shape
carat
color
clarity

purchasing vintage colored stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

17sjohn

Rough_Rock
I''''m looking to purchase a vintage canary yellow diamond ring. They date it to 1920, but reading farther into the description it states it has not been clarity enhanced, but may have been color enhanced. Can you tell me approx. what years they started color enhancing so I can accurately date the ring. I have fallen in love with the vintage style ring after receiving a 1920''''s 1/2 carat european mine cut ring. So I''''m looking more to date the ring to be confident it is not a chineese knock-off.
Thank you

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Hi, you might also want to post this in the jewelry section. Just out of curiosity, do you have a photo of the ring or a link to the web site?

17sjohn

Rough_Rock
I do not have a picture of it.....How do I post it in the jewelry section.
Thank you

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/13/2008 11:41:31 AM
Author: 17sjohn
I do not have a picture of it.....How do I post it in the jewelry section.

Thank you

You can msg the Admins to move this thread, or start a new one on the Jewelry forum (just click on the Diamond Prices and Grading link, and several subforums will show up).

LGK

Ideal_Rock
An antique diamond can be color enhanced at any date. Like, someone may have taken grandma''s top brown Old European Cut and had it irradiated ten years ago.

17sjohn

Rough_Rock
Was that technology around to enhance diamonds in the twenties?
Thank you

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
what LGK means it that the stone might be color enhance since the 20s by someone else in possession of the rock. So technology might not be around in the 20s to do that, but certainly in the late 90s.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What you need to do get any meaningful info is to get an independant professional appraiser to examine the diamond, and make the sale final on it checking out to your satisfaction in all aspects ( to include the diamond is not treated or colour enhanced in any way) otherwise anything else is speculation and risk. Who is selling the diamond, is it for sale with an online auction?

Here is a tool you can use to find an appraiser in your area.

https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Definitely follow Lorelei''s advice and find an appraiser to help you out!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results