estimating the price to be about $250/ct for the emeralds. I cannot tell the quality of the diamonds, but it seems suspect to have chipped diamonds in earrings?? Maybe they’re just dirty??? I probably would not buy without appropriate paperwork deeming the diamonds natural and of at least SI clarity,. It should also show the actual treatment and quality of the emeralds. However if everything were to pan out properly, I think $1700 is a fair price.

Thanks for the advice!! Yes, I’m hesitant to purchase since it has absolutely no papers. I could be getting anything really...glass, paste, synthetics, etc. not sure if I should take the risk.

Reactions: T L

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do you like them? It doesn't sound like you do.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Based on personal experience , I have never seen synthetic in this colour.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@pwsg07 thanks for the input! The stones look real to me with its many inclusions and light color (typically synthetics aim for the more trade desirable dark green), but I think perhaps it’s just a poorer quality piece overall. So while I like it I don’t think it’s worth $1700 (or really even $1000 for that matter).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FYI: they make synthetics with inclusions. Some doublets are very convincing as well. These look real to me as well, but after collecting all these years, I’m always careful to know exactly what I’m getting. ;-)

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
FYI: they make synthetics with inclusions. Some doublets are very convincing as well. These look real to me as well, but after collecting all these years, I’m always careful to know exactly what I’m getting. ;-)

Thanks for the tip! Do they make synthetic sapphires with convincing silk inclusions also? I saw a sapphire the other day with silk inclusions but now doubting if that may be a synthetic...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the tip! Do they make synthetic sapphires with convincing silk inclusions also? I saw a sapphire the other day with silk inclusions but now doubting if that may be a synthetic...
I’m not sure about that, but I do know that treatments and simulants are always getting more deceptive, especially in the big four, rubies, sapphires, emeralds, diamonds (there’s a plethora of diamond synthetics in the market). Trust but verify!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results