shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Purple Garnets Show and Tell

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
Purple Garnets ... A recent garnet find in Mozambique that's tested as a Rhodolite (52% pyrope, 47% almandine and 1% andradite) - but purple (and pink and violet and red)

At least four (possibly five) PS'ers have recently purchased precision cut purple garnets (NKOTB, Acinom, Arabella, Sungura and I think Lilmosun)

The intent of this thread is to gather pictures and stories all in one place and show them off and see if we can figure out who is cutting some next

I'll start with highlights of mine. I encourage others to post. I'll continue to post more content in the coming days

My purple garnet story

It all started with this post from NKOTB on July 12

I haven't been so excited about a gem color since I saw my first tanzanite

On Aug 5 I bought my first pair of 6mm from Yvonne Raley and as of yesterday I have 10. It's a full blown obsession. They are:

3 pair (6, 5, and 4mm) from Yvonne Raley
2 pieces of facet rough from New Era Gems (7 ct and 13 ct)
A 7mm+ round cut by Gene at Precision Gem
A 4.87ct 12x7 rectangle cut by Jordan Wilkins of Faceting Fantasies

I'm limiting myself to 1-2 pics of each for today but I'll my impressions and more pics in time. This post is already too long ;-)

Purple garnet and color change garnet in rose gold by Yvonne Raley of Cecile Raley Designs. I'm thrilled with the color combo that I came up with by myself (yay!!!) with Yvonne's blessing of course. Sunflower ring with 6mm purple garnet center and 1.3mm Tanzanian color change garnet petals. 4mm purple garnets in petal danglies. 6mm purple garnet in rose gold hex pendant with color change garnet in petal. Photos in today's east coast rain

Precision cut purple garnets photographed in today's rain. Photos to emphasize the color flashes of pink, purple, violet, red and gold!!!
Gene's chunky faceted round with a high crown is as gorgeous. The large facets break up the light to create a very different effect from the 6mm with smaller facets. More dramatic. The rectangle, a custom design by Jordan Wilkins, is very transparent and cut with such precision. He was spare with facets and they really play with the light creating wavy patterns on the table. Both gems are spectacular and I'll will be setting both with your guidance and suggestions!

My rough are from New Era Gems. I bought them at the East Coast Gem and Mineral Show in Springfield MA in August. I didn't pick them myself. I wouldn't have any idea what to look for. But I asked for rough to cut a largish square. The smaller piece will never be cut. It is only 5 or 6 mm thick and so transparent I just want to keep it as is

_34727.jpg

_34728.jpg

_34729.jpg

_34730.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sungura!! Thank you for starting this thread! You have quite an amazing collection. All your stones are of such great colour and cut quality.
I love the settings you have chosen for your stones. Any ideas on how to set the round and rectangle garnets?

As you mentioned in your post, I also have a purple garnet. Mine is from Jeff White and is a sister stone of NKOTB's stone:

_426.jpeg

_430.jpeg

_432.jpeg

_433.jpeg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Specs: 9.01 mm and 5.86 ct
The composition is yet unknown but is currently studied.

_434.jpeg

_435.jpeg

_673.png

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
Acinom. Thanks for posting your garnet. I love seeing the rough and then the finished gem. Beautiful high crown

Thanks for your compliments on my collection. With only one set in a ring so far it's premature to compare. But the 6mm stones are almost always "on" and they are either on or off. They also seem to have a golden (like the metal) glow at times. The larger, precision cuts have a whole spectrum of personalities

As for setting I'm thinking high karat gold for the purple rectangle and white for the round. Any use of accent stone would be minimal and likely diamonds.

I know Yvonne Raley has sold a lot of these smaller garnets in 5mm pairs and various ovals. Any PS'ers among their owners??

Here is another picture of my big rectangle. I've dreamed of owning a gem like this- lots of finger coverage, dramatic all by its self

_34732.jpg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to chime in and say I'm also getting a pretty purple garnet. I fell in love with the color after seeing a post by acinom
(And that baby is luscious. :love:)
I contacted Jeff White and we picked out a good stone for me.

Here's a pic of the rough (his camera was not working so this is a cell phone shot).
image_3896.jpg

According to Jeff,It should cut a 1.6 to 2.4 ct. round. Clarity is very good, and color is similar to the one on Facebook (although a bit lighter due to the smaller size and maybe a touch more pink). It will be a magenta in incandescent light and a pinkish-purple in most other lights.

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
Elle!!!! (Elle_71125) Yay! That's great news. I think the final size of your garnet will be perfect. The rough looks great. I can't wait to see how it comes out. Welcome to the club!!!

I also know that Peter Torraca has cut some purple garnet on commission and it seems like there is still rough available though not much. Yvonne Raley has an oval on her site and so pre made pieces and Jordan Wilkins has a very large one up for sale. I'll look around and see who else may have one

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Sungura - yes, I have one from Yvonne. It's a 6 mm round. No pics right now bc I just changed phones and don't have my old pics saved here yet! It's pretty much just like the ones you have of hers, though (great collection btw!!)

I was very curious and wanted to see what they looked like in person, so she sent me one when I finished my last project with her about a month ago. I do think they're lovely, but I haven't felt the urge to get any more (though I certainly understand the impulse to collect multiples of the same kind of gem, believe me!!) I might set mine in a stacking ring in the same style as my pink Burmese spinel and Vietnamese spinel stackers by Stephanie/metalicious - then I could wear all 3 together. It would fit right in size wise, as the other two stones are 5 and 6 mm, and the garnet is also 6 mm. I think it would be good color wise too; one pink, one bluish violet, and one purple! I've been mulling it over but haven't come to a firm decision yet :) I completely love the stackers from metalicious but they're a bit pricey - not really overall, but in this instance I'd be spending about 2.5-3 times more for the setting than I did for the stone, and I don't like to do that in general. So I'm still thinking about it...

Great idea to start this thread, it was time!!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Oh and the Jeff White stones are incredible, really beautiful. I'm very partial to rounds so I think NKOTB's is my favorite, but wow, love that cut of acinom's too.

Eta a few pics of my garnet next to the stackers. I admit that I found it impossible to get all three gems looking good in the same pic - so I focused on the garnet :)

_34733.jpg

_34734.jpg

_34735.jpg

_34736.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
elle_71125|1443879497|3934444 said:
I just wanted to chime in and say I'm also getting a pretty purple garnet. I fell in love with the color after seeing a post by acinom
(And that baby is luscious. :love:)
I contacted Jeff White and we picked out a good stone for me.

Here's a pic of the rough (his camera was not working so this is a cell phone shot).
image_3896.jpg

According to Jeff,It should cut a 1.6 to 2.4 ct. round. Clarity is very good, and color is similar to the one on Facebook (although a bit lighter due to the smaller size and maybe a touch more pink). It will be a magenta in incandescent light and a pinkish-purple in most other lights.

Gorgeous piece of rough elle! I am really excited for you. Yours will be a great size.

Katharath: looking forward seeing yours from Yvonne.

Thank you all for your kind words about my purple garnet :wavey:

picante27

Shiny_Rock
Oooohhhhh, I'm excited to see all the beauties in this thread! :clap: I am also getting a purple garnet from Jeff White. I asked for a fat little pear to be cut. The rough is the same color as Acinom's gorgeous cushion. I can't wait to get it! I am trying to be patient, but have been obsessively checking my email lately...hoping for an update!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
katharath|1443888257|3934472 said:
Oh and the Jeff White stones are incredible, really beautiful. I'm very partial to rounds so I think NKOTB's is my favorite, but wow, love that cut of acinom's too.

Eta a few pics of my garnet next to the stackers. I admit that I found it impossible to get all three gems looking good in the same pic - so I focused on the garnet :)

Gorgeous stackers katharath. And I love that purple garnet!

Picante: happy waiting :wavey: Your pear will be fabulous.

arabella

Shiny_Rock
I am seriously drooling over all of these purple garnets. I definitely need to find one for myself... that's my next project for sure!! I must have one :))

The purple garnet I have is definitely different from the ones yall have been posting. I have emotionally detached myself from it because it's actually going to be a graduation gift for my sister from me and my parents. I live with her, and she totally thinks I bought it to add to my slightly out of control, growing collection. She told me today that I need to go to GA (Gemaholics Anonymous) :lol: I'm sneaking it off to my parents when I visit them next weekend so we can set it in a pendant.

Anyway, her garnet is concave cut and definitely leans toward being more of a red violet color than straight up purple. I tried my best to get some good pictures of it, but my camera doesn't want to take an accurate picture. There is much more purple, but the pictures kept shifting to a red color. It was frustrating! I actually got my phone to take a good picture in fluorescent lighting -- it is more accurate to the color I see, but still not quiiiite purple enough. It does look like the outdoor pictures under incandescent light though.

pg_fluorescent.jpg

pg_outside1.jpg

pg_outside2.jpg

pg_outside3.jpg

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
Katharath your 6mm round is really nice. It flashes the different colors like the larger stones. My 6mm seems to be more uniform in color but really neon. I like both. I love your gold stackers. But I also "get it" that to add this purple to you stack you would not only have to love the purple but also love it combined with the others or the price may not be worth it. I do like seeing the purple garnet with the yellow gold. I want to set one of mine in yellow gold but haven't tried putting the stone near anything yellow gold yet nor have I seen one set in yellow

Picante I'm so excited for you and your pear. I prefer fat pears to slimmer ones. I understand that a lot of the purple garnet rough is shaped well to cut pears. I've only seen one pear shape purple garnet. Jordan Wilkins (who cut my rectangle) recently listed this giant pear shape for sale . It's 4.88 ct/ 11x10x7.

_34741.jpg

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
Arabella thanks for posting your purple garnet. Concave cuts are so interesting to me. You sister is so lucky to get an unusual cut in a rare stone. I've never seen a concave cut in person. The color of your does look more red. That's for sharing what you see IRL. I've only seen one other come out that color. Is was a commissioned stone cut by Peter Torraca. Iit is very pretty. Im going to reach out to New Era Gems and ask if the rough looks different for the more purple or more red. Makes me wonder what my yet-to-be-cut will turn out to be

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sungura that purple pear garnet is gorgeous! I hope a PSer buys it so I can see some IRL pics. I love the "fat" shape, and the color shift is great as well. Thanks for sharing !

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Sungura|1443911640|3934579 said:
Katharath your 6mm round is really nice. It flashes the different colors like the larger stones. My 6mm seems to be more uniform in color but really neon. I like both. I love your gold stackers. But I also "get it" that to add this purple to you stack you would not only have to love the purple but also love it combined with the others or the price may not be worth it. I do like seeing the purple garnet with the yellow gold. I want to set one of mine in yellow gold but haven't tried putting the stone near anything yellow gold yet nor have I seen one set in yellow

Yes, you totally get me :). And thank you! I was surprised and impressed with the dispersion that I can see in my garnet. It photographs pretty well too, which is nice.

Your garnet collection is VERY nice!! I always love seeing your collection pics, you do such a great job of placing them in different scenes and with various colors, etc - I'm not really wording this well, I hope you know what I mean! And you have a ton of gorgeous gems and jewelry in your collection...it's definitely envy worthy.

Arabella - that's a beautiful gem, I'm sure your sister will love it!! And let's be honest, we probably all need to go to GA... Lol ;-)

Acinom - thank you. Your garnet is definitely more impressive than mine (sometimes I feel pretty silly even adding my small contributions to threads like these!) but I appreciate the kind words, and I do think mine is a nice little example :)

picante27

Shiny_Rock
That is a beautiful purple pear! And huge! Something about the fatter shape just appeals. I'm thinking mine is going to be a simple pendant, though rings are nice because you can stare at them all day. ..

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sungura - thanks for starting a thread. Garnets are becoming my favorite purple stone. I totally love your pairing them with color changed garnet (another favorite) and hope you don't mind if I use the combo in a ring someday. Amazing stones from JW and others too. Seems to be some great purple finds lately :love:

You were probably thinking of my pastel pyrope (from Earth's Treasury) which depending on the lighting can be very purple, very pink or purple with pink flashes.

ring-garnet-pastelpyrope__2_.jpg

The purple garnet below is just under 4 cts, cut by Dan Stair. Has bright pink flashes...reminds me that I need to get the prong fixed so I can wear again.

ring-garnet-purple__2_.jpg

I have some of the smaller neon purples from Yvonne which I haven't set (yet) and another purple garnet coming my way.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That stone looks like velvet arabella. Gorgeously warm color. What an amazing gift for your sister. She wil be so surprised.

lilmosun: you have stunning 'hidden treasures'. Would love to see a group pic of your stones and jewelry. Stunning pyrope and garnet!

Sungura: a yes that fat pear is a true dreamstone. Is it still available? I hope a PSer got it.

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
Yes Lilmosun I was thinking of your pastel pyrope. Didn't know you have the one from Dan Stair. Please post another picture of it when you get a chance. I agree with Acinom I think we need to see a group pic. Hmmm someone should start a thread for ring family pictures!!!

picante27 I think you will be able to enjoy seeing your purple garnet pear pendant. I have a modest sized vivid tanzanite in a simple pendant on a 17" chain. I can see it when I look down, but more importantly it is so vivid that it jumps out and calls for attention anytime I pass a mirror or shiny surface.

lovedogs thanks for stopping by. I'm sure you noticed that fat pear on Facebook. Jordan Wilkins is a very accomplished photographer and takes great glamour shots. I asked for a hand shot before buying mine. I actually like the IRL a bit better because of all the flash and movement

katharath. Thank you so much for your kind words about my collection. I'm humbled, honestly. I think we have a lot tastes in common.

arabella

Shiny_Rock
Sungura: Thank you so much for your kind words! :)) This was the first concave cut I've seen. It's a lot of fun to look at!

katharath: Thank you!! And yeah, probably so... PS is so enabling :D

Acinom: Velvet is a good descriptor for it!! It really looks like nothing else I have seen. Very fun to take out and stare at!

lilmosun: Your rings are neautiful! I love that big oval. The setting complements it very well.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone and setting OTL!

Chris: amazing stone! Fabulous colour.

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, love this thread!

Sungura, your collection is stunning. I, too, love the color change garnet combo- all the pieces you created are just stunning. Not to mention the photo compilation.On those purple leaves? I want to frame that, lol. (seriously. what is wrong with me) Oh well- enjoy your gems in good health, everyone.

Acinom... I need to check in on your thread- have you made any setting plans for your stunner? I am looking forward to the project. But don't rush. I don't want the big ban to hit! I don't know what will do without being able to enjoy watching you create these drool-worthy pieces.

Katharath, love your garnet with your stackers- looks amazing.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
all of the rings and stones on this thread are stunning!!

OTL: I love the combo of yours with the halo--it looks gorgeous.
Katharath: I love yours together, it's great to see two different yet similar purple stones together on those stackers :) EDIT: Just realized the other purple/pink might not be a garnet. Either way they are both great stones and the garnet is a beauty!
Acinom: that Jeff White is just stunning
Sungura: I went back to the beginning of this thread and died at your collection. So many beautiful purple hues! amazing!
Arabella: I would have a hard time not becoming emotionally attached to that stone! So unique and different with the concave cut!
Limosun: I love both of those rings! Especially because the different metals give such a different look to the stones!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Thanks apacherose!

Lovedogs - thank you, yes the set gems (pink and bluish violet, though it looks light blue in those pics) are spinels; just the purple is the garnet :)

GailRB

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I am happy to make my first post about my beautiful purple garnet. I purchased the rough from New Era Gems and had it cut by Peter Torraca. The final specs are 7.14ct., 13.05 x 9.02 x 7.13mm. The cut is called a "custom barrel". I am pretty sure that this is the stone that Sungura was referring to in an earlier post.

Sungura, it was a pleasure to meet you at the West Springfield gem show.

img_9552.jpg

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
So many wonderful additions!!!

OTL. Thanks for posting your purple garnet in the halo. I think that halo really enhances the garnet. I would love to wear that ring.

apacherose. Thanks for stopping by and thanks for admiring my collage. Those purple leaves are called Persian Shield. I am always putting colors together to see how they complement or compete. Not just gems and leaves and flowers, but almost anything I find lying around. It's like therapy for me... Chromatherapy I guess.

GailRB. Welcome to PS. Glad you made your debut here in the purple garnet thread. Yes I was referring to your "custom barrel" earlier in the thread. I admired in the first time a saw a picture but I love it now that I see the picture you posted here. Very lively. Would you share some more pictures with us? Is this picture what you see In Real Life (IRL) ? 13x9. Wow. What a gem. It was nice to meet you at the EAst Coast Gem Show and I'm glad we have connected here

GailRB

Rough_Rock
Sungura, The photo of the garnet, in my previous post, was taken with my iPhone, in day light. Other than cropping the size, the photo has not been altered. Depending on the lighting conditions, these Mozambique Rhodolites can show purple, red, or magenta.

I am only able to post one photo at a time, so here is one more; a semi-side angle showing a high crown.

Glad you like the stone. Peter did a beautiful job.

img_9566.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results