shape
carat
color
clarity

Put out the cigarette, put down the phone, and DRIVE!!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
CAUTION: TRAFFIC RANT AHEAD

I''ll admit, I don''t drive much anymore. I live in a happy little bubble that requires me about five minutes behind the wheel to reach any desired destination. But this week my son is attending musical theater camp and I have to drive him through the city from the south side to the north to get there. I am astonished that there are not hundreds of deaths a day on the highways! From people driving slow in the left lanes, to being completely oblivious to the rules of courtesy and merging right to allow for others to pass, to people dangling a cigarette in their left hand while using their right to talk on the phone or text. I''m thinking THESE PEOPLE MUST DIE!!!!!
32.gif

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I do use my phone when I drive. BUT I don''t think I should die because of it
38.gif
I think I need to stop being stupid instead..

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about the lady who was putting on her mascara last week on the PA TURNPIKE driving about 60 miles per hour? Now, she''s not too swift.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/22/2010 12:09:36 PM
Author: puppmom
What about the lady who was putting on her mascara last week on the PA TURNPIKE driving about 60 miles per hour? Now, she's not too swift.
Ugh, or the lady in her huge SUV who almost completely sideswipped a vehicle when she changed lanes, going about 50mph, because she was talking on her cell phone. She went over into the lane as she was RIGHT next to them, and didn't even notice that the other car literally had to swerve completely off the road.

pinkstars

Brilliant_Rock
I try to avoid talking on the phone while driving, so much to the point where if I have anything to do but need to call someone(usually my mom or grandma) I end up not calling because I don''t want to have to talk to them while I''m in the car! I often wonder how some people don''t end up having more accidents, how they never seem to look for other vehicles when they change lanes, speeding in double fines areas.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
How about the people who pull out in front of you because they are in a huge hurry only to drive under the speed limit. I love stupid people.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do talk on the phone while driving, but only on my headset. I am also guilty of texting, but only at stoplights, especially since one of my coworkers rolled into another car at a stop sign because she was texting while driving, so I''m kind of paranoid about that.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2010 12:59:39 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
I do talk on the phone while driving, but only on my headset. I am also guilty of texting, but only at stoplights, especially since one of my coworkers rolled into another car at a stop sign because she was texting while driving, so I''m kind of paranoid about that.

We had a lady in my town who was driving on the highway while texting and ran her car underneath a semi, she died instantly. I don''t text while driving.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/22/2010 1:06:21 PM
Author: lknvrb4

We had a lady in my town who was driving on the highway while texting and ran her car underneath a semi, she died instantly. I don''t text while driving.
Can you imagine being the recipient/intended recipient of that message...

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
Granted, statistics are often baloney, but for those who put stock in them, I think the stat on texting while driving is that increases the odds of an accident by 8 times. I read an article once about a group of high school girls who were taking a vacation to the beach. Half the group was in one car, and the other half was following behind. The driver of the front car received a text, and the police believe that her trying to answer it was what led to her flipping her car into a ditch where it exploded, killing her and the passengers. The friends that were in the car following are probably scarred for life from watching that.
38.gif
I throw out the horrific story in the hope that it''ll scare any driving texters out of the bad habit. PLEASE pull over if you have to send or read a text that badly! ::Steps off soapbox::

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I do not text and drive, but I do talk. They are getting ready to pass the law in MD preventing you from talking on the phone unless it is hands free. Why? I dont understand. Because you dont have two hands on the wheel? You dont when you drive a stick or change the radio station or take a drink. Even when one hand isnt busy doing other things I rarely have both on the wheel anyway. The only time I drive with both hands is when I am in a high stress situation. I wouldnt want to be talking to someone on the phone holding it or not in those situations anyway. I dont get what the big deal is.

Also, I think if they are going to make is illeagal to talk on the phone unless it is handsfree then eating in the car should be against the law. I have seen more people almost cause accidents while eating than I have with people on the phone.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/22/2010 2:00:09 PM

Date: 6/22/2010 1:06:21 PM
Author: lknvrb4

I do talk on the phone while driving, but only on my headset. I am also guilty of texting, but only at stoplights, especially since one of my coworkers rolled into another car at a stop sign because she was texting while driving, so I'm kind of paranoid about that.

We had a lady in my town who was driving on the highway while texting and ran her car underneath a semi, she died instantly. I don't text while driving.
Can you imagine being the recipient/intended recipient of that message...
I saw a commercial where the screen was black, and there were white letters (I think it said "Th" or something like that). Then there's a voice-over that says something like "That is the text message my brother was writing to me when his car struck a telephone pole/wall/something, and he died". I'm completely messing up the words of the commercial, I'm sure, but you get what I mean. It's freaky!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/22/2010 2:23:54 PM
Author: radiantquest
I do not text and drive, but I do talk. They are getting ready to pass the law in MD preventing you from talking on the phone unless it is hands free. Why? I dont understand. Because you dont have two hands on the wheel? You dont when you drive a stick or change the radio station or take a drink. Even when one hand isnt busy doing other things I rarely have both on the wheel anyway. The only time I drive with both hands is when I am in a high stress situation. I wouldnt want to be talking to someone on the phone holding it or not in those situations anyway. I dont get what the big deal is.

Also, I think if they are going to make is illeagal to talk on the phone unless it is handsfree then eating in the car should be against the law. I have seen more people almost cause accidents while eating than I have with people on the phone.
It doesn''t seem like a big deal if you''re hands-free, I get that. But honestly I have seen some really distracted drivers yakking away on their earpieces and I have almost been rear-ended TWICE by one about a month ago.

My boss uses a bluetooth earpiece and he calls me from the road all the time, half the time he has little kids in the car screaming in the background. But he''s hands free!
20.gif

Personally I hate talking while driving. My boss called me last Monday while I was literally in the midst of a tornado/hail storm driving up the highway, and even as other cars are pulling off the road onto the shoulder to wait out the storm, here I am worried that i have to pick up the call and I actually answered it and answered his question before I pulled my car over and worried about my own safety first. I am still shaking my head about that one. He knew I was driving at that point and he also knew about the warnings going on.

I think the instances I''m citing are the reason behind this law they want to pass, RQ. I don''t think the bad apples are the people using their phones for random phone emergencies; they''re the ones who are more worried about conducting business and multi-tasking that are distracted and causing problems on the road. That''s my experience, anyway.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
California made it illegal to use a handheld phone when driving.

Still lots and lots of people do it and it makes me so mad.
It is like drunk driving and puts everyone''s life at risk.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2010 11:27:06 AM
Author: Autumnovember
I do use my phone when I drive. BUT I don''t think I should die because of it
38.gif
I think I need to stop being stupid instead..
I guess I should have added a HYPERBOLE ALERT with my initial post.
20.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2010 2:23:54 PM
Author: radiantquest

WA just passed the law that makes being on your phone while driving a primary offense, where it was previously a secondary.

I agree with the law, but I do have an issue with it - if the reason that it''s so distracting is the conversation, shouldn''t talking to other passengers in the car be illegal? Obviously they couldn''t enforce that. You can even drive with your knee (look ma, no hands!) and it''s legal, but putting a phone to your ear isn''t?

Like I said, I support the law and hope it cuts down on accidents (I was rear ended a few years ago by a guy on his phone) but it''s just funny for the reasons I mentioned.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
France was sooooo nice. I didn''t see one person, not ONE, talking on the cell phone while driving during our entire 2 week vacation.

Nearly every person who changes lanes in front of me without looking, pulls out in front of me, runs red lights around me, or just plain is obviously not paying attention is most often on the phone.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t realize so many places still allowed cell phone use while driving. In IL, it''s illegal to talk on a cell without a headset and illegal to text while driving. The normal fine is $75 but I think it increases if you''re in a school or construction zone.

That being said, I definitely don''t think anyone should die because of their texting, smoking, or anything else. Obviously these people are in and cause more accidents than those who keep their eyes and mind on the road. I just wish people would start taking life a bit more seriously and understand how many people are at risk just by one person not paying attention.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
My father taught drivers'' education in an Illinois high school for 36 years. I remember more than a couple of funerals he attended of former students killed in car accidents. It breaks my heart!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phone use while driving needs to be outlawed - period. We all see this everyday - the swerving, not keeping up speed, just generally distracted drivers. I know phones are not the only culprit but when you come upon someone not driving well, you can just about be guaranteed they have a phone in their hand. It''s scary stuff - makes you feel like you have to always be more diligent on the road.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
It''s not outlawed here, and I am guilty as charged. I''m not reckless though. I generally only talk on the phone, and will answer single yes or no to a text IF I''m on a straight away and IF there is no traffic in front of, next to, or behind me.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
In New Zealand it is illigal to use a cellphone while driving (including when stopped at traffic lights) without a hands free kit.

I just don''t answer my phone while I''m driving. If it''s important they''ll leave me a message and I can call them back, or if I''m expecting an important call I can pull over and stop when it''s safe and take the call. Acording to the adverts over here, you''re five times more likely to have an accendent while talking on a moblie phone.

There are so many people out there who are just terrible drivers in the first place, adding another distraction to the mix is really not wise. My best friend is a pretty shocking driver. Every time I''m in the car with her and she get''s out her cell to read/write a text I pray for survival.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2010 5:54:21 PM
Author: dragonfly411
It''s not outlawed here, and I am guilty as charged. I''m not reckless though. I generally only talk on the phone, and will answer single yes or no to a text IF I''m on a straight away and IF there is no traffic in front of, next to, or behind me.

Texting while driving is reckless no matter how many letters you have type. What is so important that it can''t wait until you''re a stoplight? My sister texts while she drives sometimes and it drives me crazy. Texting while driving is SO dangerous and NOTHING is so important that it needs to be texted about while driving.

Scorpioanne

Shiny_Rock
Where I live it is against the law to drive and talk on the phone or text but I still see people doing it and it makes me nuts and want to report them.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2010 6:47:25 PM
Author: Scorpioanne
Where I live it is against the law to drive and talk on the phone or text but I still see people doing it and it makes me nuts and want to report them.
Annie, I think we ought to sic your flying monkeys on them!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
This kills so many. It''s enough. I really hope they have a huge penalty for this... A fine may not be enough.. How about some jail time??
34.gif

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I once had a class that explained how attention worked and what happens is that every distraction takes away from your attention. The fact that they banned driving with a cell phone doesn''t solve that problem if you can still use a bluetooth. They take the same amount of attention.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
It should be illegal.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/22/2010 5:25:00 PM
Author: MissGotRocks
Phone use while driving needs to be outlawed - period. We all see this everyday - the swerving, not keeping up speed, just generally distracted drivers. I know phones are not the only culprit but when you come upon someone not driving well, you can just about be guaranteed they have a phone in their hand. It's scary stuff - makes you feel like you have to always be more diligent on the road.

I agree. Any phone use should not be allowed while driving. If you must answer a call/make a call pull over when it is safe to do so and then take/make the call. Ditto for texting. I am amazed at how people can behave so dangerously by using their cell phone while driving. Yes there are other unsafe activities people undertake while driving (ie eating, putting on makeup) and I think we should ban them all. But one step at a time. The police officers don't even enforce the law as it is here which is you are not allowed to use a hands on cell phone while driving. Well, I see almost every other car with a driver using their phone (and not hands free).
38.gif

And while we're at it I get pissed off at people who walk and talk on their cell phones or text while walking and don't look where they are going -ie crossing the street all distracted. IMO they deserve to get run over if they behave that stupidly/carelessly. Sorry if that seems harsh but I am so tired of people behaving so inconsiderately of others. And what's the deal with having to make a call as soon as you get on the subway stairs impeding the smooth flow of people trying to get out/into the subway???
29.gif

I mean, how difficult is it to just stop and do what you need to do (ie make a phone call, do a text, whatever)

Sorry to go on a rant but these behaviors really annoy the hell out of me. You (collective you not personal) are *not* the center of the universe...KWIM??
5.gif

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2010 11:18:12 AM
Author:Uppy
CAUTION: TRAFFIC RANT AHEAD

I''ll admit, I don''t drive much anymore. I live in a happy little bubble that requires me about five minutes behind the wheel to reach any desired destination. But this week my son is attending musical theater camp and I have to drive him through the city from the south side to the north to get there. I am astonished that there are not hundreds of deaths a day on the highways! From people driving slow in the left lanes, to being completely oblivious to the rules of courtesy and merging right to allow for others to pass, to people dangling a cigarette in their left hand while using their right to talk on the phone or text. I''m thinking THESE PEOPLE MUST DIE!!!!!
32.gif

DITTO!
And if I may add.....
Stop throwing your cigarette butts out the window. The Earth is not your giant ashtray!!!!!!!
29.gif

Why do smokers think it is ok to litter their butts wherever they feel like it?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results