shape
carat
color
clarity

Purchased a damaged Diamond need advice

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
I’m so sorry to hear about your situation when this should have been a happy time. Any retailers worth their salt should be addressing this problem and not trying to place blame on the customer. I agree with the others that you need to escalate this to someone with high enough authority to address your issue. Ask to speak to the manager and if he/she can’t help you ask for their manager and so on. Call the CEO if need be. It’s frustrating and shouldn’t take this much work on your part. I hope your issue will be resolved to your satisfaction. Good luck!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry, I seriously doubt there has ever been an issue with this diamond.
Please, as Dave requested, post a decent sized full color plot from the GIA report.
I expect there is and has always been a natural on the girdle and that you are all jumping to conclusions that are simply wrong.
Prove me wrong please.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please, as Dave requested, post a decent sized full color plot from the GIA report.
I expect there is and has always been a natural on the girdle and that you are all jumping to conclusions that are simply wrong.
Prove me wrong please.

Actually, that’s exactly what I said in my first post, #13. Very possible no one damaged anything - the stone might be in exactly the condition described on the report, because for some reason GIA likes to label surface-reaching inclusions as “internal”.

That said, if the vendor is now refusing to accept a return because they claim OP damaged it, that’s unacceptable.

OP posted the full report in Post #23.

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
Worse case scenario, no help from vendor, is your diamond insured? You may need to file an insurance claim.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
That said, if the vendor is now refusing to accept a return because they claim OP damaged it, that’s unacceptable.

Thanks Yssie, I did not see the attachment - it helps when people post the images.
There certanily could be an opening caused during polishing.
GIA could be the arbitor.
1617835786638.png

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
It’s really heartbreaking to read something like this. Despite how this chip comes to be, I think this vendor totally missed the opportunity to gain a customer for life. Brand reputation and customer service are of utmost importance especially when dealing with high value, highly emotive items. Nowadays when customers have so many options both online and in person, the vendor could have handled the situation in a much more positive manner—be more transparent, have open and honest communications, offered options. They could have turned this unfortunate issue into an amazing customer experience story. 2.6 ct is no small change and regardless of the size of the diamond, the vendor could have stepped up and addressed this better. I’m no expert on diamonds, just like these shiny rocks and that’s why I’m on this forum to learn. Even as a novice, I also recognized the images and think I know where it’s from. Now others are going to know about this bad experience as well. I get better service from Nordstrom buying sweaters.

OP, I truly truly hope the outcome turns out to be positive for you and that this doesn’t mar the experience of your special time.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Prove me wrong please.

The vendor doesn't appear to be disputing that the stone is damaged. Indeed, damage is the reason for refusing the return in the first place. The question seems to revolve around who damaged it and when.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, that’s exactly what I said in my first post, #13. Very possible no one damaged anything - the stone might be in exactly the condition described on the report, because for some reason GIA likes to label surface-reaching inclusions as “internal”.

If it's surface breaching, the inclusion should be notated in both red and green. I'm not sure why it wasn't, but it would be an indication to me that something happened after it was graded.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it's surface breaching, the inclusion should be notated in both red and green. I'm not sure why it wasn't, but it would be an indication to me that something happened after it was graded.
My experience (of submitting a stone that I know had surface breaching features, and getting a GIA report with only red inclusions) indicates to me that GIA is not 100% consistent on what they call “external”. My stone came back an SI2. I posted about it here on PS several years ago.

Not saying this is the case here - we don’t know nearly enough to say. But it’s not out of the realm of possibility. “It” meaning that no one damaged the stone, that condition is exactly what it was when it was submitted to GIA.

Last edited:

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My experience (of submitting a stone that I know had surface breaching features, and getting a GIA report with only red inclusions) indicates to me that GIA is not 100% consistent on what they call “external”. My stone came back an SI2. I posted about it here on PS several years ago.

Not saying this is the case here - we don’t know nearly enough to say. But it’s not out of the realm of possibility. “It” meaning that no one damaged the stone, that condition is exactly what it was when it was submitted to GIA.

Yes, I see what you mean. I'm just saying that it's technically incorrect if the grader didn't acknowledge and notate that it is a surface breaching characteristic. They made a huge deal out of that in the diamond grading lab. Makes me wonder exactly what's going on in the lab.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I see what you mean. I'm just saying that it's technically incorrect if the grader didn't acknowledge and notate that it is a surface breaching characteristic. They made a huge deal out of that in the diamond grading lab. Makes me wonder exactly what's going on in the lab.
This was several years ago - no idea what if anything has been changed since then! I remember being quite surprised at the time, but I shrugged it off like I do questionable fluor grades.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This was several years ago - no idea what if anything has been changed since then! I remember being quite surprised at the time, but I shrugged it off like I do questionable fluor grades.

I don't blame you for being surprised. I hope you still love your diamond though.

chloe112233

Rough_Rock
It’s really heartbreaking to read something like this. Despite how this chip comes to be, I think this vendor totally missed the opportunity to gain a customer for life. Brand reputation and customer service are of utmost importance especially when dealing with high value, highly emotive items. Nowadays when customers have so many options both online and in person, the vendor could have handled the situation in a much more positive manner—be more transparent, have open and honest communications, offered options. They could have turned this unfortunate issue into an amazing customer experience story. 2.6 ct is no small change and regardless of the size of the diamond, the vendor could have stepped up and addressed this better. I’m no expert on diamonds, just like these shiny rocks and that’s why I’m on this forum to learn. Even as a novice, I also recognized the images and think I know where it’s from. Now others are going to know about this bad experience as well. I get better service from Nordstrom buying sweaters.

OP, I truly truly hope the outcome turns out to be positive for you and that this doesn’t mar the experience of your special time.

Thank you, I really hope so as well. This whole ordeal has actually been quite stressful and I never would have imagined to have to go through this given the reputation and size of this retailer.

chloe112233

Rough_Rock
This is ridiculous. You have direct evidence, using photos taken by THEM, that it was there before you got it and direct evidence in the form of the GIA report that it was NOT there on some date shortly before that. GIA keeps good notes on things that they see but that aren't included in the reports for whatever reason. If there's any debate at all that this wasn't there when the report was prepared, they should be able to discuss it with you.

Thank you for your insight and helpful advice. Hopefully they will take responsibility and deliver the customer service they guarantee and market. I'm just really glad that these inclusions or chip at least show up in the photos. From the way they were sounding on the phone and mentioning how this couldn't have happened in their care since they do such excellent quality control leads me to know with certainty that they would not believe a word I say if these pictures didn't show some seriously suspicious inclusion or markings and woulnd't even try to investigate if not for the photos.

chloe112233

Rough_Rock
Thanks Yssie, I did not see the attachment - it helps when people post the images.
There certanily could be an opening caused during polishing.
GIA could be the arbitor.
1617835786638.png

Thank you for your review and insight it is greatly appreciated. The comment I keep getting is that the chip is not naturally occurring on the diamond and is caused by trauma, hopefully the vendor will investigate further.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What vendor is this?

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Setting a diamond can cause “trauma”. You didn’t set it, they did, correct?

Lara Abi

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone, recently my fiance has purchased a 2.6 carat diamond from a huge online diamond retailer. Once received it was noticed right away that there is a chip on the diamond and I was able to feel it by running my finger across the bottom of the diamond and it was snagging. This was not noted in the GIA report, however upon closer inspection from the online photos I can actually see the damage, I of course didn't catch it prior to purchasing the diamond. It was returned the same day as received. That said, it has been over a month and the retailer has noted that the diamond is actually damaged due to trauma and that they 'inspect' all diamonds prior to shipping it out, suggesting that I had damaged the diamond and now they cannot accept the return as it is not in original condition. I had the ring for about an hour and it was not dropped or hit against anything! I was hoping to get some advice, and see if the community agrees that the diamond appears damaged prior on the listing itself. I have included magnified photos of the area that is chipped or snagged. On the GIA report it is only noted that there are clouds and inclusions near the edge, but never a crack or anything! I find its obvious from the zoomed in photo especially given that there is a weird light reflecting onto the bottom of the diamond where the chip or crack is. These are the photos taken off of their website, it is taken of the diamond prior to being sold and shipped to me. Is it normal for inclusions to reflect like that? Any advice is appreciated.
diamond damage 2.png diamond damage 2.png Screenshot 2021-04-06 181114.png Screenshot 2021-04-06 181204.png diamond damage.png

Shipping insurance should cover it

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very worrying knee jerk reaction from the vendor in question.

You were delivered damaged goods and alerting them within the time window you stated should have lead to much more reassuring return process

This. Out the vendor. This is definitely a cautionary tale of purchasing online vs B&M where you can scrutinize your item before you take possession. A while ago I posted a thread and asked how many people would take their ring to an appraiser after purchasing it online and the majority voted that there was no need to. I thought it was such a trusting attitude at the time and that maybe I was missing something? Like. These vendors stand behind their products so no one here doubts them—but this incident seems to be proving my suspicion and fears correct. At the time, I was trying to advise my sister bc she was reluctant to purchase online to begin with. In the end she did and did not take it to an appraiser—but she did insure the stone—but she insured it after she took possession of it with the vendor’s original appraisal. I mention this bc I wonder if insurance can step in and help?

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
"how many people would take their ring to an appraiser"

This! I always take major purchases for an evaluation by a reputable independent appraiser.

I always took my items to get appraised if I bought them online or from trips abroad just for my own peace of mind.

@chloe112233, may I ask how things are going on the ring front?

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Everyone, recently my fiance has purchased a 2.6 carat diamond from a huge online diamond retailer. Once received it was noticed right away that there is a chip on the diamond and I was able to feel it by running my finger across the bottom of the diamond and it was snagging. This was not noted in the GIA report, however upon closer inspection from the online photos I can actually see the damage, I of course didn't catch it prior to purchasing the diamond. It was returned the same day as received. That said, it has been over a month and the retailer has noted that the diamond is actually damaged due to trauma and that they 'inspect' all diamonds prior to shipping it out, suggesting that I had damaged the diamond and now they cannot accept the return as it is not in original condition. I had the ring for about an hour and it was not dropped or hit against anything! I was hoping to get some advice, and see if the community agrees that the diamond appears damaged prior on the listing itself. I have included magnified photos of the area that is chipped or snagged. On the GIA report it is only noted that there are clouds and inclusions near the edge, but never a crack or anything! I find its obvious from the zoomed in photo especially given that there is a weird light reflecting onto the bottom of the diamond where the chip or crack is. These are the photos taken off of their website, it is taken of the diamond prior to being sold and shipped to me. Is it normal for inclusions to reflect like that? Any advice is appreciated.
diamond damage 2.png diamond damage 2.png Screenshot 2021-04-06 181114.png Screenshot 2021-04-06 181204.png diamond damage.png

Chloe who is the Vendor?

crow

Rough_Rock
Did you contact your bank? I would let them know what is happening to see if maybe they could assist you. I checked the complaint categories listed at the Consumer Financial Protection Agency; they have a complaint category for Wire Transfers.

I am having problems with domestic or international wire transfers, remittances, or international money transfers. What can I do?​

Your rights under federal or state law may vary, including depending on the way you sent the money (for example, wire transfer, electronic payment, etc.).
If you have a problem, contact your company right away and explain the issue. You can also submit a complaint with the CFPB online or by calling (855) 411-CFPB (2372). You also may be able to submit a complaint with your state regulator .

Something to think about if they flat out refuse to work with you.

chloe112233

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, thank you for all of your input. All of your comments was used when I had to explain the situation to the retailer and they have now issued a full refund since returning the diamond ( although it took over a month and dozens of phone calls emails and photo evidence ). I would like to say that as of today the diamond is back up for sale on their website for the same price as before and without noting this “chip” or damage that justified their initial rejection of my return. Maybe they chose to ignore the damage or maybe they have deemed it a natural occurring chip and no need to fix or note it. I would say buyer beware from my personal experience and I would personally not shop with this retailer again due to this experience. I have attached photos that I just saw from their website and hope to share this experience with everyone as I hope no one from this community will ever have to go through what I did in this situation. All the photos are screenshot from today ( April 27th 2021) about a week after they have issued the refund to me 9764E1E7-5A97-4343-9763-65505DBE4A6B.jpeg

Attachments

• 4FAF9EA0-2F61-47A0-8F44-3B44B1989DDB.jpeg
    4FAF9EA0-2F61-47A0-8F44-3B44B1989DDB.jpeg
    86.6 KB · Views: 11
  • BC93E2B6-17D4-45B0-9558-759AF41A4D6C.jpeg
    BC93E2B6-17D4-45B0-9558-759AF41A4D6C.jpeg
    93.1 KB · Views: 11

chloe112233

Rough_Rock
Setting a diamond can cause “trauma”. You didn’t set it, they did, correct?

No, they set the ring. I had the ring for less than 24 hours before it noticed it. Since the return they have put it up for sale again.

sprinklesparkles

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone, thank you for all of your input. All of your comments was used when I had to explain the situation to the retailer and they have now issued a full refund since returning the diamond ( although it took over a month and dozens of phone calls emails and photo evidence ). I would like to say that as of today the diamond is back up for sale on their website for the same price as before and without noting this “chip” or damage that justified their initial rejection of my return. Maybe they chose to ignore the damage or maybe they have deemed it a natural occurring chip and no need to fix or note it. I would say buyer beware from my personal experience and I would personally not shop with this retailer again due to this experience. I have attached photos that I just saw from their website and hope to share this experience with everyone as I hope no one from this community will ever have to go through what I did in this situation. All the photos are screenshot from today ( April 27th 2021) about a week after they have issued the refund to me 9764E1E7-5A97-4343-9763-65505DBE4A6B.jpeg

Wow, this is disappointing.

chloe112233

Rough_Rock
I always took my items to get appraised if I bought them online or from trips abroad just for my own peace of mind.

@chloe112233, may I ask how things are going on the ring front?

Hi there, refund has been issued although it was argued for a while and thank goodness the photo shows the damage. I wouldn’t have a single leg to stand on without it and they made that so clear when initially rejecting my return. I have posted an update regarding the ring being up again on their website.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results