shape
carat
color
clarity

Public proposal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

robd216

Rough_Rock
I''ve met the most wonderful woman...Polish immigrant, naturalized US Citizen of 12 years. We''ve been together for approximately 2 years. Will now live together with her nearly 4 year old daughter. We''ve discussed getting married and having kids, so we are prepared. We''ve also looked at a few rings on-line, just so I can get a good idea what she likes.

I''m thinking about taking her to her first ever pro baseball game (White Sox), with front row seats and a proposal on the big screen. I''ve told her that baseball games are crazy...never know what will happen there. Thoughts about this are welcome. It''s either that or at Niagara Falls.

davidgelb

Rough_Rock
Congrats robd216!!

I think the answer to your question really depends on the type of person your future fiancee is! I know my girlfriend would be so embarrassed if I proposed to her in public. For her, even proposing in front of friends or family would be too much. I plan to take her somewhere private and quiet and propose there. With that said, if your girlfriend is an outgoing person who loves to be the center of attention, that may be appropriate. Just remember that the proposal will be a very special and private thing...you don''t want to overwhelm or embarass her.

Might be good to get an opinion from some of the women on this forum as well...

Hope this helps - let us know what ends up happening!

-David
35.gif

robd216

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply David. It might be a bit much...maybe something like on the rocks in Carmel, CA would be better. Not that I''m a cheapskate...but I do have a budget. I would rather spend it on extra carats than on airfare, but maybe that''s not the most romantic thing.

At this point, I''m still searching for the most romantic, memorable way to do this.

davidgelb

Rough_Rock
Rob,
I haven''t proposed yet, but I can guarantee that the proposal itself is going to be the romantic thing! I don''t think you have to feel that you have to spend a ton of money to propose. You will have a ring and you will be asking her to marry you...I think that in iteself would be enough. I am planning to go to a nice dinner and a romantic walk on the beach (a private beach, so there won''t be a lot of people around) and I will propose there. I completely understand having a budget (as I am on a very tight one myself!)...don''t feel like you have to spend a ton of money to propose...I don''t think she would expect that either.

I hope this helps...

-David
35.gif

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Can you tell us a little more about your fiancee? What''s her personal style? Is she outspoken, outgoing, flamboyant, and likes to be the center of attention, or more reserved, traditional, quiet, or shy?

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, just wanted to add my input here. A public proposal at a ballgame and one on the rocks at Carmel are at the opposite ends of the pole from each other. If you feel that the latter is more appropriate, I would avoid the ball game proposal all together, because people react in the strangest ways when they''re embarrassed.

I saw a video on youtube once where a guy proposed at a basketball game. His startled girlfriend stammered no, and ran off the court crying her eyes out. Never did find out what happened.

Good luck with your proposal, and if you can, please try to tell us more about her likes and dislikes so we can give more input.

SeattleSparkle

Brilliant_Rock
It really does depend on her. Coming from someone who Loves to be the center of attention, I would not want to be proposed to at a baseball game, personally. I wouldn''t want to share my spotlight with those celebrating anniversaries and birthdays ... it''s just a fleeting moment and getting engaged is something I''d want to relish for awhile.

I don''t know, just my personal opinion. It really depends on your future fiance!!

Kay

Ideal_Rock
It really depends on her personality. Personally, I would have been mortified to be proposed to on the big screen at a game. I don''t even like restaurant proposals. I think a walk along the beach, or something similarly private and romantic (like a picnic in a lovely park), would be perfect.

As far as budget, I would rather have more money go into the ring, than airfare, renting screen time at a game, etc. What will make the proposal romantic and memorable is what you say to her (and the fact that you will spend the rest of your lives together) -- an over-the-top or expensive location is not required.

robd216

Rough_Rock
I've thought about it for a few days and I have decided against the public proposal idea. She is really too shy & modest...she would probably have a heart attack on the spot if I did that at a White Sox game. I'll stick with the romantic approach. I'll do it on the beach on Hilton Head Island, SC. I am in the process of buying investment property down there, and we plan to move from Chicago to that area eventually.

Thanks to everyone for making me really think about this.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my goodness, I adore Hilton Head. What a nice place for a proposal. What part of the island are you looking at?

firstbase32

Shiny_Rock
if you''re still looking for ideas....i proposed in chicago and then we went to a Cubs game after....but i proposed in a small church garden right across the street from the John Hancock building...there''s a small fountain in the middle and we both threw in a penny and made a wish and then i proposed right there in the heart of downtown but there was no one around.....you could have the white sox instead of proposing there put up a Congrats message or something....i wanted to propose at the cubs game but they said they don''t do that...soooo....good luck with it!

Go Blue 99

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/1/2006 11:42:43 PM
Author: Cinderella
Hi, just wanted to add my input here. A public proposal at a ballgame and one on the rocks at Carmel are at the opposite ends of the pole from each other. If you feel that the latter is more appropriate, I would avoid the ball game proposal all together, because people react in the strangest ways when they''re embarrassed.

I saw a video on youtube once where a guy proposed at a basketball game. His startled girlfriend stammered no, and ran off the court crying her eyes out. Never did find out what happened.

Good luck with your proposal, and if you can, please try to tell us more about her likes and dislikes so we can give more input.

That rejected proposal was actually a scam. I forget which team it was, but they staged it to get publicity (which worked).

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Wouldn''t it be neat to rig up a seashell to hold the ring? You could just pretend to pick it up from the beach, and have her turn it over or open it...

devientdrow

Brilliant_Rock
Just wanted to let you know i''m glad you canned the public proposal thing. You always see it in movies and the such but most people I know would not like something SOO public. Actually when I was younger I had an xboyfriend who was a musician. He came into my job (I was working retail) with his guitar and a huge smile on his face. He got down on one knee and started playing and I ran to the back of the store and outside. I all but hyperventilated. I panicked terribly and then felt pressured considering all my co workers came outside asking what was wrong with me, what he was doing was so sweet ect ect ect. Needless to say he left and just waited for my shift to end. hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results