shape
carat
color
clarity

Purchasing First Set of Pearls?

SinkingFun

Shiny_Rock
I'm looking at purchasing a set of pearls for my girlfriend for our 5 year (dating) anniversary. I was wanting help on selecting a set with the information I have.

I do know she has pearl earring and a necklace. Both are white and I do know that the necklace is quite old (30+ years, belonged to her grandmother) and I think they've lost their shimmer. She doesn't wear them often, but I think if there's sentimental value attached to them and they're prettier than what she has now, she'd want to wear them more frequently. So here are the two sets I'm looking at.

1. 6.5-7.0 mm White Freshadama Freshwater Pearl Set
http://www.pearlparadise.com/6570-mm-White-Freshadama-Freshwater-Pearl-Set922.aspx

2. 6.5-7.0 mm Lavender Freshadama Freshwater Pearl set
http://www.pearlparadise.com/6570-mm-Lavender-Freshadama-Freshwater-Pearl-set-2882.aspx

Is it safer to go with the white pearls or could I take a risk and get the lavender? And I've never purchased pearls in my life, so is this a good place to buy them and did I provide two good options? I'm open for ideas. Looking to stay under $500.

Thanks for the help in advance!

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
First, I thinked you chose an excellent place to buy your pearls. I've bought pearls from Pearl Paradise and have been absolutely thrilled with the quality of the pearls.

Both the white and the lavender sets are pretty. The only question in my mind about the lavender pearls are whether they will look good with your girlfriend's skin tone and the clothing colors she wears.

I'd suggest phoning Pearl Paradise and discussing your plans with them. They are incredibly helpful, and if you ask, they will send you photographs of a few sets so you can look at actual pictures of the item you might buy.

Is your GF pretty petite? How old is she? 6.5 is kind of small....
I think that 7.5 might be better?

SinkingFun

Shiny_Rock
bean|1325486820|3093335 said:
Is your GF pretty petite? How old is she? 6.5 is kind of small....
I think that 7.5 might be better?

She's petite, short and 21.

I'm thinking that I'll skip the set and just get a nice pearl necklace and pearl earrings. I don't know how often she'd wear a bracelet and this way I could get bigger pearls. Are freshwater pearls a good choice?

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome to the Pearl forum SinkingFun. Are you purchasing these pearls for your GF to wear in the professional workplace or casually? Just my opinion, but the whites are more classically elegant. They have to ability to be dressed up or down, where the lavenders are casual. If you choose the lavender strand, that may limit the clothing choices she has in her closet she can wear with them , as lavender will not go with everything.
I have two solid color freshwater strands from Pearl Paradise that are not white. I only have a handful of items I can wear them with. In fact, I had to have our fourm member 4RanchGirl help me figure out while chatting on the phone what I had in my closets to wear with one of the strands.
This strand is one color inside and a different one when you go outside. The color is unexplainable so you just can’t go to a store and match clothing to it. This never occurred to me when I had my strand created for my anniversary at Pearl Paradise.
Now with 4RG’s help, I have finally figured out what colors I can coordinate with them. I look for those colors while shopping to add more clothing those colors for my closet.
I do have two strands of white pearls, akoya and freshwater. I never wear them. I find I always choose a strand of Tahitian black pearls or my solid color freshwaters from PP. The white pearls seem too dressy for my casual lifestyle.
I am glad you are choosing to purchase such a great grade of pearls for her. The freshadama’s are really special, and they should be loved by her for a lifetime and passed on to others she loves later.

SinkingFun

Shiny_Rock
NacreLover|1325510052|3093405 said:
Welcome to the Pearl forum SinkingFun. Are you purchasing these pearls for your GF to wear in the professional workplace or casually? Just my opinion, but the whites are more classically elegant. They have to ability to be dressed up or down, where the lavenders are casual. If you choose the lavender strand, that may limit the clothing choices she has in her closet she can wear with them , as lavender will not go with everything.
I have two solid color freshwater strands from Pearl Paradise that are not white. I only have a handful of items I can wear them with. In fact, I had to have our fourm member 4RanchGirl help me figure out while chatting on the phone what I had in my closets to wear with one of the strands.
This strand is one color inside and a different one when you go outside. The color is unexplainable so you just can’t go to a store and match clothing to it. This never occurred to me when I had my strand created for my anniversary at Pearl Paradise.
Now with 4RG’s help, I have finally figured out what colors I can coordinate with them. I look for those colors while shopping to add more clothing those colors for my closet.
I do have two strands of white pearls, akoya and freshwater. I never wear them. I find I always choose a strand of Tahitian black pearls or my solid color freshwaters from PP. The white pearls seem too dressy for my casual lifestyle.
I am glad you are choosing to purchase such a great grade of pearls for her. The freshadama’s are really special, and they should be loved by her for a lifetime and passed on to others she loves later.

Thanks!

Like I said earlier, she has a set of white pearls and I don't see her wearing them very often. My objective is to get her a set of pearls that are more casual and I also agree that white is too professional looking.

I am thinking she'd like the lavender more than pink / peach, but I'm still trying to decide. If I purchased a full set (earring, bracelet, necklace), do you think she'd wear them all together at once - especially for a fancy night out - or would this be too overwhelming? I guess I'm just trying to find out if she'd wear the bracelet because I can only see her doing it on special days.

The options I'm considering after I've upped the size. Opinions on color and whether or not to get a set?

Pink / Peach:
http://www.pearlparadise.com/7580-mm-Pink-to-Peach-Freshadama-Freshwater-Pearl-Set2884.aspx

Lavender
http://www.pearlparadise.com/7580-mm-Lavender-Freshadama-Freshwater-Pearl-Set-2885.aspx

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I am voting for the Lavender set. The bracelet can be attached to the necklace to make a longer strand . This is good for the days she is wearing turtle necks or wants more length. Not all shirts will work with a standard strand of pearls. It's great to have extra matching pearls just incase she decides to have it restung to make her 18 inch a 20 or 24.

SinkingFun

Shiny_Rock
NacreLover|1325549802|3093734 said:
I am voting for the Lavender set. The bracelet can be attached to the necklace to make a longer strand . This is good for the days she is wearing turtle necks or wants more length. Not all shirts will work with a standard strand of pearls. It's great to have extra matching pearls just incase she decides to have it restung to make her 18 inch a 20 or 24.

So get an 18" necklace and not 16"?

And should I try to upgrade the fish clasp or is this pretty solid?

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Unless she is very petite the 16inch will be a choker on her neck. If she has other necklaces in her jewelry box. Sneak in and measure them. Most women have the lengh they love in their collection already. The clasps they include are lovely. I have only gotten ball clasps on my items from PP. They mimic the shape of the pearls so there is no interuption of shape on the back of the neck. They roll with the pearls as you wear them. Please let us know what you end up with and a picture of her in them if you want to share it with us. She's going to love anything you buy her I am sure.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I agree with NL, I would get 17 or 18 inch. I'm 5'7'' with a slender neck and the 16 inch is alright, but not very versatile. It always hangs within the collar of whatever you are wearing. I've been wearing 16 inch necklaces for years, and now am in the process of switching them all to 18 inches (occasionally 17 inches).

I have the multicolor freshadamas (in cool tones) and the white freshadamas (new purchase). I find that I am wearing the whites a whole lot (maybe because they are new?), and the multi's not so much however. You know your girlfriend best though :)) , and I've heard from others that the pastels are more versatile...

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I was around your gf's age when I bought my first strand of pearls - pink freshwater 6-7mm. Got a lot of wear out of them at the time. White seemed very stuffy at that age. So a pink or lavender strand might be a better option if she doesn't wear her white pearls often.

I would start with the necklace and see how much she likes and wears it. 18" is the better length IMO. You can always give her earrings and/or bracelet later on as a birthday or holiday gift.

SinkingFun

Shiny_Rock
baby monster|1325622782|3094232 said:
I think I was around your gf's age when I bought my first strand of pearls - pink freshwater 6-7mm. Got a lot of wear out of them at the time. White seemed very stuffy at that age. So a pink or lavender strand might be a better option if she doesn't wear her white pearls often.

I would start with the necklace and see how much she likes and wears it. 18" is the better length IMO. You can always give her earrings and/or bracelet later on as a birthday or holiday gift.

That's what I'm leaning towards right now, lavender specifically. Although I was thinking I'd give her earrings first and then the necklace on our 5 year date. I don't think she'll wear a bracelet very often because she's always washing her hands in school and will be doing the same in her profession.

So this is my choice:

http://www.pearlparadise.com/7580-mm-Lavender-Freshadama-Freshwater-Pearl-Necklace749.aspx

I'm not given the option to select a different clasp, so I'm going to have to call them and try to get the ball clasp attached to the necklace.
Does anyone have an opinion on white or yellow gold for the clasp? And 7.5-8.0 mm is a good size - not too large?

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
PP does do custom projects. Beautiful strand you selected. I bet she will love them. Are these pearls the exotic metallic multi color freshwaters?

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely strand! Come back and post photos!

I think you did well! Please post a picture if you can :bigsmile:

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
I think the necklace you chose is absolutely LOVELY! Please do post a photo of it when you receive it.

SinkingFun

Shiny_Rock
It's about time I get these up....

Initially, I thought they were too small. Now that I think about it though, I think she'll love the size and color. Pictures are below - enjoy!

Specs for those who care - they're the multicolored Freshadama pearls from PearlParadise. 7.5-8mm, 18" in length.

IMG_2313-2.jpg

IMG_2308-2.jpg

IMG_2304-2.jpg

]
IMG_2306-2.jpg

IMG_2317-2.jpg

IMG_2305-2.jpg

IMG_2303-2.jpg

IMG_2300-2.jpg

IMG_2301-2.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful strand. Thank you for posting your own photos of the strand. Very lucky lady.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results