shape
carat
color
clarity

Purple Diamond

Is it real purple diamond?

• Purple Diamond

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Is a pencil type diamond tester accurate?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Hyacinth Rose

Rough_Rock
20160407_102639-1.jpg Hello guys! How accurate is a pencil type diamond tester? I have these earrings tested by a pencil type diamond tester at a pawnshop and they said it's real heart shaped purple diamonds. Please comment how accurate a pencil type diamond tester? I attached the picture of the earrings. Thanks!

Last edited:

Hyacinth Rose

Rough_Rock
20160407_102639-1.jpg Hello guys! How accurate is a pencil type diamond tester? I have these earrings tested by a pencil type diamond tester at a pawnshop and they said it's real heart shaped purple diamonds. Please comment how accurate a pencil type diamond tester? I attached the picture of the earrings. Thanks!

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They are very pretty, but I'm afraid those testers are pretty inaccurate.

If they are actual purple diamonds, they are either synthetic (unlikely--they look too old) or worth a whole lot of money.

Any jeweler should be able help you. To me they look like color change sapphires which were often sold as "Alexandrite" in the 1960s to 1970s. Try viewing them under bright daylight and in a dark room under an incandescent light bulb or flashlight. Color-change sapphire will go from blue to purplish-red.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The thermal type diamond testers are decently reliable within the context of what they're designed to do and when properly used. The trick is that pawn shop employees aren't necessarily well trained in the proper use. That's a matter of assessing the employees, not the stones. Some pawn shops also contain some serious experts.

PumpkinOrange

Rough_Rock

It does not look like purple diamonds in the picture the luster and faceting is undiamondlike and that alone is enough for me.

briolette

Shiny_Rock
If the stone is dirty, it'll mess with tester as well.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like amythest to me.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Agree with AprilBaby- they look like amethyst to me, too. They don't look like natural purple diamonds.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They aren’t purple diamonds. Either amythest or possibly CZ. Still very pretty. If the pawnshop wants to pay you ”diamond price”, I’d grab their money and run!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like tanzanite to me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results