shape
carat
color
clarity

Quality differences between Leon Mege and Tacori?

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
So the two settings I am looking at are similarly priced, but very different. I love the "no metal" look of Leon's work, and I know it is exquisite. However I saw a Tacori setting that I am surprised I fell in love with. It has distictly more metal, but it is done in a lovely way.

So the prices are on par, but how about the quality. Is Leon far superior since it is a handmade piece? After lusting over Leon, will I be disappointed by Tacori?

I could contact Leon to make a version of the Tacori, but I may have to make up a new e-mail address!!

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Tacori has a very fine product. Handmade (Leon) has a delicacy that most non-handmade could never achieve. That being said Leon's work is not perfect. Handmade jewelry often has slight asymmetry and other imperfections due to the nature of being handmade. Not to say good or bad just is what it is. The benefit to going with a custom piece is that it can be made to your specs. If you find something already made then that is a plus--no errors in interpretation. Personally if I can find what I want pre-made so much the better if the quality is high. Edit: Also more metal is not bad. May be more durable and less likely to warp and or bend-- etc. It comes down to aesthetics.

jess1981

Shiny_Rock
I would go with Tacori over a Leon. That way you can see it before you buy it and you know exactly what you are getting. If I was going to get a custom ring, I would want it to be from a jeweler that I knew had exceptional customer service and was easy to communicate with. The fact that you feel like you have to get another email address to talk to him is not a good sign. :???:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The "no metal" look has the distinct disadvantage of being that much more prone to torque deformation, especially in combination with the super-thin shanks that are becoming popular..

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
petrock<3 said:
So the two settings I am looking at are similarly priced, but very different. I love the "no metal" look of Leon's work, and I know it is exquisite. However I saw a Tacori setting that I am surprised I fell in love with. It has distictly more metal, but it is done in a lovely way.

So the prices are on par, but how about the quality. Is Leon far superior since it is a handmade piece? After lusting over Leon, will I be disappointed by Tacori?

I could contact Leon to make a version of the Tacori, but I may have to make up a new e-mail address!!

Take a close look at the inside surfaces and meet points of a Tacori piece. Then take a loupe and look at the polish in the hard to reach places.

Then take a look at a Leon piece.

Quality of polish on all surfaces is the mark of high end jewelry.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
If the Tacori is everything you want, I don't see why you shouldn't get it. It is difficult for any jeweler to replicate a design exactly and you will suffer disappointment if the Tacori ring has everything you want. On the other hand, if you want changes - I would go with Leon if Tacori can't make the adjustments. On the other hand, Tacori is a mass produced piece - do you want something more unique that no one else can buy one just like it?

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
CharmyPoo said:
If the Tacori is everything you want, I don't see why you shouldn't get it. It is difficult for any jeweler to replicate a design exactly and you will suffer disappointment if the Tacori ring has everything you want. On the other hand, if you want changes - I would go with Leon if Tacori can't make the adjustments. On the other hand, Tacori is a mass produced piece - do you want something more unique that no one else can buy one just like it?

The Tacori would be a morph of two rings, the head of one and the band of another. So it would be tweeked a tiny bit. They do a cad for you of several angles before it is made so it makes me feel better about the result.

I fear that since Leon would be unable to copy the parts I really like exactly (for ethical reasons) it may lose some of its charm. But the upside would that it would be refined in his way and he has good taste. The custom thing scares me a bit with him not knowing exactly how it will turn out, but the handmade aspect has such a special appeal.

To flip flop yet AGAIN- Tacori is very easy to work with and I have seen it in person. I am just getting worn down and want to get on with it already!! I think the risk of disappointment is pretty low, and the process will be easy.

I guess if the consensus was that Tacori vs. Leon was night and day I would go with Leon and make consessions on the design. But from the responses so far it seems that for mass produced it is pretty good. Would you agree with that? I have not had the opportunity to see Leon's work in person to compare. I am back in Mexico so will not be able before ordering.

Thank you for responding to this! I am sorry to keep clogging up the board with my indisiciveness. :oops:

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
petrock<3 said:
CharmyPoo said:

The Tacori would be a morph of two rings, the head of one and the band of another. So it would be tweeked a tiny bit. They do a cad for you of several angles before it is made so it makes me feel better about the result.

I fear that since Leon would be unable to copy the parts I really like exactly (for ethical reasons) it may lose some of its charm. But the upside would that it would be refined in his way and he has good taste. The custom thing scares me a bit with him not knowing exactly how it will turn out, but the handmade aspect has such a special appeal.

To flip flop yet AGAIN- Tacori is very easy to work with and I have seen it in person. I am just getting worn down and want to get on with it already!! I think the risk of disappointment is pretty low, and the process will be easy.

I guess if the consensus was that Tacori vs. Leon was night and day I would go with Leon and make consessions on the design. But from the responses so far it seems that for mass produced it is pretty good. Would you agree with that? I have not had the opportunity to see Leon's work in person to compare. I am back in Mexico so will not be able before ordering.

Thank you for responding to this! I am sorry to keep clogging up the board with my indisiciveness. :oops:

Tacori is among the very top for "mass produced." Though at the price point its not "mass produced" to the extent the term implies. (remember T&Co is mass produced) Leon's work is phenomenal but as many of us have said it can be an unpredictable road. I happen to own a Tacori band as well as a Leon ring and other high end hand made jewelry. There are pluses and minuses to everything. I would suggest you go with Tacori after reading your posts. Asking Leon to "copy" something with some tweaks seems like a recipe for disappointment.

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
At the last minute before I went back to Mexico, I stopped in my B&M jewelers to have a look at the setting I liked. I was unsure about the prongs on the double halo.

Good thing I did, because in person I much prefered another halo design (the round halo pictured). It looks less severe in person, I did not like the looks of it at all on the website. It is amazing how different settings look in person!

I always thought I wanted the lowest setting possible, but really also preferred the height of the second setting as well. Go figure.

So band of the emerald ring pictured, with halo of the round, to give you a visual. The side view of this in person is really beautiful.

tacorihalo.jpg

tacorihalo2.jpg

tacoriband.jpg

tacoriside.jpg

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
bgray said:
Tacori is among the very top for "mass produced." Though at the price point its not "mass produced" to the extent the term implies. (remember T&Co is mass produced) Leon's work is phenomenal but as many of us have said it can be an unpredictable road. I happen to own a Tacori band as well as a Leon ring and other high end hand made jewelry. There are pluses and minuses to everything. I would suggest you go with Tacori after reading your posts. Asking Leon to "copy" something with some tweaks seems like a recipe for disappointment.

Thanks bgray, your input is very helpful. It is good for my confused mind to know you have seen both!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I have always loved the way that Tacori band looked and I don't think Leon will make you something like it. I say .. go for it!

I also thought that I always wanted a diamond as low as possible but sometimes it just looks too squatty.

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
jess1981 said:
I would go with Tacori over a Leon. That way you can see it before you buy it and you know exactly what you are getting. If I was going to get a custom ring, I would want it to be from a jeweler that I knew had exceptional customer service and was easy to communicate with. The fact that you feel like you have to get another email address to talk to him is not a good sign. :???:

Yes I agree. I think Leon should think about adopting some of their methods, since he seems to be inundated with quote requests and maybe overwhelmed? You pay $25 (to be applied towards purchase) and get a whole hour of talk time with a very knowledgeable rep. We went over all sorts of possibilities and she couldn't have been more polite and accomodating. We are getting back in touch Tues and I can e-mail her to my hearts content!

Charmy poo- Yes I was very surprised! "Squatty" is a good term for it, that is just how it looked. The higher one was more regal, but not too high to be annoying. I tested it out cramming my hand into my tight tight jeans :lol:

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie said:
The "no metal" look has the distinct disadvantage of being that much more prone to torque deformation, especially in combination with the super-thin shanks that are becoming popular..

Good point Yssie, I will add that to the Tacori plus column!

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
Hello. :wavey: I'm new, but have been lurking and reading these boards for yrs now. lol

I remember reading about Tacori quality control issues a few yrs back (2008)-- lost melee, bent rings, prong problems, eroded milgrain, etc. Does anyone know if this has been largely resolved? How are the pieces holding up since then?

I, too, am deciding to go the custom route vs Tacori due to this. I feel the price is too high to have a faulty product in any capacity. But I have fallen in LOVE with one of their designs. :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results