shape
carat
color
clarity

Pulled the trigger. Was this a good deal?

AlexK

Rough_Rock
I thought I covered all the bases during my search for a diamond, but after buying it I realized that it was a bit shallow (table % outside of the ideal, crown angle too small). I was concentrating on all the other specs and thought that the HCA score (which is excellent on this stone) would guarantee good proportions.

I posted my concerns on another forum, and the consensus was that the proportions of this stone would possibly result in slightly less fire but more brilliance with greater spread, which is an acceptable compromise, and that this was a pretty good deal. I did look at this stone in person, side by side next to other stones with "better" proportions, and it certainly did not lack in brilliance.

- 1.40 carats
- I color (in a yellow gold setting, so it didn't need to be too high, but it still faces up white)
- VS2
- 1.1 HCA
- Excellent cut, polish, symmetry
- No fluorescence
- Large diameter for the weight (obviously because it's slightly shallow)

Spent exactly $9k, including the setting, which has .32 carats (H-I, SI1).

What do you think?

GIA: http://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=5172736593

r.png

hca_4.jpg

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Others will comment on the diamond, but does it bother you that it is set crookedly? The table is not symmetrically in line with the prongs, and I wouldn't be able to live with that.

AlexK

Rough_Rock
Tourmaline|1471982931|4069145 said:
Others will comment on the diamond, but does it bother you that it is set crookedly? The table is not symmetrically in line with the prongs, and I wouldn't be able to live with that.

It's not nearly as noticeable in real life, but yeah I'm planning to take it back to have that fixed. Also noticed that one of the prongs (bottom right in the pic) doesn't look as tightly latched on to the diamond as the other ones.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, it looks lovely. It's more of a 60/60 stone which tends more towards white light return due to the lower crown
angle.

I'm not seeing the crookedness.

AlexK

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1471984712|4069165 said:
Well, it looks lovely. It's more of a 60/60 stone which tends more towards white light return due to the lower crown
angle.

I'm not seeing the crookedness.

It's twisted just slightly clockwise.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty nice - you got all excellents on the hca. Post some shots of the profile. And of course we will want hand shots. !! Congrats!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The time to ask about the diamond is preferably before it is purchased. Is the diamond good? Yes, there are many worse! Could we have recommended better cut stones? Yes. If it were bad, we'd recommend returning, but it's not.

Since you already have bought the diamond, I would definitely get the jeweler to replace the head of that ring. It does appear to be crooked.

AlexK

Rough_Rock
Bumping for more opinions.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results